News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your Favorite movie line(s)

Started by Hurricane Rex, September 14, 2018, 01:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

"Raven One to Raven Leader, Commander McClusky, they've got bombs stacked all over their flight deck!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwLyIMqfbf0
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

The Bond films always had a few memorable lines -- often uttered by the villain du jour

DR. NO: "The criminal mind is always superior -- it has to be!"  (Dr. No)

DONAL GRANT (to BOND):  "You may know your wines, but you're the one on your knees!"  (From Russia with Love)

And a couple of funny/ironic line sequences:

DOMINIQUE (after shooting villain Largo with a spear gun as he was about to shoot Bond):  "I'm glad I killed him!"  BOND (in reply): "You're glad?"  (Thunderball)

IRMA BUNT:  "Is something the matter, Sir Hilary?"  BOND (under cover as genealogist Sir Hilary Bray): "Just a slight stiffness coming on!" (after Ruby, one of the female patients in Blofeld's "allergy clinic" writes her room number in lipstick on Bond's thigh underneath his kilt).
(On Her Majesty's Secret Service)

abefroman329

Quote from: sparker on September 25, 2018, 09:40:15 PM
The Bond films always had a few memorable lines -- often uttered by the villain du jour

DR. NO: "The criminal mind is always superior -- it has to be!"  (Dr. No)

DONAL GRANT (to BOND):  "You may know your wines, but you're the one on your knees!"  (From Russia with Love)

And a couple of funny/ironic line sequences:

DOMINIQUE (after shooting villain Largo with a spear gun as he was about to shoot Bond):  "I'm glad I killed him!"  BOND (in reply): "You're glad?"  (Thunderball)

IRMA BUNT:  "Is something the matter, Sir Hilary?"  BOND (under cover as genealogist Sir Hilary Bray): "Just a slight stiffness coming on!" (after Ruby, one of the female patients in Blofeld's "allergy clinic" writes her room number in lipstick on Bond's thigh underneath his kilt).
(On Her Majesty's Secret Service)
I'm fond of the scene in Goldfinger when Bond is laying in bed post-coitus in Miami and an announcer on the radio says "The President said he was satisfied..."  and Bond switches off the radio and says "Well. That makes two of us."

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 25, 2018, 10:12:44 PM
I'm fond of the scene in Goldfinger when Bond is laying in bed post-coitus in Miami and an announcer on the radio says "The President said he was satisfied..."  and Bond switches off the radio and says "Well. That makes two of us."

Bond is strapped to a table, and a deadly laser beam is aimed at his body, sparking this question and Goldfinger's infamous answer:

BOND:  Do you expect me to talk?
GOLDFINGER:  No, Mr. Bond.  I expect you to die!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

roadman65

One Charles Bronson Movie had a line in it.

Bronson to another guy holding him at gunpoint:  Do you believe in Jesus?
The other guy: Yes
Bronson: Well you're going to meet him. (Charles Bronson then shoots him dead.)
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

At the end of For Your Eyes Only, when Bond tosses the ATAC device off the cliff to prevent the Russians from picking it up.

Bond, to the Russian general who had just arrived to obtain the device: That's detente, comrade. You don't have it. I don't have it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sparker

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 25, 2018, 11:47:35 PM
At the end of For Your Eyes Only, when Bond tosses the ATAC device off the cliff to prevent the Russians from picking it up.

Bond, to the Russian general who had just arrived to obtain the device: That's detente, comrade. You don't have it. I don't have it.

Yeah -- but the fallacy of that line was that the ATAC was a standard yet top secret U.K. Ministry of Defense device; presumably they had more in inventory -- so the Russians didn't have it, but the British still had plenty more where that came from!  Always thought that line was a bit goofy! 

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2018, 11:30:59 PM
One Charles Bronson Movie had a line in it.

