News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2019, 12:48:23 PM
Another interesting thing I've noticed: when I open Google Maps at home, either logged in or in incognito, it defaults to the Rochester area, same view as I would expect if I was staying at with my parents.  I checked the location of my IP address and it is showing a location around Albany as I would expect, so I don't know what's going on.  This affects Google News too - my "local" news is now coming from Rochester and not the Capital District.

Even after clearing your cache, cookies, history, etc?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2019, 12:48:23 PMAnother interesting thing I've noticed: when I open Google Maps at home, either logged in or in incognito, it defaults to the Rochester area, same view as I would expect if I was staying at with my parents.  I checked the location of my IP address and it is showing a location around Albany as I would expect, so I don't know what's going on.  This affects Google News too - my "local" news is now coming from Rochester and not the Capital District.

I suspect they are using browser fingerprinting.  The last time I ran a fingerprinting test, I found my browser (or, to be more precise, the combination of browser, graphics adapter, etc.) produced an unique hash through a screen drawing test.  There is no way to prevent such tests from being run without disabling JavaScript, and that is uncommon enough to be itself useful for fingerprinting.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 04, 2019, 01:53:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2019, 12:48:23 PMAnother interesting thing I've noticed: when I open Google Maps at home, either logged in or in incognito, it defaults to the Rochester area, same view as I would expect if I was staying at with my parents.  I checked the location of my IP address and it is showing a location around Albany as I would expect, so I don't know what's going on.  This affects Google News too - my "local" news is now coming from Rochester and not the Capital District.

I suspect they are using browser fingerprinting.  The last time I ran a fingerprinting test, I found my browser (or, to be more precise, the combination of browser, graphics adapter, etc.) produced an unique hash through a screen drawing test.  There is no way to prevent such tests from being run without disabling JavaScript, and that is uncommon enough to be itself useful for fingerprinting.
Except I was using my former Chromebook while traveling, and this is my desktop.  And what would be the point of doing this?  If I'm traveling, I like how the default location changes.  I don't want it to be fixed to a set location no matter where I am.

I can try clearing my cache, but I don't clear cookies because I don't want to lose my auto-logins.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

stormwatch7721

Microsoft Edge crashes after a few minutes of lurking on GSV.

ozarkman417

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on December 04, 2019, 08:02:08 PM
Microsoft Edge crashes after a few minutes of lurking on GSV.
Why would you even want to use Microsoft Edge in the First place?

I once forgot to sign out of my Google account on a family member's phone when they left town, and then I get shown a bunch a crap from the city they left to and my map is centered on their location on launch despite the fact I am signed in & looking at the map from my own computer and/or phone.

stormwatch7721

It's my favorite browser, Okay?! It just that GSV crashes after a few minutes of lurking.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 04, 2019, 04:58:35 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2019, 04:31:14 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 04, 2019, 03:18:34 AM
I'm always logged in and globe view is now disabled for me (though it was easily re-enabled with a single click, since there was a button for it).
Disabled? As in not able to be enabled? That's definitely strange.
Disabled, as in not enabled. As I said, I only had to click one button to turn it back on.

You should have said "was disabled" not "is now disabled" (or at the very least wrote "by default" immediately following). That seems to imply that it's disabled right now. That's not how you meant it, but that's how I read it.

For the record, I tried again today and my browser still defaults to globe view. Which is fine by me.

J N Winkler

Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2019, 01:58:49 PMExcept I was using my former Chromebook while traveling, and this is my desktop.

This definitely sounds like a situation in which browser fingerprinting is involved, since you say the incorrect location is given in both regular and incognito mode.  Here is what I think is going on:

*  Google fingerprints the browser on your Chromebook while you are in Rochester.

*  Back in Albany, Google detects the Chromebook, recognizes the fingerprint, and concludes all browsers connecting through the same "pipe" have a location of Rochester.  This location attribution persists across both normal and incognito mode because it is based on fingerprinting the other devices' browsers.

