News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 10:24:27 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on January 14, 2021, 10:04:48 AM

Quote from: I-39 on January 14, 2021, 09:38:41 AM
What happened to the full rebuild/widen of I-70 across the state? Has that been put on the back burner due to funding issues?

Yeah they don't have enough funds for that. When they tried to pass the sales tax increase back in 2014, they said it would cost 2.5 billion to widen it across the state, if I remember it correctly. Not sure how much that is now with inflation.

They are doing the Climbing lanes project and this Rocheport bridge. Not sure if there are any other projects after that. I don't know if they even have enough funds now to even do piecemeal projects like they have done for I-65 in Indiana.

Missouri.  Enough money for their highways.  Ha! good one...

If they got rid of the Secondary (Alphabet) Roads.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on January 14, 2021, 08:44:02 PM

Yeah, I've thought about that.  Quite a few of the lettered highways would need to become primary highways, in my opinion.  And the counties in the Ozarks would be pretty well screwed by having to maintain them.  But, overall, I'm sure the state would have more money to go around.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

Quote from: kphoger on January 15, 2021, 09:40:28 AM

Yeah, I've thought about that.  Quite a few of the lettered highways would need to become primary highways, in my opinion.  And the counties in the Ozarks would be pretty well screwed by having to maintain them.  But, overall, I'm sure the state would have more money to go around.
There's a couple I can think off the top of my head that can be extensions of primary highways. MO D in St. Louis County could become a MO 364 extension. MO W/MO MM/MO M in Jefferson County seems like a single corridor that can be a MO 109 southern extension. MO K/MO M in St. Charles County also seems like a logical path for a MO 109 northern extension via a concurrency with US 40/US 61.

And the state still have 88 and 93 available for primary state routes

CapeCodder

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 15, 2021, 12:22:41 PM

There's a couple I can think off the top of my head that can be extensions of primary highways. MO D in St. Louis County could become a MO 364 extension. MO W/MO MM/MO M in Jefferson County seems like a single corridor that can be a MO 109 southern extension. MO K/MO M in St. Charles County also seems like a logical path for a MO 109 northern extension via a concurrency with US 40/US 61.

Bring back the former MO 175 alignment that used to serve Fort Zumwalt Park and get rid of the newer one in SW MO.

m2tbone

Quote from: CapeCodder on January 15, 2021, 10:13:39 PM

Bring back the former MO 175 alignment that used to serve Fort Zumwalt Park and get rid of the newer one in SW MO.

Does anyone have an old map of where MO 175 was located in O'Fallon?  I live near Fort Zumwalt Park and am interested in seeing where that went.

iPad Pro

CapeCodder

Quote from: m2tbone on January 16, 2021, 08:41:35 PM
Quote from: CapeCodder on January 15, 2021, 10:13:39 PM

Does anyone have an old map of where MO 175 was located in O'Fallon?  I live near Fort Zumwalt Park and am interested in seeing where that went.

iPad Pro

From the oldest St. Charles County Street Guide I had (1986) it showed that it began at 70 and Bryan Road and followed the south outer road.

ozarkman417

The MODOT maps I looked at are pretty vague when it comes to that particular route's routing. O'Fallon dosen't have its own insets on the ones I viewed (namely 1980, the route's last year of existance). I suppose it simply ran along what is now Veterans memorial Parkway.

If the Veterans memorial parkway were to become MO 175 again, what would you do with the current MO 175? The whole thing is entirely in Newton county, so either an x71 (given its history as US71) or a lettered route.

SkyPesos

Quote from: ozarkman417 on January 16, 2021, 09:48:20 PM
The MODOT maps I looked at are pretty vague when it comes to that particular route's routing. O'Fallon dosen't have its own insets on the ones I viewed (namely 1980, the route's last year of existance). I suppose it simply ran along what is now Veterans memorial Parkway.

