News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 18, 2017, 07:31:44 PM
Um... no comment...  :pan: :pan: :pan:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2892003,-115.1005193,14.51z

That's retarded!  Those are at-grade intersections with traffic lights, not interchanges!  I will say, odd road design, though.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

jp the roadgeek

How many years and fixes do I have to put in to get CT 31 north of US 44 labeled as a state route rather than a county route? For the millionth time: THERE ARE NO COUNTY ROUTES IN CONNECTICUT!!
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 20160805 on October 09, 2017, 06:53:05 AM
Um... no comment...  :pan: :pan: :pan:

That's retarded!  Those are at-grade intersections with traffic lights, not interchanges!  I will say, odd road design, though.

You can't comprehend that this will eventually be a highway someday, and they simply didn't build the bridges at this time?

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 09, 2017, 08:28:28 AM
Quote from: 20160805 on October 09, 2017, 06:53:05 AM
Um... no comment...

You can't comprehend that this will eventually be a highway someday, and they simply didn't build the bridges at this time?

I think he's saying that the bridges being shown on Google Maps, even though they aren't there in real life, is retarded. I assume the "odd road design" comment is in reference to the closely-spaced interchanges. Apparently, Clark County hasn't heard of other types of interchanges. Just diamonds and SPUIs.

Plutonic Panda

I think I said this earlier, but it looks like Google just isn't updating their shit either as far as imagery goes. Many project I used to look at which would updated a couple times a year have gone almost a year now and in some cases I think even more without imagery updates. Wtf

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 12, 2017, 03:00:21 AM
I think I said this earlier, but it looks like Google just isn't updating their shit either as far as imagery goes. Many project I used to look at which would updated a couple times a year have gone almost a year now and in some cases I think even more without imagery updates. Wtf

I don't think Google takes their own satellite imagery. Around here, I'm lucky to see new imagery once a year. Areas south of me haven't had new imagery since 2014.

inkyatari

Honestly, when it comes to satellite imagery anymore, I find Earth Explorer better.

https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on October 12, 2017, 09:56:24 AM

I don't think Google takes their own satellite imagery. Around here, I'm lucky to see new imagery once a year. Areas south of me haven't had new imagery since 2014.

Google Earth (the standalone program, anyway, not sure about the new in-browser version) gets imagery updates far more often. Tacoma, WA, for example, has imagery from May of this year in GE.

roadman65

Look how they have I-11 signed. Just barely as its only got a small part anyway. At least they got this one right.  At first I though I was officially signed up to I-215, but that is up for debate right now.  So it does not suck here as I thought, but I thought we could give them credit anyway for some thing. :)
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9747872,-114.9526115,12z
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Today looking at google streetview seems to give my browser a whole lot of trouble.  It blacks out for a second, then shows the streetview again, then blacks out some more, then shows the streetview again.  All without even moving the mouse.  I closed the tab before it crashed the whole browser.  Viva KMLmap.

LM117

Quote from: kkt on October 12, 2017, 07:42:04 PM
Today looking at google streetview seems to give my browser a whole lot of trouble.  It blacks out for a second, then shows the streetview again, then blacks out some more, then shows the streetview again.  All without even moving the mouse.  I closed the tab before it crashed the whole browser.  Viva KMLmap.

I keep having blackouts as well on the Maps app on my android. However, when I use the Chrome browser on my android to access Google Maps from Google's website, the blackouts are gone. It's a temporary fix that works for me, but using a desktop-style Google Maps on an android is a bitch and a half. :banghead:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

empirestate

Quote from: inkyatari on October 12, 2017, 11:03:50 AM
Honestly, when it comes to satellite imagery anymore, I find Earth Explorer better.

https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

Well, it's a shame that USGS has retired its hi-res imagery program, then. :-(

Aerobird

They are. The new road configuration that opened near here in the spring has already been updated twice since construction started last fall.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 12, 2017, 05:47:52 PM

Google Earth (the standalone program, anyway, not sure about the new in-browser version) gets imagery updates far more often. Tacoma, WA, for example, has imagery from May of this year in GE.

I've noticed this as well. Google Maps satellite view now has the 2017 imagery that previously only Google Earth had. But when that imagery comes out, Earth always gets it first. So soon after, clicking the "Historical Imagery" button won't show the newest imagery as an option on the slider (exiting historical view being the only way to return to the new imagery).

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Aerobird on October 14, 2017, 01:44:31 AM

They are. The new road configuration that opened near here in the spring has already been updated twice since construction started last fall.
Not in Oklahoma. Haven't updated OKC in a year now. Used to be twice or more a year. Same thing with Las Vegas, Reno, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, and Wichita.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: jakeroot on October 16, 2017, 12:10:02 AM

I've noticed this as well. Google Maps satellite view now has the 2017 imagery that previously only Google Earth had. But when that imagery comes out, Earth always gets it first. So soon after, clicking the "Historical Imagery" button won't show the newest imagery as an option on the slider (exiting historical view being the only way to return to the new imagery).
Thanks for confirming. I'll download Earth App for iOS.

