News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

tcorlandoinsavannah

Google Maps now officially sucks like a ten dollar whore on OBT!  Why did they ruin a good product?  Now it won't even let me revert to the "classic" mode.  And when you check off the reasons the new one sucks balls, and click return to classic, it brings up this horsecrap "Lite" mode.  Screw you and your offspring, Google!!!!
End rant.

hotdogPi

http://www.google.com/mapmaker

Is this close enough to Classic? The one disadvantage is that traffic cannot be viewed.

(To get directions, right-click "get directions from here" and "get directions to here")
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadrunner75

Quote from: tcorlandoinsavannah on May 02, 2015, 02:06:05 PM
Google Maps now officially sucks like a ten dollar whore on OBT!  Why did they ruin a good product?  Now it won't even let me revert to the "classic" mode.  And when you check off the reasons the new one sucks balls, and click return to classic, it brings up this horsecrap "Lite" mode.  Screw you and your offspring, Google!!!!
End rant.
As noted above and on the other Google maps thread, you can still use one of the following:
https://www.google.com/lochp
https://maps.google.com/maps?output=classi

Maybe we need a pinned, locked, one post thread at the top of "Off Topic" or other appropriate board called "How to still access Classic Google Maps", listing whatever current links work at the time and updated as necessary.  It seems important enough to forum use, due to all the map links posted.

Now, can someone give me an easy way, via modifying the URL to one of the above links, to revert to Classic once I've already clicked on a GSV/Map link in a thread?  I can access Classic directly by clicking on the above links, which will take me to my current default location.  However, if I click on a link on the forum, it will go to new maps, and once I'm there, there is no way that I can figure out yet how to modify the URL using one of the above links to refresh the page to Classic mode.  I'm just stuck with new maps or Lite mode at that point.

Roadsguy

I've noticed that in Lite Mode, Street View shows up with the annoying curve effect of a panorama, but this doesn't happen in regular mode. Anyone else notice this?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Billy F 1988

What a pile of toxic garbage from Google, and yet, I use Chrome and GMaps is THE WORST CPU eater of all time. Even when my WiFi signal is at optimum strength, it'll lag when I load something there. And quite frankly, I don't want a fucked up Google Maps. I want Google to stop fucking around with it and screwing up routes that do or don't appear, incorrectly marking up routes on miles of road where it shouldn't belong, using the wrong marker, etc. In lamen terms: Google should stop fucking around with GMaps...PERIOD!!!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 02, 2015, 02:27:01 PM
As noted above and on the other Google maps thread, you can still use one of the following:

Maybe we need a pinned, locked, one post thread at the top of "Off Topic" or other appropriate board called "How to still access Classic Google Maps", listing whatever current links work at the time and updated as necessary.  It seems important enough to forum use, due to all the map links posted.

Make it, and I will pin it (till the links no longer work of course).

Roadrunner75

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 04, 2015, 01:06:08 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 02, 2015, 02:27:01 PM

Make it, and I will pin it (till the links no longer work of course).
Thanks - I just posted it on this board.
I've also been trying to find a good way to modify the URL once you're already in new maps to revert the current map/GSV to Classic.  No luck yet...

Brian556

I was looking at the OKC area during storms and Google maps now displays Storm Warnings for the area you are looking at

Duke87

I've been using the new maps for a while so all the fuss over tricks to still access classic doesn't appeal to me.

That said it seems as time goes on, Google's graphics team is increasingly shitting its pants and just not even trying. Ever since Google stopped using NavTeq data they've been struggling to keep the colors of roads straight. There are always orange expressways, yellow freeways, and even white freeways out there. Now you also get shit like this, where I don't even know how that happens.

The latest blunder is they've eliminated the "M" logo they used to use for subway stops and just given them the same icon as other rail stations... thus rendering subway and commuter rail services indistinguishable from each other on the map. Nice job! Meanwhile certain cities like Boston still get special logos for their stations that match those used by the local transit agency.

The idea of putting a different border on roadways you can't use without paying a toll is actually a nice feature... if it were implemented properly. For example, Google does not at all properly identify where free rides are available on the Garden State Parkway. Relevant stupidity. This isn't even a pair of ramps open to the public. :pan: Who the fuck is drawing these maps and why do they seem to have brain capacity on par with the average dopefish?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Duke87 on May 08, 2015, 11:12:27 AM
For example, Google does not at all properly identify where free rides are available on the Garden State Parkway.

The Parkway is a bit unique in that while it's a toll road, there are many options where one can enter and exit without paying a toll, while the guy driving next to you will be paying a toll as he will continue past the point where you exit.  Marking the whole thing as a toll road is the proper way to show it because it is a toll road, even though not all users will need to pay a toll.

(Technically, one can use the NJ Turnpike's southern most mile without paying a toll as well)

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2015, 11:27:04 AM
Marking the whole thing as a toll road is the proper way to show it because it is a toll road, even though not all users will need to pay a toll.
Completely wrong. Should the entire length of I-95/295 from Baltimore to the NJ Turnpike be marked as a toll road? It's all maintained with toll money.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

There are a few places where free sections of otherwise tolled highways are marked properly, e.g. https://goo.gl/rf0j6R, but the majority are marked incorrectly. There's no user access to set the toll attribute, it has to be reported and set by Google's monkeys.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NE2 on May 08, 2015, 11:41:55 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2015, 11:27:04 AM
Marking the whole thing as a toll road is the proper way to show it because it is a toll road, even though not all users will need to pay a toll.
Completely wrong. Should the entire length of I-95/295 from Baltimore to the NJ Turnpike be marked as a toll road? It's all maintained with toll money.