Fingerprinting works regardless of whether you are in incognito mode--in other words, incognito is not really incognito.

Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2019, 01:58:49 PMAnd what would be the point of doing this?  If I'm traveling, I like how the default location changes.  I don't want it to be fixed to a set location no matter where I am.

It could be a bug or future anti-feature.  I view it in the same light as (e.g.) AI software consistently misidentifying black people as chimpanzees, or Google Calendar permanently storing the wrong date for a friend's birthday because Gmail sees that I sent him an email to wish him a happy birthday and does not see that I sent it the day before the actual birthday.

Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2019, 01:58:49 PMI can try clearing my cache, but I don't clear cookies because I don't want to lose my auto-logins.

I wouldn't either.  And clearing cookies wouldn't work if browser fingerprinting is driving this.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Similarly...  If I check the weather forecast on the Weather Underground website from my phone while travelling, it takes a few weeks upon returning home for my phone to figure out that I want Wichita to once again be my default location rather than the place I was only in for like ten minutes.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 04, 2019, 11:42:10 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2019, 01:58:49 PMExcept I was using my former Chromebook while traveling, and this is my desktop.

This definitely sounds like a situation in which browser fingerprinting is involved, since you say the incorrect location is given in both regular and incognito mode.  Here is what I think is going on:

*  Google fingerprints the browser on your Chromebook while you are in Rochester.

*  Back in Albany, Google detects the Chromebook, recognizes the fingerprint, and concludes all browsers connecting through the same "pipe" have a location of Rochester.  This location attribution persists across both normal and incognito mode because it is based on fingerprinting the other devices' browsers.

Fingerprinting works regardless of whether you are in incognito mode--in other words, incognito is not really incognito.
That would be one heck of a fingerprint, because I don't think the "Chromebook" (in actuality, Chrome OS hit end of life over a year ago and I replaced it with Linux) has actually had Chrome launch in Albany in who knows how long.  I do connect it to the network periodically for updates, but not since I traveled.  And since it's only used while traveling, it would have pings from all over (although Rochester most prominently).  Granted, it's a pretty close software mirror of my desktop (although it doesn't have everything the desktop does), and both browsers are signed in to Google to sync bookmarks (and I think Google stealth added a bunch of other sync things without my approval), but still.  I'll have to check Firefox.  In any case, would there be a way to purge this location info from my profile?  I sent feedback to Google, but they'll probably ignore it as usual.

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2019, 12:00:02 PM
Similarly...  If I check the weather forecast on the Weather Underground website from my phone while travelling, it takes a few weeks upon returning home for my phone to figure out that I want Wichita to once again be my default location rather than the place I was only in for like ten minutes.
My phone app seems to work OK - I have the location set to "use current location from GPS".  Alas, the widget stopped working with it so I now need to explicitly open the app for more than radar.  On my computer I actually have one of my start pages set to the Weather Underground forecast for Albany.  If I'm in Rochester, I just switch to the bookmark I have set.  Elsewhere, I have to search... I used to be able to do this from the address bar via a custom search engine, but Weather Underground removed the ability to do that it seems.  Now I have to use their own search bar, which is much less convenient for trip planning.

Stuff like this is why I want to be in control of the computer, not have it assume it knows what I want, because it invariably will get it wrong.  I don't understand why tech companies keep insisting on having software assume things and taking away options for user convenience and control.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on December 05, 2019, 12:52:27 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2019, 12:00:02 PM

My phone app seems to work OK - I have the location set to "use current location from GPS".  Alas, the widget stopped working with it so I now need to explicitly open the app for more than radar.  On my computer I actually have one of my start pages set to the Weather Underground forecast for Albany.  If I'm in Rochester, I just switch to the bookmark I have set.  Elsewhere, I have to search... I used to be able to do this from the address bar via a custom search engine, but Weather Underground removed the ability to do that it seems.  Now I have to use their own search bar, which is much less convenient for trip planning.

