Road Trips You Want To Go On At Least Once In Your Life

Started by US 41, September 08, 2014, 04:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 17, 2015, 12:36:40 PM
Something I thought of while watching last week's F1 race on the DVR: The Nürburgring!
Until last week I would have agreed with you, but track management just put speed limits on certain sections of it. I get why they're doing it, to some extent, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a race track!
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/nurburgring-ceo-officially-confirms.html
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 23, 2015, 09:43:45 AM
Quote from: Takumi on December 19, 2014, 10:54:55 PM
-US 17 end to end
Quote from: Rothman on June 21, 2015, 11:41:28 PM
Eh, oldies but goodies:
--Drive US 202 in its entirety.
Those two seem like they might be interesting. I'm not sure why Rothman thinks US 202 is an oldie but goodie, but it still raises a little curiosity for me.

Just typing quickly past my bedtime.  I thought others had at least mentioned US 2 and Alaska and Overseas Highways are pretty common, as well as Tail of the Dragon.  I suppose McCarthy Road and US 202 aren't in that mix.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

Quote from: NE2 on September 09, 2014, 10:12:20 AM
I'd like to drive over a bridge that collapses while I'm on it.
Reading this comment reminded me of the afternoon in January 1996 when a commuter train I missed boarding by 30 seconds wound up hitting a tractor-trailer in Wakefield (MA).  A couple of days later, my boss, who knew I was a train guy, asked me if I would have liked to have been on that train.  My response was an immediate and emphatic "No way!". (BTW, to this day I will never curse at having missed a train or bus)

To get back to the topic at hand, my two "would love to do at least once" road trips are the Overseas Highway and the Dalton Highway.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

--Drive US 202 in its entirety.  Not sure what draws me to it, other than it just seems like a very strangely routed "spur" off of US 2 (I guess a lot of people in Bangor wanted to go to Delaware), the fact that I grew up near the road, and the variety of landscapes it passes through (rural & urban).  Heck, even just in Massachusetts, it passes through the hills west of the Quabbin and then hits the decaying cities of Holyoke and Westfield. 

Right there with you.  I have lived, worked, gone to school, and played at multiple points along this route that I like to think of as the Northeast (Service) Corridor, sort of the back hallway to US 1's main drag.  Runs through and near many of my favorite places. 

JakeFromNewEngland

I'd love to travel the whole length of US 1. I know someone who drove down US 1 all the way from it's starting point in Maine all the way down to the Keys and they said it was one of their most favorite trips. It'd be awesome to see the change in scenery on the way down. I'd also love to travel the whole length of I-90 from Boston to Seattle.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on June 26, 2015, 01:28:56 AM
I'd love to travel the whole length of US 1. I know someone who drove down US 1 all the way from it's starting point in Maine all the way down to the Keys and they said it was one of their most favorite trips. It'd be awesome to see the change in scenery on the way down. I'd also love to travel the whole length of I-90 from Boston to Seattle.

In the late 70s or early 80s, there was a National Geographic piece called "A Journey Down Old U.S. 1."   After that piece, I always concluded Route 1 had "been done"–it was the 5s and 202s that held true mystery.

That said, I get 1's allure.  It tells a much more evolutionary tale of its ancient (for the U.S.) surroundings than 95 does.

TheHighwayMan3561

US 61 (and decommissioned/remarked MN portions).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Buffaboy

- Cross country on both I-90 and I-80

- Any interstates with deserts near them (I-10, I-8)

- The I-55 bridge north of New Orleans

- A fully completed 219 and beltway around Buffalo NY
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

wphiii

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 26, 2015, 07:02:41 AM
In the late 70s or early 80s, there was a National Geographic piece called "A Journey Down Old U.S. 1."   After that piece, I always concluded Route 1 had "been done"–it was the 5s and 202s that held true mystery.

That said, I get 1's allure.  It tells a much more evolutionary tale of its ancient (for the U.S.) surroundings than 95 does.

I also feel like U.S. 1 has lost its romance somewhat due to the extensive chunks of it that have been made into big four-lane arterial or limited access freeway that traverses a sprawly, homogenous built environment. If I ever do undertake following a single long-distance U.S. route from beginning to end, I'd want it to be one where there's something new and different around every bend, and I just think that goes missing enough on 1 to diminish any desire I might have had to tour the whole thing some day. But horses for courses and all that.

D-Dey65

Back in my November trip to the New York Tri-State area, one of the items on my itinerary was some pictures of Mount Kisco's old New York Central Railroad station, but on the way back, rather than stopping at Grand Central Terminal, I decided to stop at Fordham Plaza, and I walked Fordham Road from there to Pelham Parkway station on the IRT White Plains Road Line. Along the way, it barely phased me that this was part of U.S. 1.

sipes23

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 02, 2015, 11:31:28 AM
- Cross country on both I-90 and I-80

Luckily there's plenty of concurrency between the two.

90 has some really wonderful parts. It's also got some tremendously boring parts, but on the whole the wonderful beats the boring. 80, on the other hand, is brutal across the plains. The levels of truck traffic on it are much higher (in my experience) than on 90. Both are pretty busy though.

noelbotevera

-Finish off The Netherlands highway system
-Finish off I-95 start to finish
-Finish off US 322
-Start on I-40 west of Raleigh

It's short.

