Waterparks mentioned on freeway exit guide signs

Started by KCRoadFan, August 09, 2020, 12:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

You know those signs you see leading up to an exit on a freeway - usually before the main sign for the exit itself? I'm talking about those supplementary guide signs, the ones that mention other towns aside from the ones already referenced on the main sign, as well as various attractions and points of interest that can be accessed from the upcoming exit.

Anyway, because I love waterparks so much (as is known from the description that appears every time I make a post), that got me thinking: throughout the country, what waterparks are mentioned on those freeway guide signs seen in advance of an exit? I know of several examples, one of them being right here in my hometown of Kansas City: namely, a sign for Oceans of Fun that can be seen before exit 54 (48th Street/Parvin Road) on I-435. In addition, here are a handful of examples that I've seen on Street View:

• Water World is mentioned on I-25 in the north suburbs of Denver, CO, before the 84th Avenue exit.
  • Schlitterbahn gets a mention on I-35 in Texas, approaching the main exit for New Braunfels.
  • On I-85 Business in Greensboro, NC, before the exit for Holden Road, there is a sign that references Emerald Pointe waterpark (note, however, that the waterpark is not mentioned by name on the signage; instead, it simply shows the words "Water Park").

These are the examples that readily come to mind for me. What other instances might there be of waterparks that get a mention on freeway guide signage? I'm sure there are many more examples around the country.

Tonytone

Promoting Cities since 1998!

Super Mateo

In Cherry Valley, IL, there is at least one sign guiding drivers to the water park (Magic Waters, which I assume was bought out by Six Flags, looking at the map).  However, it is a generic sign that doesn't mention the name.  If you can't stop at the water park, there is an excellent view of the park on southbound I-39 and the ramp from WB I-90 to SB I-39.

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's the first place that came to mind for me.

jmacswimmer

Near Williamsburg VA, I-64 has signage for Water Country USA.

(also a huge fan of waterparks, FWIW)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

thspfc

Crown Victoria

If we are counting water parks that are part of a larger amusement park, then I will mention Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom, mentioned on signs along I-78 near Allentown, PA.

Brandon

Quote from: thspfc on August 09, 2020, 10:50:57 AM
Gotta be some in Wisconsin Dells on 90/94.

Yeah, as in {90}{94} Wis Dells on a lot of WisDOT signage.  The whole place is more like on large water park with several operators.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Tonytone on August 09, 2020, 12:48:27 AM
NJTP "SIX FLAGS EXIT ( )"

"Six Flags" (more accurately Six Flags Great Adventure) isn't a water park in it of itself. However, while not completely inline with the OP's intent, Hurricane Harbor there was the only thing listed on the exit gore sign on CR 537 for the longest time.

Keeping with the OP's intent, Water Country USA in Williamsburg, VA does get a mention on I-64.

STLmapboy

44 southwest of St. Louis not only mentions Six Flags several times but even displays the wait time in the yellow exit only section. Nationwide this is the only instance of this I've seen. It was retrofitted like this in 2015.

(And yes, I know Six Flags itself isn't a waterpark, but Hurricane Harbor is there)
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

KCRoadFan

I'm sure that the waterparks in Orlando, FL (Aquatica, Volcano Bay) must have some reference on signage along I-4 or SR 528. Can anyone verify that?

KCRoadFan

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 09, 2020, 10:30:18 AM

I kind of figured that with the word "swimmer"  right there in your profile name. Anyway, I'm glad to see a fellow waterpark fan!

(Oh, BTW: as far as waterparks in your state, I think Hurricane Harbor in Upper Marlboro looks like a great one. And I believe you can even ride a bus there from Largo Town Center, which you can get to on the Metro from DC! Yes, I love to research that sort of thing.)

Joe The Dragon

ozarkman417

For some reason, Splash Country Indoor Water Park is on the US 65 guide signs but White Water isn't.

This is in Branson, so there are too many attractions for MODOT to put on the "ATTRACTION NEXT RIGHT" sign.

PurdueBill

First:Here's a sign with one that is sadly no more, greened out--go to the early 2017 image or before for the name showing.  (Can you guess from the greenouts what it was?)

Further south on the same highway, another sign (not greened out) for it that featured punctuation--with some of the nicest-looking 2008 street view I have ever seen.

The opposite direction, a sign with another version of punctuation in the name of the place!   And a VMS component that was later greened over just before the whole sign came down; why bother??

