Two Different Businesses With the Same Name on One Sign.

Started by ErmineNotyours, October 30, 2023, 08:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

Dick's Drive-in started in Seattle in 1954, and after decades of no growth, they started adding locations a few years ago.  One location is at Crossroads Mall in Bellevue, which already has a Dick's Sporting Goods, which started in 1948 in New York City.  Interesting to see both names on one sign board.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

lepidopteran

In Annapolis, MD, there was a Best Buy next door to a BEST Products.  But the latter chain went out of business before the store opened.  The Best Buy is still open.  Not sure if there was a common sign, though.

CNGL-Leudimin

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens with Netto (Danish store, "Dog Netto") and Netto Marken Discount ("Dog-less Netto", or as I know it "Cat Netto" due to an ad portraying it as a cat supermarket they ran years ago) in Germany.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

gonealookin

Getting there by businesses using the place name in their doing-business-as name is probably cheating, but here's one with an impressive five "Tahoe"s out of seven businesses.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RdQZ76HfsdtSBwRr9

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

drebbin37

Dirt Roads

Quote from: drebbin37 on November 02, 2023, 08:28:09 PM
Loews Theaters are now AMC, but this street view from 2015 had Lowe's and Loews on the same sign in Plainville, CT.  Five Below is at the bottom, too!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6769526,-72.8424779,3a,75y,264.88h,92t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sh6lEbxiyZbZSTSmS2xEz5w!2e0!5s20150801T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

I can do you one better.  Lowe's Home Improvement and Lowe's Foods at the same location in Cape Carteret, North Carolina. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6906228,-77.0650602,3a,15y,276.58h,93.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOm2DQzCkcKUBq7Q_8X67gA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
It is disqualified, because for some reason they didn't put them both on the same sign.  The official sign for Lowes's Food is down at the next entrance, even though the grocery store is up at this entrance.

Perhaps someone knows of another location, or even better, Lowe's Home Improvement next to a Lowe's Market in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado or Arkansas.  I haven't found any yet.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 02, 2023, 09:10:40 PM
Loews Theaters are now AMC, but this street view from 2015 had Lowe's and Loews on the same sign in Plainville, CT.  Five Below is at the bottom, too!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6769526,-72.8424779,3a,75y,264.88h,92t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sh6lEbxiyZbZSTSmS2xEz5w!2e0!5s20150801T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu
I can do you one better.  Lowe's Home Improvement and Lowe's Foods at the same location in Cape Carteret, North Carolina. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6906228,-77.0650602,3a,15y,276.58h,93.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOm2DQzCkcKUBq7Q_8X67gA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
It is disqualified, because for some reason they didn't put them both on the same sign.  The official sign for Lowes's Food is down at the next entrance, even though the grocery store is up at this entrance.

Perhaps someone knows of another location, or even better, Lowe's Home Improvement next to a Lowe's Market in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado or Arkansas.  I haven't found any yet.

It sounds like the Holy Grail for this thread would be an old sign with a Lowe's Food, Lowe's Home Improvement, and Loew's Theaters.

andrepoiy

There's two kinds of Popeye's in Canada (Popeye's Chicken, and Popeye's Supplements) but I don't think I've seen any that are in the same plaza

jp the roadgeek

Have yet to find a plaza with a Walmart and a Walgreens
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

lepidopteran

A mall in Columbus, OH had a Wendy's Bridal shop and a Wendy's hamburgers right next door to each other.  Tell me they didn't do that on purpose.

The mall was either Eastland or Westland.

7/8

Quote from: andrepoiy on November 02, 2023, 10:52:05 PM
There's two kinds of Popeye's in Canada (Popeye's Chicken, and Popeye's Supplements) but I don't think I've seen any that are in the same plaza

This reminds me of the time I was visiting Winnipeg with my friend. He wanted "Popeye's" for lunch (chicken of course), so I searched Popeye's on Google Maps and we drove halfway across the city, only to find Popeye's Supplements instead. He was not impressed! :-D There was a KFC nearby, so we settled for that.

At the time in 2017, I didn't see any Popeye's Chicken in Winnipeg, but now I see several.

1995hoo

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 02, 2023, 09:43:26 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 02, 2023, 09:10:40 PM

It sounds like the Holy Grail for this thread would be an old sign with a Lowe's Food, Lowe's Home Improvement, and Loew's Theaters.

Or, even more so, if there had been such northeast of Charlotte near the speedway, as at one point Lowe's Home Improvement owned the naming rights such that some media outlets called it "Lowe's Motor Speedway" instead of "Charlotte Motor Speedway." That would have lent itself to four instances on one sign.