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 16, 2017, 04:17:54 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 16, 2017, 12:10:02 AM

As long as the Earth app has a way to disable 3D imagery (which I'm not sure it does). My area is covered with 3D imagery, so without a layer toggle that allows me to disable that overlay, I have to use the actual Google Maps app to view satellite imagery (which usually updates not long after Earth).

If only I could change my vote to "Not quite terrible, but still worse" instead of "I am indifferent"...

Google Maps in mid 2016 when I joined here was tolerable, but now it's becoming increasingly pathetic and unusable.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

jakeroot

An issue mentioned up-thread about Street View automatically throwing you into 3D imagery mode has been fixed. You can only enter Street View via the scroll-wheel when in 3D mode, and you may only exit Street View using the scroll-wheel if you were previously viewing 3D imagery.

An issue that I've been having lately is 3D imagery that doesn't completely render. I'll click over to satellite imagery, the 3D imagery will briefly render (just enough to get an idea of where land and water are), but it stops loading just after. I can exit 3D mode, but it gets really laggy. A window refresh fixes the problem.

Quote from: 20160805 on October 16, 2017, 05:42:50 PM
If only I could change my vote to "Not quite terrible, but still worse" instead of "I am indifferent"...

Google Maps in mid 2016 when I joined here was tolerable, but now it's becoming increasingly pathetic and unusable.

At least on my end, things have been improving. There's still the odd bug or graphical error (and there probably always will be), but it's far from "unusable" or "pathetic".

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on October 16, 2017, 04:37:50 PM

As long as the Earth app has a way to disable 3D imagery (which I'm not sure it does). My area is covered with 3D imagery, so without a layer toggle that allows me to disable that overlay, I have to use the actual Google Maps app to view satellite imagery (which usually updates not long after Earth).

Dunno if the mobile apps do, but I can confirm the desktop program does.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 16, 2017, 08:41:43 PM

Desktop definitely does. It's a feature I use all the time. But Earth on mobile phones lacks many of the features of the desktop app, including such things as historical imagery.

After looking at my phone, I can confirm that only the desktop app allows users to disable the 3D imagery. On mobile, 3D imagery is the only viewable map type, at least in areas with 3D imagery. Outside of those areas, normal satellite view is used.

davewiecking

Quote from: jakeroot on October 16, 2017, 09:07:47 PM

Desktop definitely does. It's a feature I use all the time. But Earth on mobile phones lacks many of the features of the desktop app, including such things as historical imagery.

After looking at my phone, I can confirm that only the desktop app allows users to disable the 3D imagery. On mobile, 3D imagery is the only viewable map type, at least in areas with 3D imagery. Outside of those areas, normal satellite view is used.
I don't know about on a phone, but on my iPad I just touch the little "3D" "button" at the lower left, and Google Earth switches to 2D mode (switching to a different angle, with an annoying, constantly, slowly rotating view). (The "3D" button is only visible if I've zoomed in a bit-it shows up if I've zoomed in to see half of the US, for example.) I've pretty much stopped using GE on the iPad in the past few months, and have switched to Google Maps if I want to research something.

jakeroot

Quote from: davewiecking on October 17, 2017, 12:03:19 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 16, 2017, 09:07:47 PM

I don't know about on a phone, but on my iPad I just touch the little "3D" "button" at the lower left, and Google Earth switches to 2D mode (switching to a different angle, with an annoying, constantly, slowly rotating view). (The "3D" button is only visible if I've zoomed in a bit-it shows up if I've zoomed in to see half of the US, for example.) I've pretty much stopped using GE on the iPad in the past few months, and have switched to Google Maps if I want to research something.

I'm not even sure what the hell that button is supposed to do. You can click it, and it'll rotate the view as you mentioned. And it will get the camera pointing straight up again (if you've accidentally tilted the view). But that's about it. Certainly not what I wish it would do: disable 3D imagery.

FWIW, I think the Earth app and the Maps app (both from Google) receive the same satellite imagery data (only Earth on the desktop gets it first). If that is indeed the case, you're better off using the Google Maps app if you don't want to bother with 3D imagery (not a feature on Google Maps for Android/iOS, so Earth isn't completely redundant).

kurumi

I've been sleeping on Stafford apparently. Where in town is that beach?

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kurumi on October 17, 2017, 01:16:55 AM
I've been sleeping on Stafford apparently. Where in town is that beach?

Reminds me of how Huntsville, AL used a picture of Chattanooga, TN for a while on Google Maps. :banghead:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.