News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

dfwmapper

Not Google's problem. For any transit that has scheduling information, all of that data including exact station locations comes directly from the transit agency. MTA's own data files have the location listed as 40.905424,-73.854665, which is exactly where the marker is on Google (and Bing, and Mapquest). You'll have to get MTA to fix it. MTA has a Google Group at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mtadeveloperresources for discussion of their data, so you might consider posting there and asking them to review and correct the location.

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 25, 2015, 11:48:32 AM
I scanned a picture of the error, but I haven't posted it on imugr yet.
You took a physical photograph of your computer monitor and scanned it?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on May 25, 2015, 07:28:06 PM
Yes, I just pushed the PrintScan button on my keyboard, then posted it on a Bitmap file. After that I edited the file and saved the new version as a JPEG, and just tossed the Bitmap version in the recycling bin.

US 41

The links to the classic maps no longer work.  :-(
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

SignGeek101

US 41

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jakeroot

Made a little video ... hopefully I'm not the only one who likes the Stereo MCs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzxeqKku3_A

Zeffy

For some reason, the new Google Maps on the US servers now runs perfect in both map and street view form, with no lag. What I dislike immensely, however, is the UGLY squished single-digit Interstate shields that now appear on the map:

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

Quote from: Zeffy on May 29, 2015, 09:47:07 AM
What I dislike immensely, however, is the UGLY squished single-digit Interstate shields that now appear on the map:

Classic has those, too.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Highway63

The Washington Post just had an article about Mapquest (link to reprint elsewhere). MQ should try to capitalize on dissatisfaction with the new Google Maps, but the "new web version" mentioned at the very end could make that bad too.

US 41

I like using Rand McNally's online map. It works really fast and is pretty accurate.

EDIT: I do like how Mapquest clearly maps whether a freeway is a toll road or a free road.

EDIT #2: Google Maps has the best streetview of course, but ever since the new maps came out, I think other sites have caught up and many are now even slightly better than Google on directions and maps. I hate when you go to change your route on the new Google Maps and it routes you onto a dead end road close to the highway instead of putting the modifier circle on the highway. The old maps was (and still is) way better.

Scott5114

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 26, 2015, 12:05:29 AM
Quote from: NE2 on May 25, 2015, 07:28:06 PM
Yes, I just pushed the PrintScan button on my keyboard, then posted it on a Bitmap file. After that I edited the file and saved the new version as a JPEG, and just tossed the Bitmap version in the recycling bin.
You should print out the JPEG and fax it to him.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2015, 07:49:25 PM
You should print out the JPEG and fax it to him.
Ugh! I can't do that, because I don't have an actual printer or fax machine, and have no plans to get one. In the meantime, I'll consider hooking up with that MTA Google Groups page dfwmapper mentioned.

bugo

I just hope Poogle doesn't fuck Gmail in its shitty ass and ruin it like they've ruined Maps. It would cause major problems.

stormwatch7721

There is a box in the classic Google maps link blocking it.

Sykotyk

Quote from: bugo on June 07, 2015, 10:17:10 AM
I just hope Poogle doesn't fuck Gmail in its shitty ass and ruin it like they've ruined Maps. It would cause major problems.

I use Gmail for work. They've already 'tweaked' the android app once and it became a lot less intuitive (plus, placing the 'write a new email' icon over top of some of your emails instead of in the header is odd). I'm hoping that's as bad as it gets.

As for Google Maps, there's still one more way into the old maps that I know of. Though it also says that it's soon to be replaced. Maybe they'll forget this one.

AND just as I say that, I check the link and it takes me to the new maps. So, scratch another hack off the list. I'm out of options now. I hate new maps. One thing I'd do frequently is string a bunch of waypoints in a row and then hit search. It was easy to just keep hitting 'add location' to get about 10-15-20 open, and then start entering locations. With new maps, it is WAY TOO SLOW to do that, and wants to keep updating the route as I add waypoints. Which is  data hog. Also, switching between map and earth is very slow. And street view, which used to be AWESOME is now almost an afterthought with Google.

Oh well. Yahoo Maps works pretty good without street view.

empirestate

For whatever it's worth, I discovered today that you can now turn off labels in Earth (satellite) mode. That was my original and biggest complaint with new Maps.

jakeroot

Quote from: empirestate on June 11, 2015, 12:36:46 AM
For whatever it's worth, I discovered today that you can now turn off labels in Earth (satellite) mode. That was my original and biggest complaint with new Maps.

I didn't notice that before. Great feature.

NE2

I just opened the new Goog in IE and it runs fine. What the fuck.

[edit]Oh, it's lite mode. Still much faster than Firefox.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

stormwatch7721

I'm going to miss the classic google maps.  :-( I don't know what to do anymore.

intelati49

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on June 25, 2015, 12:42:05 PM
I'm going to miss the classic google maps.  :-( I don't know what to do anymore.

Google Earth.

It's the only way to avoid crashing FF on my shitty work computer.

kkt

Quote from: intelati49 on June 25, 2015, 12:46:03 PM
Google Earth.

It's the only way to avoid crashing FF on my shitty work computer.

Google Earth makes my shitty work computer glacial slow.

wxfree

Is everyone else no longer able to navigate in Street View with the arrow keys?  It lets me turn the view, but not move backward or forward with the arrows.  I have to click with the mouse to move, so I can only go forward or sideways; backward is no longer possible.

This is very annoying.  Now I can navigate Street View with arrow keys only in Google Earth.  I hardly use the new maps, and now I have more reason not to.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.