If the Veterans memorial parkway were to become MO 175 again, what would you do with the current MO 175? The whole thing is entirely in Newton county, so either an x71 (given its history as US71) or a lettered route.
Isn't there a gap for Veterans Memorial Pkwy between MO 79 and Mid Rivers Mall Dr? And idk if it's still there, but I rembmer at Muegge Rd, WB traffic on Veterans Memorial have to turn right, or use Mexico Rd to continue on Veterans Memorial.

Revive 755

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 16, 2021, 10:23:14 PM
Isn't there a gap for Veterans Memorial Pkwy between MO 79 and Mid Rivers Mall Dr? And idk if it's still there, but I rembmer at Muegge Rd, WB traffic on Veterans Memorial have to turn right, or use Mexico Rd to continue on Veterans Memorial.

I'm seeing a gap between Salt Lick Road and Dardenne Creek, plus a discontinuity/diversion around Mid Rivers Mall.  Then there's another discontinuity at Sonderen Street in O'Fallon with a stub to potentially fix this one.

mvak36

They are starting the signage upgrades for the US24 route changes in the Kansas City area.

https://www.modot.org/node/21782
JACKSON COUNTY— MoDOT Kansas City will be making U.S. 24 route marking designation changes along both I-435 and I-70.  Crews are working to remove the U.S. 24 designation from Independence Ave. west of I-435.  Beginning at I-435, U.S. 24 will soon be routed along I-435 and I-70 into downtown Kansas City.  East of I-435, the U.S. 24 designation will remain unchanged.  This work will require various overnight lane closures. Motorists are advised to plan ahead and find alternate routes if necessary. All work is weather permitting.

This project includes route marking designation changes on I-435 from U.S. 24 to I-70, on I-70 from I-435 to U.S. 24. Beginning Tuesday, Jan. 19, the work will include:

• Westbound I-70 will be reduced to ONE LANE from Blue Ridge Cutoff to I-435 for overhead sign truss work Tuesday, Jan. 19, from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning.
  • Westbound I-70 will be reduced to ONE LANE from U.S. 40 to Van Brunt Blvd. for overhead sign truss work on Wednesday, Jan. 20, from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning. During this time, the ramp from westbound I-70 to Van Brunt Blvd. will also be closed.
  • Westbound I-70 will be reduced to one lane from The Paseo to the Troost Ave. for overhead sign truss work on Thursday, Jan. 21, from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning. During this time, the ramp from westbound I-70 to Harrison St./Troost Ave. will also be closed.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

roadman65

https://www.70westsentinel.com/long-range-transportation-plans-include-changes-to-i-70-s-curve-in-wentzville/

I was noticing on Facebook there are plans to realign and replace one of the overpasses on I-70 in St. Charles County. I posted a pic of the Route Z exit and someone said soon the area will change. However another said talk about I-70 has been for ages but nothing yet. So the debating party said he would believe it when it happens.

That got me to research the project to some extent including the three alternatives MoDOT has come up with to eliminate the Wentzville bottlenecks.  However, no official funding of yet, so MoDOT according to their page is using the queue time to study better alternatives.

Though old from 2019 some of those planned projects are completed or in progress.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SkyPesos

I read through the list, going to comment on some of the changes as I lived in the area for a bit until 8 years ago.

- I think the MO 94/364/Muegge project have been mentioned here before. Basically turns the MO 94 and Muegge interchange from the current one loop ramp for EB 364 to a DDI to allow for access to NB Muegge. 6 laning the remaining 4 lane sections of MO 94 between 364 and I-70 is included too.
- For MO 94/I-70, the current SPUI (specifically the WB 70 to WB 94 movement) gets backed up even in 2012 when I lived in the area. Not sure if a DDI is the right choice, though maybe my idea of a flyover for that movement is too costly. Or is there not enough space to add a 3rd left turn lane in the current interchange, to coincide with the 6 laning of MO 94?
- For the Zumbehl interchange improvements, wondering why they stop there? Cave Springs, just to the west, have the same issues as Zumbehl.

