AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-49 Coming to Missouri  (Read 483081 times)

msunat97

• Last Login: June 30, 2023, 07:43:36 PM
Re: I-49 Coming to Missouri
« Reply #1000 on: January 23, 2021, 12:34:52 PM »

Any new updates on this work?  The 71 days for the closure of MO Rte 90 should be up.  I drove down I49 into Arkansas at Christmas, but it was dark by the time that we reached the area where the interstate ends.  I was able to see some new temporary concrete barriers setup where the interstate will continue South in the new alignment.

MO-90 was still closed last weekend when I took a drive from Fayetteville to Noel, MO and MO-76/US-160/MO/AR-125 across southern MO to the Peel Ferry and back.  Had to use the King's Highway (MO-H) to bypass construction still.  Drove AR-549 today for work.  The base layer of asphalt down on the northbound lanes the whole way to the first AR-72 exit northbound.  Still working on the bridge over McKissic Creek, but it's starting to look like it was always meant to be now.  Arkansas is looking like they'll be able to open all the lanes long before Missouri can meet them.

Thanks MikieTimT.  Google Maps satellite view shows the extension of the dirt work all the way to the MO state line.  Too bad those contractors can't keep moving north to help MO pick up the pace of the work

rte66man

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 10:53:16 PM
« Reply #1001 on: January 23, 2021, 01:43:46 PM »

Thanks MikieTimT.  Google Maps satellite view shows the extension of the dirt work all the way to the MO state line.  Too bad those contractors can't keep moving north to help MO pick up the pace of the work

That is an impressive # of earth moving vehicles parked at the north end of the new dirtwork. I also see they have a quarry just over into Missouri for this project
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

MikieTimT

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:39:18 PM
« Reply #1002 on: January 23, 2021, 09:17:39 PM »

Any new updates on this work?  The 71 days for the closure of MO Rte 90 should be up.  I drove down I49 into Arkansas at Christmas, but it was dark by the time that we reached the area where the interstate ends.  I was able to see some new temporary concrete barriers setup where the interstate will continue South in the new alignment.

MO-90 was still closed last weekend when I took a drive from Fayetteville to Noel, MO and MO-76/US-160/MO/AR-125 across southern MO to the Peel Ferry and back.  Had to use the King's Highway (MO-H) to bypass construction still.  Drove AR-549 today for work.  The base layer of asphalt down on the northbound lanes the whole way to the first AR-72 exit northbound.  Still working on the bridge over McKissic Creek, but it's starting to look like it was always meant to be now.  Arkansas is looking like they'll be able to open all the lanes long before Missouri can meet them.

Anytime!  I drive that stretch regularly for jobs in Bella Vista and Gravette.  I really need to treat myself to a GoPro at some point and do a short video of that stretch periodically and put on YouTube.  Phone camera gets too much dashboard.  It'd only take around 12 minutes to film the whole stretch from the current end of I-49 northbound where it dumps onto US-71 all the way to Rocky Dell Hollow Rd., but it takes a U-turn on US-71 at the first light to get onto AR-549 northbound.  The same contractor got the Missouri project that is doing the northern stretch in Arkansas, so I'd be shocked if that equipment doesn't just move north.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/may/25/bella-vista-bypass-interchange-construc/#:~:text=Sapp%20%26%20Sons%20is%20the%20primary,will%20cost%20about%20%2435.5%20million.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:36:00 PM by MikieTimT »

msunat97

« Reply #1003 on: January 24, 2021, 09:54:02 PM »

Anytime!  I drive that stretch regularly for jobs in Bella Vista and Gravette.  I really need to treat myself to a GoPro at some point and do a short video of that stretch periodically and put on YouTube.  Phone camera gets too much dashboard.  It'd only take around 12 minutes to film the whole stretch from the current end of I-49 northbound where it dumps onto US-71 all the way to Rocky Dell Hollow Rd., but it takes a U-turn on US-71 at the first light to get onto AR-549 northbound.  The same contractor got the Missouri project that is doing the northern stretch in Arkansas, so I'd be shocked if that equipment doesn't just move north.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/may/25/bella-vista-bypass-interchange-construc/#:~:text=Sapp%20%26%20Sons%20is%20the%20primary,will%20cost%20about%20%2435.5%20million.