There was also once signage for the same place with multiple VMS components involving another destination; can't get that one right now because I think it was older.

jp the roadgeek

Six Flags New England gets mentioned on several different freeways:

Mass Pike (I-90) Exit 4 (Future 46) both directions.  I would have put it at Exit 6 (Future 51) Westbound, as 291 is a better option.

I-91 Exit 3

US 5 Exit for MA 57

MA 57 Exit for MA 159

I-91 North CT Exit 47W (on a little brown sign just beyond Exit 47E)

Lake Compounce Amusement Park also has a waterpark, but is only mentioned at one lone exit: I-84 Exit 31.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Some one

jmacswimmer

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 09, 2020, 08:20:32 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 09, 2020, 10:30:18 AM

I kind of figured that with the word "swimmer"  right there in your profile name. Anyway, I'm glad to see a fellow waterpark fan!

(Oh, BTW: as far as waterparks in your state, I think Hurricane Harbor in Upper Marlboro looks like a great one. And I believe you can even ride a bus there from Largo Town Center, which you can get to on the Metro from DC! Yes, I love to research that sort of thing.)

Oddly enough, I've never been to that one (or that Six Flags in general) despite being within an hour's drive - the waterpark itself doesn't get a specific mention, but the Six Flags overall does get a reference from the beltway.

The Boardwalk within Hersheypark is another great one - similarly, the only reference from nearby I-81 is the all-inclusive "Hershey Attractions".

Back to the point of the thread, here's another waterpark sign I discovered: Splashdown from I-66 in Manassas VA.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

uknowbeers

roadman

In Danvers MA, the Doubletree Hilton Hotel (formerly the Ferncroft Inn) has a small water park called CoCo Key Water Park.  It's on Attractions LOGO signs on I-95 for the US 1 exit (Exit 50, future Exit 70).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Bickendan

tylert120

ftballfan

Michigan's Adventure, which is basically a glorified water park, is mentioned at two points on US-31:
Northbound just before Exit 121 (Russell Rd): https://goo.gl/maps/ioereDSCiGJ5cCTKA
Southbound just before Exit 126 (White Lake Dr): https://goo.gl/maps/mcYkx8zFWUhsTPNo7

hobsini2

Well, it's more of a muni water park but in my hometown, Pelican Harbor does have signs on I-55 at both Route 53 (southbound), I can't find the actual sign on Google maps but the ramp one is there. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6861994,-88.0668497,3a,75y,258.8h,75.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9J3BL_wonkpopLgXWbJ_CA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
And Weber Rd (northbound).
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6516978,-88.1336679,3a,75y,80.71h,75.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6GdUfLRA83oyskhCWsz7LQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Here is the sat view of the outdoor part of the park.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6922163,-88.1069396,513m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
And that is literally down the block from my house On Lily Cache.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

michravera

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 09, 2020, 12:20:35 AM
You know those signs you see leading up to an exit on a freeway - usually before the main sign for the exit itself? I'm talking about those supplementary guide signs, the ones that mention other towns aside from the ones already referenced on the main sign, as well as various attractions and points of interest that can be accessed from the upcoming exit.

Anyway, because I love waterparks so much (as is known from the description that appears every time I make a post), that got me thinking: throughout the country, what waterparks are mentioned on those freeway guide signs seen in advance of an exit? I know of several examples, one of them being right here in my hometown of Kansas City: namely, a sign for Oceans of Fun that can be seen before exit 54 (48th Street/Parvin Road) on I-435. In addition, here are a handful of examples that I've seen on Street View:

• Water World is mentioned on I-25 in the north suburbs of Denver, CO, before the 84th Avenue exit.
  • Schlitterbahn gets a mention on I-35 in Texas, approaching the main exit for New Braunfels.
  • On I-85 Business in Greensboro, NC, before the exit for Holden Road, there is a sign that references Emerald Pointe waterpark (note, however, that the waterpark is not mentioned by name on the signage; instead, it simply shows the words "Water Park").

These are the examples that readily come to mind for me. What other instances might there be of waterparks that get a mention on freeway guide signage? I'm sure there are many more examples around the country.

There is a water park that is visible from I-15 at an exit with nothing much else there. I assume that it is on the blue sign, if it isn't on the green exit sign.
I believe that the blue sign for the Expo Blvd exit from CASR-51 in Sacramento references the water park.
The water parks in Fremont and San Jose aren't terribly near freeways, so they may or may not have any guidance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.