News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

jakeroot

Quote from: US 41 on February 08, 2016, 10:41:07 AM
Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on February 07, 2016, 06:16:36 PM
In case anybody is still interested, I am STILL able to access Classic Google Maps via ClassyGMaps despite continuing rumors that it is dead. Link: http://gokml.net/maps-azteca.php#ll=42.345573,-71.098326&z=3&t=r

I am. And thanks for the link.

Why are you two still using the old Maps? The new Maps is great. It's a hell of a lot faster than it used to be.

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2016, 02:22:57 PM
In case anybody is still interested, I am STILL able to access Classic Google Maps via ClassyGMaps despite continuing rumors that it is dead. Link: http://gokml.net/maps-azteca.php#ll=42.345573,-71.098326&z=3&t=r

Why are you two still using the old Maps? The new Maps is great. It's a hell of a lot faster than it used to be.

Um... because the new maps only runs in crippled mode on my computers?  My work computer really is pretty old but my workplace is cheap, so...

And at home the computer is fine but it's not running Windows or MacOS or Chrome so as far as Google is concerned it just doesn't count.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on February 08, 2016, 05:37:24 PM

Um... because the new maps only runs in crippled mode on my computers?  My work computer really is pretty old but my workplace is cheap, so...

And at home the computer is fine but it's not running Windows or MacOS or Chrome so as far as Google is concerned it just doesn't count.

I didn't know there were computers that still couldn't run it. My bad.

What OS do you run at home?

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2016, 06:00:57 PM

PCBSD... it's a branch of FreeBSD with a KDE desktop environment.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jakeroot on December 09, 2015, 10:11:30 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on December 08, 2015, 07:35:35 PM
Trivial, but does Google actually edit business descriptions? Who are they to be able to drive-by judge places they may or may not have been to?

This is why I wish I could get rid of Google Maps. Nothing wrong with the business, it's an accurate description, but they just seem creepy in these cases.

You are joking, right? Google is a data company ... the descriptions were likely mined from food websites, such as OpenTable.

They seem to be scraping Gas Buddy now as well, because on the mobile version I recently saw gas prices under the names of stations in my area.

US 41

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2016, 06:00:57 PM
Quote from: kkt on February 08, 2016, 05:37:24 PM

I didn't know there were computers that still couldn't run it. My bad.

I've been using Lite Mode which seems to work fine, but the "Full Mode" Google Maps runs way to slow. But when I'm planning out trips I can't edit my route on Lite Mode, so I still use ClassyGMap as much as I can. Trying to edit a route on Full Google Maps is just plain irritating. Example: You try dragging the edit dot onto US 70 and it puts the edit dot on some alley a quarter of a mile away from US 70. On the ClassyGMap that doesn't happen. It automatically puts the dot on the major highway near by.

EDIT: It doesn't look like you can do directions on ClassyGMap anymore.  :-(
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: US 41 on February 09, 2016, 09:45:40 AM
I've been using Lite Mode which seems to work fine, but the "Full Mode" Google Maps runs way to slow. But when I'm planning out trips I can't edit my route on Lite Mode, so I still use ClassyGMap as much as I can. Trying to edit a route on Full Google Maps is just plain irritating. Example: You try dragging the edit dot onto US 70 and it puts the edit dot on some alley a quarter of a mile away from US 70. On the ClassyGMap that doesn't happen. It automatically puts the dot on the major highway near by.

This is the "feature" of the new Google Maps that I hate the most. I'm glad someone else doesn't like it either.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

billtm

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2016, 01:05:20 AM
Quote from: billtm on February 07, 2016, 11:24:35 PM
Has anyone figured out how to get satellite imagery on the new google maps without having to go into lite mode? Because I still want to be able to drag the blue line in directions, but still see undistorted Satellite imagery.

Hit the "menu" button (three horizontal lines) in the top left of Maps, and select "3D on" below the "Earth" label. This will change the label to "3D off" and will disable 3D imagery.

Oh my goodness! I feel so stupid now! :banghead:
In non-3D mode, all the speed problems I had with the new Google Maps are fixed now. They seriously should just make Satellite the default mode, and then have you turn 3D on to get into Earth. The Satimagery is way more useful, while Earth just makes it look prettier.

Follow-up question: Is there a way to see the 45-degree imagery in the new Google Maps? :hmmm:

freebrickproductions

Quote from: billtm on February 09, 2016, 08:32:03 PM
Follow-up question: Is there a way to see the 45-degree imagery in the new Google Maps? :hmmm:
In standard Google Maps: No.
In Lite Mode: Yes.
45-degree mode seems to be a lite-mode only feature now, sadly. It's really a waste, IMO to get rid of it from standard Google Maps.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

billtm

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 10, 2016, 11:17:25 AM
Quote from: billtm on February 09, 2016, 08:32:03 PM
In standard Google Maps: No.
In Lite Mode: Yes.
45-degree mode seems to be a lite-mode only feature now, sadly. It's really a waste, IMO to get rid of it from standard Google Maps.

