News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

CNGL-Leudimin

Same for me, no noticeable change in speed. However I check for the labels being gone after coming out of Street View.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vdeane

I'm on Chrome/Linux, but I also wonder if the issue might be geographic, given that both of us who have it are in east coast states.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

I-55

Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

jakeroot

Quote from: I-55 on January 02, 2021, 04:48:47 PM
I-169 has returned (again). 99 percent sure it still isn't signed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9882045,-87.5978495,59535m/data=!3m1!1e3

I feel like this might be acceptable. It is legally I-169 and there are "Future I-169" signs along the route. But most importantly, Google still shows it as "Pennyrile Pkwy" which is all that would normally be shown. So they're jumping the gun ahead of KYTC by actually showing the 169 shield, but it's not like a huge mistake.

Then again, if there are still things that need to be upgraded before showing I-169 on signage (perhaps that interchange with the Hopkinsville ring road?), then it may be wise to hide the shield until those upgrades are done.

CoreySamson

Yeah Google does jump the gun with new interstates. I-69 has existed in Memphis for a while now according to Google:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1006492,-90.0333052,13z
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

TheGrassGuy

When I exit street view on Google Chrome, the road labels disappear unless you zoom in close.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 05, 2021, 09:10:34 AM
When I exit street view on Google Chrome, the road labels disappear unless you zoom in close.

Or out.

Really frustrating.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bm7

Does anyone else have this problem? In Chrome, go into street view anywhere, look up towards the sky and zoom in any amount, then exit street view. For me this crashes the tab with an out of memory error every single time.

jakeroot

Quote from: bm7 on January 16, 2021, 08:31:34 AM
Does anyone else have this problem? In Chrome, go into street view anywhere, look up towards the sky and zoom in any amount, then exit street view. For me this crashes the tab with an out of memory error every single time.

I wasn't able to repeat this. I tried Chrome and Edge.

I think this has since been fixed. I did notice this issue myself for a while.

vdeane

I didn't crash to the point where it would give the "Aw, Snap" error, but it did freeze on black when I tried it and I had to refresh the page.  The URL had the coordinates set to NaN (not a number), so I'm guessing it confuses Google Maps about where you are.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheStranger

Two weeks after it opened to traffic, and over a year and a half after the first segment to Manila was completed, the Skyway Stage 3 still does not appear at all in Google Maps except as under-construction segments.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Quezon+City,+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/@14.6839253,120.9921501,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397ba0942ef7375:0x4a9a32d9fe083d40!8m2!3d14.6760413!4d121.0437003

In comparison, OpenStreetMap has had the new expressway on its maps for months, even when the portion north of Manila had been finished but not opened yet.  One can even use OSM to get directions to places where the Skyway is suggested as a route.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/106569
Chris Sampang

US 89

Quote from: vdeane on January 16, 2021, 09:28:45 PM
I didn't crash to the point where it would give the "Aw, Snap" error, but it did freeze on black when I tried it and I had to refresh the page.  The URL had the coordinates set to NaN (not a number), so I'm guessing it confuses Google Maps about where you are.

This happens probably every 4th or 5th time I exit street view. Annoys the hell out of me.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on January 16, 2021, 02:07:44 PM

It's not fixed on my end, at least.  I still have the issue.

Quote from: vdeane on January 16, 2021, 09:28:45 PM

And I generally try to avoid doing things that are expected to "crash" anything on my computer.  Call me crazy, but I don't sniff people's fingers when they say too, either!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2021, 10:33:08 AM

I just started noticing it again since my post. I think I jinxed myself.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: TheStranger on January 16, 2021, 09:31:03 PM
Two weeks after it opened to traffic, and over a year and a half after the first segment to Manila was completed, the Skyway Stage 3 still does not appear at all in Google Maps except as under-construction segments.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Quezon+City,+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/@14.6839253,120.9921501,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397ba0942ef7375:0x4a9a32d9fe083d40!8m2!3d14.6760413!4d121.0437003

In comparison, OpenStreetMap has had the new expressway on its maps for months, even when the portion north of Manila had been finished but not opened yet.  One can even use OSM to get directions to places where the Skyway is suggested as a route.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/106569

(laughs in China) :) :) :)

vdeane

Heck, Google still doesn't have the easternmost part of A-410 marked properly.  They put the mainline in, but none of the new ramps are shown.

Caps81943

Quote from: jakeroot on January 19, 2021, 02:08:57 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2021, 10:33:08 AM

I just started noticing it again since my post. I think I jinxed myself.

Yeah I think the issue's back. Hopefully it doesn't take as long to fix this time.

vdeane

Back?  It never left for me, even if it did go from happening all the time to happening a good chunk of the time.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: vdeane on January 20, 2021, 08:21:19 PM
Back?  It never left for me, even if it did go from happening all the time to happening a good chunk of the time.

Yeah, same :-(

TheStranger

I actually mentioned it earlier (Google Maps not showing any of Skyway Stage 3 even though the mainline is now fully open from Buendia Avenue in Makati to NLEX in Balintawak) and this played out in real life for someone attempting to use Google Maps to navigate around Makati:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/metro-manila-skyway.1492516/post-171663482
Chris Sampang

jakeroot

How many of you guys have seen the updated base map that is shown in a couple cities? Right now, I can see it in the original three cities mentioned by Google last year (San Francisco, New York, London) but no other so far. I only just got the update. Basically, far more detailed, showing very exact road widths, crosswalk locations, medians, etc.

Right away? Far more Japanese like than I originally expected. If I recall correctly, Google bought the company that originally made maps like this for the Japanese market; this must be their way of finally carrying that technology over.

Scott5114

I can see it. Looks good, but I don't ever need maps of SF or NYC, so it's not much use to me at the moment.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

briantroutman

I've done some brief peeking around New York on the Google Maps iOS app, and I must say that I'm less than impressed with the new imagery.

While crosswalks seem to be fairly consistently represented–in my brief searches–the "exact"  street geometry appears to be far from that. Sidewalks appear and disappear in a manner that's not consistent with the ground reality. Features such as medians and sidewalks have gashes cut into them for no apparent reason–again, not reflective of reality.

For those of you familiar with Adobe Illustrator: It's like they did and auto-trace of satellite images. Some features are outlined well, and others are horribly botched and for no apparent reason. 

jakeroot

Quote from: briantroutman on January 30, 2021, 09:23:07 PM
For those of you familiar with Adobe Illustrator: It's like they did and auto-trace of satellite images. Some features are outlined well, and others are horribly botched and for no apparent reason.

If it was as easy as tracing satellite imagery, I'm sure we'd have a lot more than three cities.

Whatever the technology: there's going to be growing pains, including occasional inaccuracies. If the issues persist for another five years...well, Google needs to get their shit together by that point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.