A small nitpick, but they really called 67 a "MO Route" ... 

roadman65

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 12, 2021, 09:26:03 AM
I read through the list, going to comment on some of the changes as I lived in the area for a bit until 8 years ago.

- I think the MO 94/364/Muegge project have been mentioned here before. Basically turns the MO 94 and Muegge interchange from the current one loop ramp for EB 364 to a DDI to allow for access to NB Muegge. 6 laning the remaining 4 lane sections of MO 94 between 364 and I-70 is included too.
- For MO 94/I-70, the current SPUI (specifically the WB 70 to WB 94 movement) gets backed up even in 2012 when I lived in the area. Not sure if a DDI is the right choice, though maybe my idea of a flyover for that movement is too costly. Or is there not enough space to add a 3rd left turn lane in the current interchange, to coincide with the 6 laning of MO 94?
- For the Zumbehl interchange improvements, wondering why they stop there? Cave Springs, just to the west, have the same issues as Zumbehl.

A small nitpick, but they really called 67 a "MO Route" ... 

Noticed that one also.

Sheryl Crowe

mvak36

MODOT has added a High-Priority Unfunded Needs List on their website.

Excerpt from the document:
QuoteMoDOT staff have worked with Metropolitan Planning Organizations and Regional Planning Commissions throughout the state to develop a list of unfunded road and bridge needs. The funding assumption targeted a total of $2.5 billion in two tiers. Tier one includes $540 million and includes projects we could accomplish in the time of the current STIP if we received more money. These projects have good estimates. Tier two is worth $2.2 billion and includes projects beyond the current STIP timeframe with broader estimates.  The assumed district distribution was based on the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission's (MHTC) Flexible Funding formula. A third tier worth approximately $2 billion and multimodal needs will be added in the coming months.

SkyPesos

Quote from: mvak36 on April 12, 2021, 05:42:58 PM

Excerpt from the document:
QuoteMoDOT staff have worked with Metropolitan Planning Organizations and Regional Planning Commissions throughout the state to develop a list of unfunded road and bridge needs. The funding assumption targeted a total of $2.5 billion in two tiers. Tier one includes $540 million and includes projects we could accomplish in the time of the current STIP if we received more money. These projects have good estimates. Tier two is worth $2.2 billion and includes projects beyond the current STIP timeframe with broader estimates.  The assumed district distribution was based on the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission's (MHTC) Flexible Funding formula. A third tier worth approximately $2 billion and multimodal needs will be added in the coming months.
I thought 6-laning I-70 from KC to StL is one of those unfunded projects. Guess I'm wrong about that.

Also, I found this under the St Louis district section for I-70:
QuoteReconfigure STL airport access, replace bridges, reconfigure interchanges from Rte. 141 to I-170.​
Hopefully that mean the hideous interchange with 5 left exit ramps at I-170 will be rebuilt.

mvak36

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 12, 2021, 07:14:10 PM

I thought 6-laning I-70 from KC to StL is one of those unfunded projects. Guess I'm wrong about that.

Also, I found this under the St Louis district section for I-70:
QuoteReconfigure STL airport access, replace bridges, reconfigure interchanges from Rte. 141 to I-170.​
Hopefully that mean the hideous interchange with 5 left exit ramps at I-170 will be rebuilt.

Ha! I sometimes wonder if they're just hoping for a big pot of money to fall in their lap so they can do it all at once instead of piecemealing it (I know they tried back in 2014 with that Amendment 7). IMO, they should just start at Wentzville and work their way westward whenever they can find funding. They have so many needs I am not sure when they will do 70.

ozarkman417

The Six-Laning of Springfield's James River Freeway between National Avenue and the US 65 freeway has started.