ET21

Chicago to:

1. Denver
2. Oklahoma City (storm chasing  :D )
3. Dallas
4. Miami

Pacific Coast Highway
US-101
Historic Route 66
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

skaguy

I've always wanted to drive all of US 50.  I've been on pieces of it from Colorado to Maryland, but the longest contiguous stretch I currently have is from Clarksburg, WV to Ocean City, MD. 

Rothman

I should add that I also want to drive the length of MN/ND/MT 200.  I worked for attorneys in Duluth, MN that would take that route on the return from courthouses in Fargo and Grand Forks since they could stop and fish at whichever lake they chose along the route.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

berberry

There are several, but the one that has been in my mind recently is the highway that runs through China's Guoliang Tunnel. Google that and have a look if you haven't heard of it; it's one of the world's most remarkable tunnels, mostly because of where it goes and how it was constructed. In fact, I think the story of the tunnel's construction would make a great movie.

There are some excellent videos of this tunnel on youtube.

TravelingBethelite

Definitely clinch US 6, 20, 30, 52, and 62
Also clinch US 1, 41, 281,  and the other long n-s highways
A grand tour of the United States (Perhaps see all the lower 48 capitals)
A trip around the Canadian Maritimes
Clinch the Trans-Canada Highway
The entireity of I-90-always wanted to.  :cool:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

iBallasticwolf2

Click I-75 North of Dayton and south of the FL turnpike extension.
Grand tour of Seattle, Memphis, and Phenoix.
Grand Tour of California, Florida, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Texas and Northeast.
I-70 in Utah and I-70 Denver and west.

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

jwolfer

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on June 26, 2015, 01:28:56 AM

Someone wrote a book about their road trip on the entire length of US 1. I read it about 25 years ago. I couldn't tell you the name.
Quote from: Takumi on June 23, 2015, 10:00:22 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 17, 2015, 12:36:40 PM
Something I thought of while watching last week's F1 race on the DVR: The Nürburgring!
Until last week I would have agreed with you, but track management just put speed limits on certain sections of it. I get why they're doing it, to some extent, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a race track!
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/nurburgring-ceo-officially-confirms.html

leroys73

I just finished a 9000 mile motorcycle trip to Alaska and Yellowknife, Northwest Territory, so that is one trip off of my list below.  Newfoundland along with Labrador is on my schedule for early to mid June 2016. 

Now I have driven all states (including DC) and all Canadian provinces with paved roads except Newfoundland.  I've seen Mexico while driving also.  I have ridden my made in the USA Honda VTX 1300R motorcycle in 49 states; Washington, DC; and 8 provinces. Might do a small part of Mexico in October on it.

Quote from: leroys73 on November 16, 2014, 05:25:15 PM
The only state I have yet to drive in is Alaska so a road trip to there along with Yellowknife is my number one.  I want to do it by motorcycle and again by 4 wheels.

Next would be to ride my motorcycle up to Newfoundland and Labrador.  I have driven to Nova Scotia but didn't make the ferry trip to NL.

These both should be finished by 2016 if my plans are not interrupted again next summer.   

I've driven from Munich to Athens via Yugoslavia (August 1968) but I'd still like to do it on a motorcycle and continue on to Istanbul with a return up through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, and Czech Republic.  I know there are tours for this but the $$$ are the limiting factor.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

The Nature Boy

I really want to finish my clinch of I-95.

I just need Bangor to Houlton and the last 20 miles or so down in Florida.

sipes23

Quote from: leroys73 on August 30, 2015, 04:41:29 PM
I just finished a 9000 mile motorcycle trip to Alaska and Yellowknife, Northwest Territory, so that is one trip off of my list below.  Newfoundland along with Labrador is on my schedule for early to mid June 2016. 

I've heard the Trans-Labrador Highway is amazing. I'll live if I don't make that trip, but it is on my radar.

D-Dey65

--Drive US 202 in its entirety.  Not sure what draws me to it, other than it just seems like a very strangely routed "spur" off of US 2 (I guess a lot of people in Bangor wanted to go to Delaware), the fact that I grew up near the road, and the variety of landscapes it passes through (rural & urban).  Heck, even just in Massachusetts, it passes through the hills west of the Quabbin and then hits the decaying cities of Holyoke and Westfield.
Again with US 202; if you haven't been through Croton Falls, you might consider getting a shot of this;

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?61697

I'd almost consider getting a shot myself if I get a chance to go up there this month.

US 41

My newest goal is to drive through 49 US states, 10 Canadian Provinces, 2 Canadian territories, and 31 Mexican states. (Hawaii, Nunavut, and any other US territory is not on my list. If a road is ever built to Nunavut then it will be on my to do list.)

Currently I've drove in 13 states and 2 provinces. (However I have been to 31 states.)

Basically a road trip to Alaska and to Cancun is on the distant radar. I don't plan on ever leaving North America (US, Canada, and Mexico) again in my lifetime. Spain was a great experience, but there are plenty of places to see in North America. God put me on this wonderful continent for a reason.

Another goal of mine is to never fly in a jet ever again. I literally hate flying. This is a pretty big factor in the above plan.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Rothman

Quote from: US 41 on September 18, 2015, 12:15:58 AM
My newest goal is to drive through 49 US states, 10 Canadian Provinces, 2 Canadian territories, and 31 Mexican states. (Hawaii, Nunavut, and any other US territory is not on my list. If a road is ever built to Nunavut then it will be on my to do list.)

Hawaii is a state, not a territory. :ded:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.