News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Working okay for me at the moment.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on August 19, 2021, 06:25:01 PM
Working okay for me at the moment.

Driving directions?

Still broken for me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

But...now it works.  That's too bad.  I wanted chaos.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on August 19, 2021, 06:48:21 PM
But...now it works.  That's too bad.  I wanted chaos.

Now slow but functional for me as well.

I think there's more than enough chaos without Google Maps down.  :meh: :coffee:

sprjus4

It was broken earlier for me as well... but as been said recently, it works now.

vdeane

Google appears to have removed the display of points when using the measure tool.  This makes it impossible to move or remove points, severely reducing the functionality of the tool.  WTF, Google?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on August 21, 2021, 04:56:40 PM
Google appears to have removed the display of points when using the measure tool.  This makes it impossible to move or remove points, severely reducing the functionality of the tool.  WTF, Google?

100% chance that's a bug.

SectorZ

So I don't have the points either, but (for me at least) the points appear to be there but invisible, because I can drag but not remove points. When I drag, the points appear but disappear as soon as I stop dragging. I can right click and clear the measurement completely but not remove a specific point.

I-55

Quote from: SectorZ on August 21, 2021, 09:27:37 PM

So I don't have the points either, but (for me at least) the points appear to be there but invisible, because I can drag but not remove points. When I drag, the points appear but disappear as soon as I stop dragging. I can right click and clear the measurement completely but not remove a specific point.

I just tried and had no issues.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

vdeane

Are you sure you're actually dragging the existing points and not just adding new ones?  I tried to drag the existing ones with how it's displayed, but couldn't figure out how.  I just kept getting new ones.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

I-55

Quote from: vdeane on August 21, 2021, 10:42:41 PM

Are you sure you're actually dragging the existing points and not just adding new ones?  I tried to drag the existing ones with how it's displayed, but couldn't figure out how.  I just kept getting new ones.

Yeah I can still drag. Odd how I'm not having issues with it.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on August 09, 2021, 05:42:09 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 26, 2021, 10:50:05 AM
(Meta) I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but can we please change the title of thread to remove the unnecessary profanity? I don't like constantly seeing this thread with its title in my feed. It doesn't need to be there. It just makes other people ask what kind of website I'm on.
+1

Not against the forum rules, so there's no justification for a mod to change it, and the OP is no longer active on the forum.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 22, 2021, 09:24:14 AM
Not against the forum rules, so there's no justification for a mod to change it, and the OP is no longer active on the forum.

So he wouldn't be around to object if it were changed without a specific rules-based justification?   ;-)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 23, 2021, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 22, 2021, 09:24:14 AM

So he wouldn't be around to object if it were changed without a specific rules-based justification?   ;-)

Kind of what I was thinking as well...

If enough of us object to the title, maybe we should just start a new thread.

kphoger

...with the word 'bleeping' in there instead.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Plutonic Panda

I support keeping the thread title the way it is. In fact, fuck.

Edit: I know it's not something to scream at a high function or a job interview but I will never understand why some people get so worked up over four letter Anglo Saxon words. It's hilarious but frustrating at the same time. Lord knows it's gotten me in trouble more than once. I guess I ought to just conform and wash my mouth with some soap. Maybe that'll do it.

kphoger

Meanwhile, I don't get how some people can't understand that some language is socially inappropriate in mixed company.

Obviously, some words convey more coarse, boorish intensity than others:  I mean, that's half the reason our language has so many synonyms to begin with, isn't it?  The most timid of language is most appropriate to use in all contexts.  Some other, stronger language might be appropriate between co-workers at a staff meeting but not around children at a daycare.  And other, more vulgar language simply shouldn't be used publicly except quite judiciously under extreme circumstances.

Saying "it's just a word" completely ignores the function that language serves in culture.  Sure, I get it that sometimes language like 'just fucking sucks' or 'total and absolute shit' conveys just the force of emotion that you intend to convey–but that doesn't necessarily mean it's appropriate to use in a public setting.
Male pronouns, please.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on August 23, 2021, 06:52:57 PM
Meanwhile, I don't get how some people can't understand that some language is socially inappropriate in mixed company.