I didn't look that closely at the contractor...that's good that they can continue moving north.  most times the state lines & different DOT's cause delays.

MikieTimT

« Reply #1004 on: January 25, 2021, 09:51:31 AM »

I didn't look that closely at the contractor...that's good that they can continue moving north.  most times the state lines & different DOT's cause delays.

The NWA Council helped Missouri get the BUILD grant to finish the Bella Vista Bypass, so they're on the same page on this project in general since it helps both states.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #1005 on: February 04, 2021, 05:03:20 PM »

MoDOT has just announced MO 90 between US 71 and Noel (at I-49) is now open to traffic.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

msunat97

« Reply #1006 on: February 04, 2021, 09:47:04 PM »

https://www.modot.org/node/21883

Here's the announcement link

GreenLanternCorps

• What's behind me, is not important!

• Last Login: Today at 07:25:27 AM
« Reply #1007 on: February 26, 2021, 07:09:16 AM »

Aside from the MO 90 bridge and interchange construction, do we know what work has been done so far on this project?

msunat97

« Reply #1008 on: February 26, 2021, 08:25:56 AM »

Aside from the MO 90 bridge and interchange construction, do we know what work has been done so far on this project?

Outside of MikieTimT or US71, there's nothing else in any news articles or MoDOT & Ark DOT sites for updates.  I was looking for photos from the MO 90 bridge work & haven't found any.

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #1009 on: February 26, 2021, 12:21:37 PM »

I took some photos a couple weeks ago, but haven't had time to sort them.

The road appears paved north of Bella Vista/CR 34 and work continues to pave the it south of there.

The (AR 549) I-49/US 71 interchange at Bentonville continues to be built/upgraded.

If the weather holds, I hope to get to Missouri to check on things up there.

edwaleni

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:22:34 PM
« Reply #1010 on: February 27, 2021, 02:29:36 PM »

I will be in the area around May, I will see if I can get some pictures while there.

MikieTimT

« Reply #1011 on: March 01, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »

Outside of MikieTimT or US71, there's nothing else in any news articles or MoDOT & Ark DOT sites for updates.  I was looking for photos from the MO 90 bridge work & haven't found any.

Hadn't been up into Missouri since my last post, but on the Arkansas side, I was on AR-549 twice yesterday, once all the way to Exit 287.  Still have roadbed pretty much completed from where the offramp splits off for US-71 on southbound Future I-49 that AR-549 uses currently for both directions, along with all bridge decks and barriers along with the asphault base from the stretch north where the almost completely poured median barrier ends with a grass median taking its place.  They have poured the concrete base nearly the whole stretch where they will put the posts in for the cable barrier in the median.  They could likely get a significant stretch of 4 lane done by summer's end in the middle section, barring weather or pandemic delays if the contractor is scheduled to do the concrete road surface.  Don't know if that's scheduled, though, but they have done the part with the center divider completed with concrete surface already to the new US-71 overpass approach, which already has the support beams over US-71.  The northbound I-49 entrance ramp has a bridge with support beams in place as well, but no decking or approaches yet either.  They've still got to build up the grade for the approaches on both ends of both overpasses/bridges.  Anyway, that's the status update on the Arkansas side.  Didn't check any further north than Exit 287, though.  Wonder when they'll get around to renumbering exits on the Arkansas side at this point down to I-40/Alma.  Probably when it's almost time to open the bypass.

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #1012 on: March 01, 2021, 03:24:07 PM »

Hadn't been up into Missouri since my last post, but on the Arkansas side, I was on AR-549 twice yesterday, once all the way to Exit 287.  Still have roadbed pretty much completed from where the offramp splits off for US-71 on southbound Future I-49 that AR-549 uses currently for both directions, along with all bridge decks and barriers along with the asphault base from the stretch north where the almost completely poured median barrier ends with a grass median taking its place.  They have poured the concrete base nearly the whole stretch where they will put the posts in for the cable barrier in the median.  They could likely get a significant stretch of 4 lane done by summer's end in the middle section, barring weather or pandemic delays if the contractor is scheduled to do the concrete road surface.  Don't know if that's scheduled, though, but they have done the part with the center divider completed with concrete surface already to the new US-71 overpass approach, which already has the support beams over US-71.  The northbound I-49 entrance ramp has a bridge with support beams in place as well, but no decking or approaches yet either.  They've still got to build up the grade for the approaches on both ends of both overpasses/bridges.  Anyway, that's the status update on the Arkansas side.  Didn't check any further north than Exit 287, though.  Wonder when they'll get around to renumbering exits on the Arkansas side at this point down to I-40/Alma.  Probably when it's almost time to open the bypass.

