Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

halork

Quote from: vdeane on April 22, 2015, 09:17:59 PM
Plus there's nowhere to go.  Bing is a joke and MapQuest and Yahoo remind people of the 90s.

True, but Google is now so degraded that it gives the others a good opportunity to close the gap.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: halork on April 23, 2015, 05:36:49 AM
Quote from: vdeane on April 22, 2015, 09:17:59 PM
Plus there's nowhere to go.  Bing is a joke and MapQuest and Yahoo remind people of the 90s.

True, but Google is now so degraded that it gives the others a good opportunity to close the gap.

Not by a longshot.  I don't care for the new Google Maps, but, I'm getting used to it. 

This is sounding more and more like a grumpy old man club where no one wants anything to change ever!

US 41

Google is still way in the lead. None of the other mapping sites have streetview except Bing, but Bing is only in large (American?) cities at this point. Google streetview is everywhere.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hotdogPi

Here's something strange: For me, the new "Lite" mode redirects to Classic.

Quote from: US 41 on April 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AM
Google is still way in the lead. None of the other mapping sites have streetview except Bing, but Bing is only in large (American?) cities at this point. Google streetview is everywhere.

So Google is ahead in streetview, but other maps are ahead in other areas. Why not use Google for streetview and others for other times you need an online map? (Not counting those who are still able/required to use Classic)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

bugo

I did some comparisons of the routings of US 64 and 79 in Memphis and West Memphis. None of the mapping services agreed with each other. Map Quest even shows US 64 following I-40 over the DeSoto bridge instead of crossing at the Memphis-Arkansas bridge which it has since 1949.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=15379.0

Bickendan

MapQuest should be mirroring OSM.

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on April 23, 2015, 10:13:47 AM
Here's something strange: For me, the new "Lite" mode redirects to Classic.

Quote from: US 41 on April 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AM

So Google is ahead in streetview, but other maps are ahead in other areas. Why not use Google for streetview and others for other times you need an online map? (Not counting those who are still able/required to use Classic)

That's exactly what I do.  Plus, Bing has a great bird's eye view in a lot of places whereas Google's bird's eye view now sucks.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Brandon on April 23, 2015, 02:48:05 PM
Plus, Bing has a great bird's eye view in a lot of places whereas Google's bird's eye view now sucks.
Agreed.  I used to use Bing the most, primarily for the bird's eye view.  When Streetview really picked up, I switched over primarily to Google.  For awhile I would use both, sometimes simultaneously to look at the same area with bird's eye and GSV.

formulanone

SignGeek101

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SignGeek101

J N Winkler

Don't see anything either--what I see is a blank piece of land near Rawalpindi.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Zeffy

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 24, 2015, 11:35:27 AM
Don't see anything either--what I see is a blank piece of land near Rawalpindi.

Welp, looks like Google found it. It was a "drawing" of an Android (the one Google uses for their phone OS) character urinating on an Apple logo.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

kkt

I see it now so it hasn't been taken away.

The second one is strange, I see parts of it, but some rectangles don't load.  Zooming in makes some load but not others.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kkt on April 24, 2015, 12:26:44 PMI see it now so it hasn't been taken away.

It has here.  I suspect you may still see it because of a delay propagating the change through a decentralized system.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bing101

SignGeek101

Quote from: bing101 on April 25, 2015, 07:15:28 PM
http://fox40.com/2015/04/24/the-android-apple-rivalry-gets-vulgar-in-google-maps/

Here is an update.

I think the news reporters are a little stupid not to realize that the Android is urinating on the apple, not "throwing a glass of water on it".

Perhaps they didn't want to say that on TV though.

NE2

Even so-called 'lite mode' uses an insane amount of memory. Fuck you, Goog.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

NE2

Credit where credit is due: the 'schedule explorer' rocks.

Sykotyk

Well, I'm not happy. Can't get to classic view anymore. For as advanced as my PC is, under Firefox, google maps is exceedingly slow and buggy. Switching to Classic worked. Lite works well, but has zero functionality that classic had (adding waypoints, moving the route, etc). So, what's the point?

I understand they're trying to make a one-size fits all map for both desktop, tablet, and phone users,... but classic worked fine.

This is the problem with google, or really any tech company. Instead of just updating something, it must be 'redesigned' as part of the update. Want to add something? Let's not just add it. Let's redesign the whole system as well. It makes it look like they're doing something.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Sykotyk on May 01, 2015, 01:09:43 AM
Well, I'm not happy. Can't get to classic view anymore. For as advanced as my PC is, under Firefox, google maps is exceedingly slow and buggy. Switching to Classic worked. Lite works well, but has zero functionality that classic had (adding waypoints, moving the route, etc). So, what's the point?

https://www.google.com/lochp

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.