Well that's really weird and really freaking stupid.
It would seem more logical to make regular mode have all the features of lite mode and more.

vdeane

I'm pretty sure Google decided to not move forward with the 45 degree imagery, which is why it's not in the regular google maps.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

billtm

What the frick is going on with Google Maps now! :banghead: Last week street view wouldn't work, and now the map is lagging to the point where it takes a minute to load a city! To top it all off, terrain mode is greyed out everywhere I go! At least I got around the street view problem by using the right-click whats here? feature. But before today, I have never had problems with Google Maps and lag. :pan:

jakeroot

Quote from: billtm on February 28, 2016, 07:06:59 PM
What the frick is going on with Google Maps now! :banghead: Last week street view wouldn't work...before today, I have never had problems with Google Maps and lag. :pan:

Are you sure? Certainly doesn't sound like it.  :-D

FWIW, I'm not having any problems.

bandit957

Notice that Street View just removed the house numbers from the little box with the street name.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

vdeane

What the frick is going on with Google Maps now! :banghead: Last week street view wouldn't work, and now the map is lagging to the point where it takes a minute to load a city! To top it all off, terrain mode is greyed out everywhere I go! At least I got around the street view problem by using the right-click whats here? feature. But before today, I have never had problems with Google Maps and lag. :pan:
I don't know, but both Google Maps and Google Earth were running slow today for me at work.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

billtm

Quote from: vdeane on February 29, 2016, 05:43:16 PM
I don't know, but both Google Maps and Google Earth were running slow today for me at work.
Google earth works fine for me, but the way it labels roads is not nice for route tracking. Just checked, and it looks like they finally brought back terrain mode, which I like alot for river tracking. It looks like its back up to speed too, so I don't know what the heck was going on yesterday... :confused:

NE2

So how am I supposed to use full mode on my computer? It's an eight-year-old Dell Vostro 2510 running Vista. Since I don't give a shit about video games, everything else I do runs fine. The version of IE on Vista won't even run full mode. In Firefox, full mode works but after about ten clicks in street view it's eaten so much memory that it won't load anything else. Chrome will soon stop supporting Vista, so while it works now, it probably won't in the future.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

billtm

Quote from: NE2 on March 04, 2016, 02:26:56 PM
So how am I supposed to use full mode on my computer? It's an eight-year-old Dell Vostro 2510 running Vista. Since I don't give a shit about video games, everything else I do runs fine. The version of IE on Vista won't even run full mode. In Firefox, full mode works but after about ten clicks in street view it's eaten so much memory that it won't load anything else. Chrome will soon stop supporting Vista, so while it works now, it probably won't in the future.
It might be slight overkill, but the best long term option (IMO) is to get a new computer. You can get a nice new laptop running windows 10 with a core i5 and 64GBs of ram for $375.

NE2

A new computer just to run a website that used to work just fine. Thanks, planned obsolescence!
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jakeroot

Quote from: NE2 on March 08, 2016, 12:36:44 AM
A new computer just to run a website that used to work just fine. Thanks, planned obsolescence!

All computers have their limits. Sounds like yours is nearing its end.

Sykotyk

I've been using Google Maps a bit the past month. Some things have improved. But, there's still some absurd limitations.

Can't move the man around once you drop him (you can click on the little insert map, but that doesn't work entirely).

My biggest complaint is still the driving directions. Because it's no longer HTML text boxes, they don't work the same with tab, CTRL+A, etc.

But, it also limits your point selections much more than previously. And, they insist on choosing a route first, rather than showing you the most likely and then allowing you to click on another option. Also, for longer trips, they insist on giving a flight option.

Which is ridiculous. If I was looking for directions between Cleveland and New Orleans, it's because I want to drive there. I don't think a suggestion to fly is going to set off a light in my mind).

The other thing is the distortion of the street view even moreso to get rid of identifying marks and signs. Nothing more annoying than trying to see a business or information sign, only to see the sign blurred.

US 41

Google Maps finally put most of the new Autopista Durango - Mazatlan (40D) on street view. I'm exploring it right now. Sadly this will probably renew my excitement for wanting to do this trip.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

D-Dey65

I swear, too many locations on Google Maps Street View are deliberately being blurred for no reason, especially in Georgia. My most recent gripe, over on US 19 in Georgia in the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest at this little natural landmark called "Stonepile Gap," there's a bicycle sign with two supplemental signs attached to it; one on the top and one on the bottom. Now due to the blurring, I can barely make out the one on the bottom that reads "Share the Road," but I haven't got the foggiest idea what the one on the top says.

vdeane

Indeed.  I was using Google Maps to try to find parking in Saratoga Springs last week and found a lot that was claimed to allow all day parking on the internet, but there was some sign that I couldn't read at the entrance, so I thought I wouldn't be able to use that lot.  Thankfully, someone who knows the area better claimed it was all day, and when I got there, it turned out the sign said "48 hour parking".  The blurring is defeating the point of even having street view.

silverback1065

google maps is great again, google map maker is a piece of shit

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.