That's my guess.  Everything north of Bentonville is already numbered (only 3 exits though)

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #1013 on: March 01, 2021, 03:44:21 PM »

I am slowly uploading some of my recent I-49 construction photos to the  Build I-49 Facebook page,

msunat97

« Reply #1014 on: March 01, 2021, 05:15:20 PM »

Big thanks to US71 & MikieTimT for the updates.

MikieTimT

« Reply #1015 on: March 02, 2021, 08:56:24 AM »

Big thanks to US71 & MikieTimT for the updates.

You're certainly welcome!  Can't wait for this project to finally wrap up so we don't have to slog through Bella Vista anymore.

MikieTimT

« Reply #1016 on: March 02, 2021, 08:59:01 AM »

And can't wait for Missouri to fix the I-49 clusterf**k around Joplin/Carthage.  Only needs a northern interchange and a rebadge.

mvak36

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:22:01 PM
« Reply #1017 on: March 02, 2021, 09:45:31 AM »

And can't wait for Missouri to fix the I-49 clusterf**k around Joplin/Carthage.  Only needs a northern interchange and a rebadge.

I remember that project was one of the ones they said they would do when they tried to pass Amendment 7 (temporary sales tax increase) back in 2014. I wonder how much of a priority it is for MODOT now that they're mostly focused on preservation.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
« Reply #1018 on: March 02, 2021, 01:12:34 PM »

I remember that project was one of the ones they said they would do when they tried to pass Amendment 7 (temporary sales tax increase) back in 2014. I wonder how much of a priority it is for MODOT now that they're mostly focused on preservation.

We’re they planning to reroute I-49 onto MO 249/171?

MikieTimT

« Reply #1019 on: March 02, 2021, 01:17:11 PM »

That's the rebadge that should happen.  Just need the money for a proper Carthage interchange.  Rebadge I-49 from Carthage to I-44, and I-49 is complete in Missouri.  Until enough folks in KC,MO either pass on or grow tired of Bruce Watkins, anyway.

mvak36

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:22:01 PM
« Reply #1020 on: March 02, 2021, 01:41:18 PM »

That's the rebadge that should happen.  Just need the money for a proper Carthage interchange.  Rebadge I-49 from Carthage to I-44, and I-49 is complete in Missouri.  Until enough folks in KC,MO either pass on or grow tired of Bruce Watkins, anyway.

I found the pdf of the Amendment 7 project list that I downloaded back in 2014. Here's what they had for that project. It probably will cost more than $62.44 million now (I don't have time to post the screenshot so I just copied the text from that pdf)

Improve Rte 249 and Rte 171 to interstate standards from I-44 to Carthage    Jasper     Road and Bridge    $62.44
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #1021 on: March 02, 2021, 01:43:55 PM »

It's been talked about for a while, but old 71 (now 171) would need to be upgraded

silverback1065

• Last Login: Today at 07:31:57 AM
« Reply #1022 on: March 02, 2021, 05:25:14 PM »

i thought 49 just was going straight down to 44 then jumps over an exit west. it's supposed to use 249?

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #1023 on: March 02, 2021, 05:36:22 PM »

i thought 49 just was going straight down to 44 then jumps over an exit west. it's supposed to use 249?

That is what I have heard, but I know of no plans to upgrade 171/old 71

I-39

• Last Login: December 26, 2023, 01:46:08 PM
« Reply #1024 on: March 02, 2021, 05:41:32 PM »

That is what I have heard, but I know of no plans to upgrade 171/old 71

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only thing that needs to be done for this to happen is a free flow interchange from the existing I-49 mainline to MO 171, right?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.