Bronson to another guy holding him at gunpoint:  Do you believe in Jesus?
The other guy: Yes
Bronson: Well you're going to meet him. (Charles Bronson then shoots him dead.)
That's from Death Wish 2.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

inkyatari

(don'te remember the name of the character): Mr. Bond, I've gotten you all wet!
James Bond: Well, my martini's still dry.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

sparker

Quote from: inkyatari on September 26, 2018, 10:15:50 AM

It's from Never Say Never Again, the "unauthorized" (non-Broccoli/Danjaq) remake of Thunderball that was part of the Fleming estate's settlement with author Kevin McClory.  The name of the character was Fatima Blush, played in the film by Barbara Carrera.  Interesting background to the remake situation:  apparently Fleming, McClory, and screenwriter Jack Whittingham cobbled up a screenplay for an introductory Bond film back around 1959 called Longitude 78 West -- essentially the Thunderball plot; the title coordinate was where the hijacked plane was hidden.  When that project stalled, Fleming went off on his own and wrote the novel Thunderball based on their screenplay, with a few different details.  McClory sued, with Whittingham testifying in his behalf; he won the suit.  Subsequently Fleming was required to give McClory & Whittingham credit for the original story in any further editions of his book, plus McClory retained the film rights to both the original screenplay and Thunderball.  In 1964, the Bond film producers, Saltzman & Broccoli, purchased the rights to Thunderball from McClory, with two codicils:  McClory would get a producer credit on their film, plus he still retained the right to the original screenplay, which he could remake at any time.  Never Say Never Again was that 1983 remake; McClory lured Connery back to the role with an enormous guaranteed paycheck, a producer credit, and a percentage of the profits.  Unfortunately, the film barely made back its production costs; Albert Broccoli cannily pushed the release of that year's canonical Bond film, Octopussy, up six weeks from its original scheduled release; it hit the theaters in late May of that year; while the McClory film wasn't booked until mid-July.  Apparently even Connery's return didn't help matters much.  After McClory's death, Barbara Broccoli (who runs the whole thing these days) re-purchased the rights to any of the McClory estate's film assets -- so one entity now controls the Bond saga.   

inkyatari

Quote from: sparker on September 26, 2018, 12:47:53 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on September 26, 2018, 10:15:50 AM

It's from Never Say Never Again, the "unauthorized" (non-Broccoli/Danjaq) remake of Thunderball that was part of the Fleming estate's settlement with author Kevin McClory.  The name of the character was Fatima Blush, played in the film by Barbara Carrera.  Interesting background to the remake situation:  apparently Fleming, McClory, and screenwriter Jack Whittingham cobbled up a screenplay for an introductory Bond film back around 1959 called Longitude 78 West -- essentially the Thunderball plot; the title coordinate was where the hijacked plane was hidden.  When that project stalled, Fleming went off on his own and wrote the novel Thunderball based on their screenplay, with a few different details.  McClory sued, with Whittingham testifying in his behalf; he won the suit.  Subsequently Fleming was required to give McClory & Whittingham credit for the original story in any further editions of his book, plus McClory retained the film rights to both the original screenplay and Thunderball.  In 1964, the Bond film producers, Saltzman & Broccoli, purchased the rights to Thunderball from McClory, with two codicils:  McClory would get a producer credit on their film, plus he still retained the right to the original screenplay, which he could remake at any time.  Never Say Never Again was that 1983 remake; McClory lured Connery back to the role with an enormous guaranteed paycheck, a producer credit, and a percentage of the profits.  Unfortunately, the film barely made back its production costs; Albert Broccoli cannily pushed the release of that year's canonical Bond film, Octopussy, up six weeks from its original scheduled release; it hit the theaters in late May of that year; while the McClory film wasn't booked until mid-July.  Apparently even Connery's return didn't help matters much.  After McClory's death, Barbara Broccoli (who runs the whole thing these days) re-purchased the rights to any of the McClory estate's film assets -- so one entity now controls the Bond saga.

There was a second Thunderball remake in the works called Warhead AD:2000 (working title, I hope,) which never saw the light of day, obviously.

sparker

Quote from: inkyatari on September 26, 2018, 12:55:51 PM
There was a second Thunderball remake in the works called Warhead AD:2000 (working title, I hope,) which never saw the light of day, obviously.

