News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

wxfree

The mobile application has offline maps available, which I like, since I see no reason to use mobile data to load maps when I save them with my home connection.  I have a very inexpensive data plan, because I have a very good connection at home, so even though I always have more than I need, I try not to waste mobile data.  The maps expire, which is reasonable, since Google doesn't want people complaining about the low accuracy of maps that are 15 years old.  Previously, they expired every 30 days, which isn't a problem for me, except that the automatic update feature only worked on maps that I used with whatever frequency Google considered to be adequate.  I might expect a map to be there, but since I hadn't used it in several months, Google thought it was too unimportant to update, even though I told it to keep it updated.

Now the maps expire after a year, which is much more reasonable.  Except that the maps now disappear well before expiring.  I have no idea why.  After much less than a year, the area of maps I downloaded is no longer available.  Originally I had a huge area of maps selected to have available at all times.  That didn't work since I usually don't use the program and it wouldn't automatically update maps I didn't use.  But I could just update all of them every month, and that worked, for a while.  Now the maps have an expiration date of one year after downloading, but the actual time when they disappear is unknown, so I can't count on it at all.  Now I just try to remember to update any map I may want on the day I want it.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

ErmineNotyours

I tried that unofficially before a trip to Mt. Rainier.  National Parks are notoriously bad about not allowing cell towers, so I visited some trails by Paradise on my mobile at home before heading there in person.  Strangely, a half mile away from the tourist facilities, I was getting enough of a signal for location services to locate me on the map.  I left Timeline on, but the rest of the trip east of Paradise was just a dashed line the rest of the way to Ohanapecosh.

US 89

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on June 30, 2021, 11:54:28 PM
Strangely, a half mile away from the tourist facilities, I was getting enough of a signal for location services to locate me on the map.

I don't think you need cell signal for GPS functionality to work. If I'm out in the sticks with no service, my GPS app will give me accurate lat/lon and elevation, and the little blue "current location" dot will still appear on Google Maps... but the map tiles won't load.

DeaconG

Quote from: US 89 on July 01, 2021, 11:22:13 AM
Strangely, a half mile away from the tourist facilities, I was getting enough of a signal for location services to locate me on the map.

I don't think you need cell signal for GPS functionality to work. If I'm out in the sticks with no service, my GPS app will give me accurate lat/lon and elevation, and the little blue "current location" dot will still appear on Google Maps... but the map tiles won't load.

As long as those GPS sats stay in Clarke orbit (and the US military doesn't get cute), and youre outside, you'll get a signal.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: US 89 on July 01, 2021, 11:22:13 AM

I'm pretty sure my device doesn't have real GPS, but triangulates its location from known cell towers and hot spots.  Which is fine, since you need to have your own carrier's signal or wi-fi for it to actually draw the maps.

kkt

I tried that unofficially before a trip to Mt. Rainier.  National Parks are notoriously bad about not allowing cell towers, so I visited some trails by Paradise on my mobile at home before heading there in person.  Strangely, a half mile away from the tourist facilities, I was getting enough of a signal for location services to locate me on the map.  I left Timeline on, but the rest of the trip east of Paradise was just a dashed line the rest of the way to Ohanapecosh.

A couple of years ago, Mt. Rainier National Park discovered there was a lot of room in the attic of the new visitor center - enough that cell phone antennas could be installed without being visible.  After a period of consideration of how that would change the visitor experience, they decided to go ahead and install the antennas.  I think it's probably a good thing overall.  Being able to get a signal could help someone in trouble get help before it turned into a disaster.  Also the people staying at the Inn will appreciate being able to make calls from their rooms instead of walking to the "telephone room" off the lobby.

TheGrassGuy

Re: street view on restricted access/private roads, a small section of Normandy Rd in Middletown, NJ still has street view.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

sprjus4

Anyone else have this issue with Google Street View not loading properly?

jakeroot

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 03, 2021, 01:14:19 PM

I've had issues trying to drop the peg-man, and having it get all laggy. I have to reload the page.

sprjus4

Quote from: jakeroot on July 03, 2021, 02:25:26 PM

I've had issues trying to drop the peg-man, and having it get all laggy. I have to reload the page.
Same here for the past couple days, usually have to reload 2-3 times to get it to respond. Quite annoying.

Rothman

Heck, just getting Google Maps to load without causing my phone to go to sleep is now evidently a challenge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

I've been having issues with the mini-map in street view often not loading.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on July 03, 2021, 09:01:20 PM

I have also noticed this.

Roadgeekteen

Google maps is prone to freeze occasionally.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

Same. Google Maps has just gotten slower and slower with more and more issues. :sleep:

vdeane

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 03, 2021, 09:51:48 PM
Same. Google Maps has just gotten slower and slower with more and more issues. :sleep:
It doesn't even run properly on my work computer anymore.  I have to reload the page every couple minutes due to freezes.  Since it's only the work computer and desktop applications still render as well as ever, though, part of me wonders if it's everyone remoting in to their machines due to work from home choking off the network bandwidth.  I guess I'll find out next week, when everyone's back in the office three days per week (instead of the one day per week we're at now, especially since I anticipate almost everyone being in the office Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jakeroot on July 03, 2021, 02:25:26 PM

The same thing is happening to me. It's driving me crazy. It's slightly better on Chrome, but on Firefox, it is frustratingly slow.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

TheGrassGuy

PA-579 and I-840 construction only show up without Globe View.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on July 14, 2021, 11:30:33 AM
PA-579 and I-840 construction only show up without Globe View.

Different views having different satellite imagery isn't anything new, is it?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jamess

Having a lot of issues with streetview.

I grab the little man, the roads turn blue, and then it doesnt matter where I click, nothing happens

Roadgeekteen

Google My Maps does not have street view, which is annoying.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Quote from: jamess on July 15, 2021, 04:07:39 PM
Having a lot of issues with streetview.

I grab the little man, the roads turn blue, and then it doesnt matter where I click, nothing happens

I've had that issue the past few weeks as well. Not all the time, but intermittently.

1995hoo

The "Street View won't open" thing has been happening to me as well.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ozarkman417

It works for me, though I have to wait about 20 seconds after I release my left mouse button over the road I want to view for it to enter Street View.

jakeroot

I have been having excellent luck with refreshing. Fixes every single issue ... until it eventually reoccurs shortly thereafter :-P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.