Revive 755

Tier 1
* Wondering what the $3 million listed for improving the US 36/I-35 interchange would do?
* Mentions the already under construction work on I-270 through northern St. Louis County.
* Lists intersection improvements for the access off MO 76 to Silver Dollar City.
* Lists upgrading US 60 to a freeway from I-55 to US 61 (thought there was a grant for part of this one?)

Tier 2
* Two listings for US 61 in Lincoln County:  One for finishing the outer roads, and another one for just eliminating at grade crossings in Lincoln County - are the ones north of Troy now be considered for elimination as well?
* US 50 is listed for a shared four lane from Tipton to California
* US 63 is listed for shared four lane evaluations between Jefferson City and Rolla
* For MO 5:  "New roadway from I-44 to Rte. 5 at Lebanon".  Guessing this would be a partial bypass of Lebanon - anyone heard if it will be on the east or west side?
* The I-70 interchange with Bermuda Road near Ferguson is listed for another redo.
* Capacity improvements for US 40 from Route K to I-70 and I-270 from MO 100 to US 40 are listed among numerous interstate projects for the St. Louis area
* $44,215,000 for ramp improvements at at the eastern I-44/I-49 interchange
* "New corridor from Rte. 65 to Rte. BB near Hollister"
* $21,845,000 for access improvements to I-55 at Perryville
* $18,197,000 for a new interchange on US 67 with Routes JJ and Y near St. Francis State Park.
* There's "Add lanes to provide four lane highway from County Road 352 to County Road 270" for US 67 in Butler County but doesn't appear to be anything else for upgrading that section or US 60 between Poplar Bluff and Sikeston to I-57

mvak36

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 12, 2021, 11:25:31 PM

Tier 1

* Mentions the already under construction work on I-270 through northern St. Louis County.

* Lists upgrading US 60 to a freeway from I-55 to US 61 (thought there was a grant for part of this one?)

Feel free to correct me, but I thought they could only build part of the 270 project (which I believe is what they're doing now). They've changed that website so I don't know what work they still have to do. The thing says 33.9 million so I'm not sure what that work is.

For the US60, I think there was some project mentioned in the Governor's cost share projects. I'm not sure if that's what they're talking about in this list.

If I remember correctly, because of COVID they couldn't fund some of those cost share projects so that US60 project might or might not be funded now.

roadman65

Ramp stub in place WB on I-70 near Wentzville for the proposed David Hoekel Parkway in St. Charles County.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Quote from: roadman65 on April 18, 2021, 07:41:42 AM
Ramp stub in place WB on I-70 near Wentzville for the proposed David Hoekel Parkway in St. Charles County.

I can see they've graded for a bridge and (on Google Maps) rerouted the service road.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadman65

Quote from: STLmapboy on April 18, 2021, 11:18:57 AM

I can see they've graded for a bridge and (on Google Maps) rerouted the service road.

The other side is more difficult to reroute the service road due to the rail line running opposite the freeway.  They should do what Caltrans would do, and build the freeway overpass over the frontage road and rail line with ramps having flyovers over the frontage road and rail line and have all three inside the diamond.

Sheryl Crowe

rte66man

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2021, 10:15:18 AM

The other side is more difficult to reroute the service road due to the rail line running opposite the freeway.  They should do what Caltrans would do, and build the freeway overpass over the frontage road and rail line with ramps having flyovers over the frontage road and rail line and have all three inside the diamond.

$$$$$$$$$$$. Missouri doesn't have that kind of money for one interchange.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

SkyPesos

Quote from: rte66man on April 20, 2021, 10:44:24 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2021, 10:15:18 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$. Missouri doesn't have that kind of money for one interchange.
My guess is they used up their money on making MO 364 phase 1 10 lanes wide when traffic levels are low enough to be 6 lanes even 18 years after opening, and phase 2 8 lanes wide with an auxiliary lane, along with 2 frontage lanes in each direction. Would've been nice if they spent the money elsewhere, like the originally proposed SPUI design at US 40 and Brentwood. The current tight diamond have left turns onto the ramps backed up frequently from my experience.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.