About 1997, McClory thought a "high-tech" Thunderball update might be a viable film; but by that time Pierce Brosnan had established himself as the reigning Bond actor, and no studio wanted to finance another independent Bond film -- even though the plans were to lure Connery back -- with the difference being his original Bond character would have been the new "M", with a new actor TBD in the lead action role taking over the "007" designation.  Since a "real" Bond film was scheduled for release in December '97, the plans for "Warhead 2000" were postponed and eventually shelved -- and eventually became moot once the Broccoli clan acquired McClory's assets.  Two versions of Thunderball were more than enough -- although the best thing about Never Say Never Again was Klaus Maria Brandauer's villain Largo -- arguably the most complex and possibly certifiable (but semi-likeable) baddie in the whole series, official or not.     

inkyatari

Quote from: sparker on September 26, 2018, 07:40:03 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on September 26, 2018, 12:55:51 PM

About 1997, McClory thought a "high-tech" Thunderball update might be a viable film; but by that time Pierce Brosnan had established himself as the reigning Bond actor, and no studio wanted to finance another independent Bond film -- even though the plans were to lure Connery back -- with the difference being his original Bond character would have been the new "M", with a new actor TBD in the lead action role taking over the "007" designation.  Since a "real" Bond film was scheduled for release in December '97, the plans for "Warhead 2000" were postponed and eventually shelved -- and eventually became moot once the Broccoli clan acquired McClory's assets.  Two versions of Thunderball were more than enough -- although the best thing about Never Say Never Again was Klaus Maria Brandauer's villain Largo -- arguably the most complex and possibly certifiable (but semi-likeable) baddie in the whole series, official or not.     
We already have two Goldfingers.  (Goldfinger and A View to a Kill are basically the same movie.  The scenes where the bad guy reveals his plans  are almost exactly the same, right down to the scale model.)

Rothman

Radiating the gold at Fort Knox and causing a megaearthquake are quite different plans.

Also, Goldfinger was twice the movie A View to a Kill ever was.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on September 26, 2018, 10:34:49 PM
Radiating the gold at Fort Knox and causing a megaearthquake are quite different plans.

Don't know where they went wrong but most people's opinion was that nothing that came after Connery ever reached its potential. Some of the Moore films were a little goofy, Dalton had promise but quit after two films (though many would argue he lacked the charm and suave in favor of being too gritty and douchey), and Brosnan's films declined sharply after the first one or two.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sparker

^^^^^^^
Dalton -- and the continuity of the series -- was a victim of United Artists' financial mess circa 1990 that found them "merging" (like Austria was "merged" into Hitler's Germany!) with MGM, itself not terribly flush.  The Bond film slated to be his 3rd, with a tentative release either in late '91 or mid-'92, had a finished screenplay and was set in Hong Kong and Singapore -- but it kept getting delayed while UA sought funding.  Finally, in early '94, Dalton decided that the series' future was too uncertain for his liking, so he quit.  A year later Brosnan came on board -- nine years after Broccoli had first approached him to take over from Moore -- but his contractual obligations to the Remington Steele TV series prevented him from taking the role.  Once MGM agreed to financial terms, Broccoli & Co. jettisoned the old writers and directors and hired Michael France (fresh off Cliffhanger) to write a new storyline and New Zealand-based director Martin Campbell to direct -- and GoldenEye, arguably one of the better later efforts of the series, was released in late 1995 (They were really fishing for film titles then; Goldeneye was the name of Ian Fleming's vacation home in Jamaica). 

inkyatari

Same plot. Increase the value of the bad guy's supply of X by destroying (or making unusable - semantics) the main supply of X.

And I agree withyour second point, but I don't hate View to a Kill.  I save all my hate for Die Another Day.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on September 27, 2018, 09:13:59 AM

Same plot. Increase the value of the bad guy's supply of X by destroying (or making unusable - semantics) the main supply of X.