There are two corporations named "Hershey" that are both based in the same area of Pennsylvania—the Hershey Creamery Company (also known as "Hershey's Ice Cream") and the Hershey Company (known for making chocolate), both founded in Lancaster County in the same year. I've never seen both on the same sign, but I've been to stores that carried both companies' products. They were founded by unrelated people named Hershey and the chocolate company has a major stick up its arse about the idea that anyone else uses that name, but it's hard to enjoin someone from using the founder's own name as the business name unless there is direct competition for the same products (witness the famous case where CBS sued an auto mechanic named Ed Sullivan for operating a garage under his own name—CBS lost).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

Marion, IA.  There's a greenhouse right on 151 called Culver's and it's really close the Culver's most of us are familar with.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

lepidopteran

There are two grocery chains named Giant -- Giant of Carlisle (PA), and Giant of Landover (MD).  But although the territories of these stores do overlap, you'll never find both names on the same sign (having two supermarkets in the same shopping center was a more common occurrence than you think).  Carlisle stores in MD are called "Martin's", and Landover stores outside of MD are "Super G" (or at least there used to be.)  Today, both stores are owned by the same parent company, Royal Ahold.  Oh, and don't forget a third grocery chain with some common territory: Giant Eagle.

For other brands, two snack companies in PA are named Snyder's of Berlin (now part of Utz) and Snyder's of Hanover.  The cities are about 125 miles apart.

lepidopteran

There were two unrelated gas station chains called Hess (the first one has been merged into Speedway).  They served different parts of the country.

http://www.gassigns.org/bigemblm/droz-hesswilco-Kenly_NC-200311.jpg
http://www.gassigns.org/bigemblm/backlin-hess-20040704.jpg

These can all be found on the Gas Signs website, at http://www.gassigns.org/hess.htm

Edit -- removed embedded images, as they do not appear.  Replaced with links.

kphoger

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 15, 2024, 10:21:25 PM
Edit -- removed embedded images, as they do not appear.  Replaced with links.

That's just a known issue with specific browsers.  Those image links should render just fine on other browsers, unless something has changed since I last knew.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

in the township area just west of Appleton, WI, there is a fire sprinkler contractor called 'Fireline'. Several blocks away, there is a firearms retailer and indoor shooting range called 'Fireline'.

Mike

tmoore952

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 15, 2024, 10:13:37 PM
There are two grocery chains named Giant -- Giant of Carlisle (PA), and Giant of Landover (MD).  But although the territories of these stores do overlap, you'll never find both names on the same sign (having two supermarkets in the same shopping center was a more common occurrence than you think).  Carlisle stores in MD are called "Martin's", and Landover stores outside of MD are "Super G" (or at least there used to be.)  Today, both stores are owned by the same parent company, Royal Ahold.  Oh, and don't forget a third grocery chain with some common territory: Giant Eagle.

Giant Eagle is headquartered in O'Hara Township PA, just north of Pittsburgh.

When we drive from our friends house in Mechanicsburg PA to our house, we pass examples of all three (Giant of Carlisle, Giant Eagle, and Giant of Landover).

Giant of Carlisle examples in Mechanicsburg (SW corner of US 11-PA 114 intersection, and also on E side of US 15 in Dillsburg).
Giant Eagle example is visible from US 15 in Frederick MD -- to the W side, although it is not accessible directly from US 15.
Giant of Landover example at Gerrmantown, MD just E of Exit 16 (Father Hurley Boulevard) on I-270.

Dillsburg and Germantown are within 75 miles of each other along US 15/I-270 (with Frederick in between)
(side note for completeness -- this road becomes US 40 exclusively for a short distance in Frederick).

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on January 16, 2024, 12:54:25 PM
in the township area just west of Appleton, WI, there is a fire sprinkler contractor called 'Fireline'. Several blocks away, there is a firearms retailer and indoor shooting range called 'Fireline'.

In Wichita, Buckley Industries (a foam products manufacturing plant) is 2¼ miles from Buckley Roofing (a commercial roofing company).

In Chicago, there's a Marco's Beef (6008 W Fullerton) 12½ miles from Marco's Barber Shop (4008 W 63rd).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dlsterner

Well, I did not realize that.  Explains why when shopping (on a road trip) at the Giant in Buck PA, the self-serve checkout rejected my Giant shopper's card that I have from Maryland.  *facepalm*

I at least just shrugged and put the card away, rather than going to Customer Service and getting embarassed.

1995hoo

For other brands, two snack companies in PA are named Snyder's of Berlin (now part of Utz) and Snyder's of Hanover.  The cities are about 125 miles apart.

Landover stores in Virginia and DC are also called "Giant." Once upon a time some of their bigger stores were called "Super Giant," but that's been gone for at least 30 years, and then they had what was commonly referred to as "Giant Gourmet" in McLean—a far nicer (and more expensive) store that was more along the lines of Balducci's, a gourmet grocery store that didn't carry the ordinary day-to-day merchandise like hot dogs or Frosted Flakes or toilet paper (there was, and may still be, a regular Giant directly across the street that carried such). The Giant Gourmet closed around 20 years ago or so. Too bad. It was definitely not an "everyday" kind of store, but it was an excellent place to go when you were having people over or for occasions like Christmas, Thanksgiving, your anniversary, etc. Maybe that's why they ultimately closed it.

Edited to add: A Google search revealed that Giant Gourmet was open from 1982 to 2006 and closed because it wasn't getting enough business, especially in view of increased competition.

Edited a second time: A Google search also revealed that "Super Giant" stores were combination grocery and department stores and that they abandoned that idea in 1978. The date would explain why I didn't quite remember exactly what those stores were, though I recall my first high school Latin teacher ("first" because she died halfway through my 10th grade year) always called Giant "Super Giant," even the relatively small store that back then was located across the street from the high school.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.