Obviously, some words convey more coarse, boorish intensity than others:  I mean, that's half the reason our language has so many synonyms to begin with, isn't it?  The most timid of language is most appropriate to use in all contexts.  Some other, stronger language might be appropriate between co-workers at a staff meeting but not around children at a daycare.  And other, more vulgar language simply shouldn't be used publicly except quite judiciously under extreme circumstances.

Saying "it's just a word" completely ignores the function that language serves in culture.  Sure, I get it that sometimes language like 'just fucking sucks' or 'total and absolute shit' conveys just the force of emotion that you intend to convey–but that doesn't necessarily mean it's appropriate to use in a public setting.
I suppose when a perfectly valid and rather great point is made about something and the person listening would rather become irate if profanity was used is perplexing to me. Let's have a rocket scientist explain why we need to go to Mars and expand our species but get made he said the f word when discussing why he is annoyed with those that say "we need to feed the children first."

You know the terms and conditions on this website. Don't like the profanity then leave. At least I'm told that in the opposition direction when I left Jim's group on Facebook for saying the word "shit." Of course I am always open to a public and civil discussion on it. To me it is just a word and we as a species need to move and evolve over getting mad at words like fuck or thinking they are only appropriate in certain situations.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 23, 2021, 06:58:11 PM
You know the terms and conditions on this website. Don't like the profanity then leave.

Huh?  Something can be inappropriate but not against the rules.

It's kind of like if my son were reading online articles for homework and the author had decided some profanity or raunchy similes would make his article more punchy.  Yeah, such might not be against the terms and rules of the publication, but it's still in bad taste.

Do keep in mind that it's not always only the intended audience who sees things you type.  Those of us with kids at home sometimes browse the forum at home, and our kids can walk by and read what you type.  Those of us who get on the forum at work might have a co-worker or boss read the open tab when coming over to our desk to talk about something.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

I support changing the title. While it's not as bad as the three swear words on this forum that actually get censored (four if you count two variants of the same word), or the one in the thread that had to be retitled recently, it's still bad, and it stays in your browser history.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on August 23, 2021, 07:11:10 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 23, 2021, 06:58:11 PM
You know the terms and conditions on this website. Don't like the profanity then leave.

Huh?  Something can be inappropriate but not against the rules.
I was more or less referring to how it usually goes when someone uses profanity in a forum or group when the rules clearly state you aren't supposed to. I am part of tons of Facebook groups so I don't go through every rule and apparently in FreewayJim group you aren't supposed to use profanity. I used one profanity word(shit) in a post of nearly 1000 characters and wasn't given a chance to correct it just had it deleted and told not to use profanity which prompted me to post about it. Jim decided to leave that one up(which contained profanity yet again which told me what I needed to know about him) and was dog piled with comments like "don't like it leave," which I did.

If you got kids at home seeing a thread title with the word fuck and are worried it'll influence them to use it, I feel sorry for you. If your kid is actually one that doesn't use profanity behind your back then what is the worry? I fail to see the issue.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 23, 2021, 07:18:26 PM
I was more or less referring to how it usually goes when someone uses profanity in a forum or group when the rules clearly state you aren't supposed to. I am part of tons of Facebook groups so I don't go through every rule and apparently in FreewayJim group you aren't supposed to use profanity.

Why wouldn't you just assume that a group disallows it?  That seems more commonsense to me.  I mean, I would assume that.  Until I saw other members using such language, that is.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 23, 2021, 07:18:26 PM
If you got kids at home seeing a thread title with the word fuck and are worried it'll influence them to use it, I feel sorry for you. If your kid is actually one that doesn't use profanity behind your back then what is the worry? I fail to see the issue.

Do you have kids?  I try to teach my sons how to speak respectfully and appropriately.  The more casual profanity they hear or read, the more it is reinforced to them that it's acceptable to use that language.  That's how people learn language, after all:  picking up on what everyone else is doing.

Personally, foul language isn't something that has really come up in our family.  I recently overheard my youngest son use a swear word (he's six), but I didn't give him the benefit of a reaction, so nothing came of it.  But my point is that my wife and I like to be able to choose what they see and hear and read at different points in their development (sex scenes in a movie? foul language in a Netflix show? drug use? etc, etc), and I'm sure we're not alone.
Male pronouns, please.

Plutonic Panda

I don't have kids.

But I don't assume really assume it's appropriate to use foul language anywhere especially in front of women and children just that I think it's ridiculous for others to get angry at those who do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.