Stuff like this is why I want to be in control of the computer, not have it assume it knows what I want, because it invariably will get it wrong.  I don't understand why tech companies keep insisting on having software assume things and taking away options for user convenience and control.

I don't use the WU app.  Rather, I go to the mobile version of their website and search by city name.  I also have location turned off on my phone.  After a while of searching for Wichita on the site, it eventually learns to go to the Wichita forecast by default.  Then, when I go on a trip, I'll search for that other location just one time.  Then, when I get back to Wichita, the site defaults to that other location for like two or three weeks, and I have to search for Wichita every time.  I don't understand why it remembers the travel location after only one search, but then it can't learn my home location until a dozen searches later.
Male pronouns, please.

freebrickproductions

One thing I've noticed recently is that it seems like when you go into street view, you can't view the image date unless you click the button to view past images.

Seems rather dumb.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 08, 2019, 01:20:05 AM
One thing I've noticed recently is that it seems like when you go into street view, you can't view the image date unless you click the button to view past images.

Seems rather dumb.

I just started noticing this about 48 hours ago. Gotta be a bug. It makes no sense.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jakeroot on December 08, 2019, 03:33:20 AM

Seems rather dumb.

I just started noticing this about 48 hours ago. Gotta be a bug. It makes no sense.

The date still appears all the time in the bottom strip near the right. I don't remember if that was there before or not. Still annoying, though, since I still look first at the button.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 08, 2019, 09:54:03 AM

Seems rather dumb.

The date still appears all the time in the bottom strip near the right. I don't remember if that was there before or not. Still annoying, though, since I still look first at the button.

It was there before. (I still have a window open from before the change.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

mgk920

For at least a month now, when I turn the 'labels' off on the aerial/satellite images, the logos of various sponsored locations are still there, something that is über-annoying and makes it pretty much useless if you are taking screenshots for whatever reason.

:angry:

Mike

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1 on December 08, 2019, 10:51:31 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on December 08, 2019, 09:54:03 AM

Seems rather dumb.

It was there before. (I still have a window open from before the change.)

I also just noticed it. As long as we can see imagery data somewhere, I don't mind. However knowing Google, I feel like it's a matter of time before they remove that too, since of course all modern tech companies hate users actually being able to see data and information.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

bandit957

I noticed Google Street View just removed the dates of the photos. Why? Because they can.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadsguy

Quote from: bandit957 on December 09, 2019, 10:49:36 AM
I noticed Google Street View just removed the dates of the photos. Why? Because they can.

Still near the bottom-right as it's always been, but I agree it's annoying.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

D-Dey65

Recently, I was able to tag an extra parking lot at Sunken Meadow State Park, correct the name of one other parking lot there, and correct the location for George's Lighthouse Café at Montauk Point State Park, but I still can't correct the waterways that are mismarked as part of the Peconic River.

D-Dey65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 23, 2019, 10:19:25 PM
Recently, I was able to tag an extra parking lot at Sunken Meadow State Park, correct the name of one other parking lot there, and correct the location for George's Lighthouse Café at Montauk Point State Park, but I still can't correct the waterways that are mismarked as part of the Peconic River.
Unfortunately, the correction I made for Parking Lot Number 3 at Sunken Meadow State Park was reverted!

:confused: :angry:

ErmineNotyours

I just noticed that Acme Maps has dropped USGS topo maps from their service.  I can get them from other places, but I can't so easily switch between a topo and satellite view.

empirestate

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 28, 2020, 06:20:30 PM
I just noticed that Acme Maps has dropped USGS topo maps from their service.  I can get them from other places, but I can't so easily switch between a topo and satellite view.

You can do that on Topoview, but not at such close resolution.

MikeTheActuary

TheGrassGuy

Anyone else hear notice that satellite imagery on Google Maps is lower res these days?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.