Using toll money to maintain a road is clearly not the same thing as paying a toll to use a toll road.  Rt. 42 in NJ is maintained in part by the Atlantic City Expressway, even though it's clearly not a toll road.

Using DE's I-95 as an example, everyone on that road between Interchange 1 and MD's Interchange 109 must pay a toll, but no one entering and exiting between Interchanges 1 & 5 need to pay a toll.

On the GSP, someone that enters the GSP North from Interchange 67 and exits at Interchange 74 does not pay a toll, but someone entering from Interchange 69 and exits at Interchange 74 does pay a toll.

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2015, 12:12:29 PM
On the GSP, someone that enters the GSP North from Interchange 67 and exits at Interchange 74 does not pay a toll, but someone entering from Interchange 69 and exits at Interchange 74 does pay a toll.
The correct way to code this is to have the entrance at 69 marked as toll. It may not look right, but the alternative is to have it not give correct directions. Consider this route from Barnegat to Forked River while avoiding tolls.

Perhaps an even better example: the GSP has always been free from Cape May to Cape May Court House. When the south-facing ramps at exit 4 were built, the GSP tolled them. But nothing else changed; the GSP remains free there if you don't use exit 4.

(PS: the 1955 topo shows that the GSP was originally two lanes on the current southbound side. Does this explain the weird left entrance at exit 13? [edit: yes it does])

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

And then there is the occasional $0.00 toll on a toll road (one example is I-88 to I-87 on the Thruway).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Duke87

Quote from: 1 on May 08, 2015, 02:19:44 PM
And then there is the occasional $0.00 toll on a toll road (one example is I-88 to I-87 on the Thruway).

This particular example at least is impossible to map properly since the way it is set up is indeterminate. There is no particular segment of roadway that is free for everyone who uses it.

The best way to program this would be to create a virtual free roadway connecting exit 25A to exits 26, 25, and 24 that has all the same attributes as the actual Thruway roads but is marked as free and does not render graphically on the map. This allows any "avoid tolls" algorithm to use the available free rides on the Thruway without sacrificing geographic accuracy on the map.

But that's way too much to expect from a mapping team that just traces satellite photos and guesses at what class each road should be marked as. I can appreciate that Google wants all their map data to be their own intellectual property rather than having to pay royalties for it but they really need better QC.

dfwmapper

Just wait. They're disabling the entire Map Maker service "temporarily" as of May 12, with no specified date on when it will be available again. They claim to be doing it so they can catch up on the backlog of edits that have accumulated since auto-publishing and user reviews were disabled after the spam incidents, but that excuse smells a little bullshitty to me and it won't shock me if it never comes back. If you think it's bad now, just wait until there's no way to unfuck it.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on May 08, 2015, 05:51:43 PM

This particular example at least is impossible to map properly since the way it is set up is indeterminate.

No it's not. It's free between exits 24 and 25A and exits 25A and 26. The east-facing ramps at exit 25 are toll, as are the main lanes through exit 25A.

Duke87

Quote from: NE2 on May 08, 2015, 11:16:50 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on May 08, 2015, 05:51:43 PM

This particular example at least is impossible to map properly since the way it is set up is indeterminate.

No it's not. It's free between exits 24 and 25A and exits 25A and 26. The east-facing ramps at exit 25 are toll, as are the main lanes through exit 25A.

Hmm. That's weird since it's totally different from how the toll plazas are actually placed, but you're right, it does work.

billtm

Quote from: dfwmapper on May 08, 2015, 08:13:06 PM
Just wait. They're disabling the entire Map Maker service "temporarily" as of May 12, with no specified date on when it will be available again. They claim to be doing it so they can catch up on the backlog of edits that have accumulated since auto-publishing and user reviews were disabled after the spam incidents, but that excuse smells a little bullshitty to me and it won't shock me if it never comes back. If you think it's bad now, just wait until there's no way to unfuck it.
FML. :banghead:

Zeffy

Quote from: billtm on May 16, 2015, 09:06:39 PM

Well, there's an extremely racist "prank" or whatever you want to call it in the new Google Maps... maybe it's best if the Google Map Maker is turned off for the general public, and maybe Google should look into only allowing certified people who know what the hell they are doing to edit it. (For example: dfwmapper  ;-))
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Zeffy on May 20, 2015, 12:45:46 PM
Quote from: billtm on May 16, 2015, 09:06:39 PM

Well, there's an extremely racist "prank" or whatever you want to call it in the new Google Maps... maybe it's best if the Google Map Maker is turned off for the general public, and maybe Google should look into only allowing certified people who know what the hell they are doing to edit it. (For example: dfwmapper  ;-))

If they were willing to pay me, I'd edit stuff for Google. lol.

dfwmapper

That actually has nothing to do with Map Maker or even any data on the map, it's all in Google's search algorithms. People make web pages or social media posts and other random crap with something like "mah n***a Obama" and those words become associated with each other. Make a search for a word often associated with Obama and "house" in Washington DC and guess what it's going to find? There's an entire industry of search engine optimization (SEO) that exists to try to get keyword matches like this on search engines, though without the racism.

jakeroot

Quote from: dfwmapper on May 21, 2015, 02:50:05 AM
...though without the racism.

The computers are answering algorithms the way they were meant to (without emotion and opinion). Sure, it produces some unwanted answers, but censoring isn't going to help anyone.

D-Dey65

Okay, how about this; The standard train station logo on East 241st Street in the Bronx for Wakefield Metro-North station, which is on the Harlem Line was placed over the New Haven Line. I've tried to report this error to them in the past, and they actually moved the logo FURTHER EAST.

I scanned a picture of the error, but I haven't posted it on imugr yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.