And I agree withyour second point, but I don't hate View to a Kill.  I save all my hate for Die Another Day.

Yeah, Die Another Day started out promising, but turned silly in the middle of the film.  A View To A Kill does have a pretty cool title track though.

This could be a whole thread unto itself: "Bond Films You Like/Dislike".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

"As terrifying and painful as reality can be, it's also the only place that you can get a decent meal."

Halliday - Ready Player One

michravera

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on September 14, 2018, 01:53:55 AM
Please post your favorite movie line(s) or group of line(s) if you can't pick just one, and cite the movie where it is from.

If I'm need to let out some steam: "We are the borg, lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile." (Star Trek First Contact). https://youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww

If I need inspiration: any famous line from the Lord of the Rings.

If I am happy: varies.

LG-TP260

Two of my favorite lines, in context come from "Live and Let Die" both are by the character Sheriff John William Pepper:
... after a bit of ribbing about a boat protruding from his patrol car:
"By the power, vested in me, as Sheriff of this parish, I do hereby commandeer this vehicle, and all occupants therein. That means you, Smart Ass!"

... after JimBo has caused him and he learns that JimBo is a secret agent ...
"Secret Agent?! On whose side?!?!?"

... Then there is the great exchange in "Airplane":
"This is Over, over. We have clearance, Clarence"
"What's our vector, Victor?" ...

... and my favorite exchange from "Blame It on Rio" ...
"Look, Jennifer, Nothing happened!"
"I know! I was there when it didn't!"

... and from Trading Places ...
"Look, you can't just go around shooting people in the kneecaps because you are pissed at them. It's called 'Assault with a Deadly Weapon' and you go to jail for that!"

english si

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 26, 2018, 11:35:34 PMSome of the Moore films were a little goofy
But that's quintessential Bond.

Sir Sean said: The only real difficulty I found in playing Bond was that I had to start from scratch. Nobody knew anything about him, after all. Not even Fleming. Does he have parents? Where does he come from? Nobody knows. But we played it for laughs, and people seem to feel it comes off quite well.

And Sir Roger: I played it slightly tongue-in-cheek because I never quite believed that James Bond was a spy because everybody knew him, they all knew what he drank. He'd walk into a bar and it would always be, "Ah, Commander Bond, martini, shaken not stirred." Spies are faceless people.

The problem Moore had is that, by then, the films had become a genre of their own - doubling down and playing Bond as 'a parody' (as Connery said of Moore's work) made commercial sense. Though if you forgot to work on stuff other than the stereotypical Bond selling points of girls, gadgets and goofy one-liners then you end up with Die Another Day.

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on September 27, 2018, 09:21:18 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on September 27, 2018, 09:13:59 AM

Yeah, Die Another Day started out promising, but turned silly in the middle of the film.  A View To A Kill does have a pretty cool title track though.

This could be a whole thread unto itself: "Bond Films You Like/Dislike".
If it weren't for the title track and Christopher Walken's delightful scenery-chewing, A View To A Kill would probably be the worst Roger Moore Bond film (that title currently belongs to Moonraker).

I think The World Is Not Enough is my least favorite Brosnan Bond (though they're all pretty abysmal), but I don't remember much about Die Another Day.

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 27, 2018, 11:06:18 AMI don't remember much about Die Another Day.
All I remember is that that is a good thing, that Madonna sword fights for no reason having already ruined the movie by making you endure the terrible song, and that they show too much of Hallie Berry for what you expect of both a Bond film and the rating it received.

sparker

Quote from: english si on September 27, 2018, 02:17:43 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on September 27, 2018, 11:06:18 AMI don't remember much about Die Another Day.
All I remember is that that is a good thing, that Madonna sword fights for no reason having already ruined the movie by making you endure the terrible song, and that they show too much of Hallie Berry for what you expect of both a Bond film and the rating it received.

Not one of the better efforts in the series -- but, seriously, you can never show too much of Halle Berry!  Still hotter than hell at 52!

mgk920

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.