News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on August 23, 2021, 07:12:48 PM
I support changing the title. While it's not as bad as the three swear words on this forum that actually get censored (four if you count two variants of the same word), or the one in the thread that had to be retitled recently, it's still bad, and it stays in your browser history.

Unless you're using the forum on a work computer, why does this matter?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

We have no rules against profanity on this forum, by the consensus of the staff. We aren't going to enforce any rules against profanity on this forum. If you're concerned about someone seeing a word on your screen and judging you about it, either stop hanging out around assholes that look on your screen without your permission, or install a browser extension that filters it on your end.

I used to have a coworker that would always very obviously look at whatever was on your screen when she entered the room. I got in the habit of either hitting Win+D to minimize all windows whenever she approached, or alt-tabbing to a text file discussing goings-on in Quindaro, in the hopes of setting up a dilemma where she would either ask what the hell I was writing about and tip off that she was spying on me, or have to wonder exactly who she was trapped in the same room with for the next nine hours.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 23, 2021, 09:35:03 PM
hitting Win+D to minimize all windows

Wow, thanks for the tip. I honestly can't believe I've made it this far in life without knowing this was a thing!

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2021, 09:58:41 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 23, 2021, 09:35:03 PM
hitting Win+D to minimize all windows

Wow, thanks for the tip. I honestly can't believe I've made it this far in life without knowing this was a thing!

Another useful one is Win+L, which locks the desktop, and Win+R, which brings up the Run dialog (useful for quickly running system utilities like charmap).

vdeane

Looks like the change to the measurement tool is intentional and likely won't be fixed: https://support.google.com/maps/thread/122238475/why-can-i-not-drag-points-on-the-measure-distance-feature?hl=en

It would seem that it's time to find another place to measure distances on maps.  Earth doesn't display intermediate distances (a problem when I'm trying to location tag photos on my site), and other sites vary between similar and not having such a tool at all.  Right now the best bet would appear to be Yandex, but it's optimized for Europe and can't be set for miles - only km, requiring conversion for all measurements.  It also doesn't display the distances on the line, but one can get the distance to any intermediate point, so you can just put a point where you want it.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 23, 2021, 08:01:18 PM
I support changing the title. While it's not as bad as the three swear words on this forum that actually get censored (four if you count two variants of the same word), or the one in the thread that had to be retitled recently, it's still bad, and it stays in your browser history.

For the record, some people do in fact browse this forum at work during breaks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 23, 2021, 10:23:45 PM
Another useful one is Win+L, which locks the desktop

Yes, that one I did know about and use quite frequently. :D

Quote from: vdeane on August 23, 2021, 10:24:40 PM

Yes, myself included, and for that reason among others, I support shifting discussion to a new thread if the name isn't going to be changed (and notice how I've handled the title on my last several posts here).

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2021, 10:39:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 23, 2021, 10:24:40 PM

Yes, myself included, and for that reason among others, I support shifting discussion to a new thread if the name isn't going to be changed (and notice how I've handled the title on my last several posts here).

I think you and vdeane both missed my point, which is if you're concerned about getting in trouble at work for this, you shouldn't be visiting this forum during work.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2021, 10:39:43 PM

See, but that would be a duplicate thread, so my job then would be to merge that thread into this one...

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 23, 2021, 10:52:44 PM
I think you and vdeane both missed my point, which is if you're concerned about getting in trouble at work for this, you shouldn't be visiting this forum during work.

This. I also can't imagine an employer that is totally cool with you using company resources to browse websites for personal use, but only if they don't say "fuck" on them anywhere.

I-55

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 23, 2021, 11:48:07 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 23, 2021, 10:52:44 PM

This. I also can't imagine an employer that is totally cool with you using company resources to browse websites for personal use, but only if they don't say "fuck" on them anywhere.

And in the rare case that they do I'm sure you could just avoid this thread. I viewed this thread often on my school computer when I was in HS and no one gave a hoot.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

I'll try and avoid profanity here, but do use it as an intensifier here and there. So, in a way, I do appreciate the forum being more lax about the rules. But like swearing in real life, there are good and bad places to use it, and not everyone is good at it. For this thread, I don't like that it's attached to every. single. post.

Maybe the rule is "no profanity in thread subjects"?

I do find it quite difficult to imagine someone walking by a computer and being taken aback by the visibility of a swear word. Considering all of the awful things someone can say, do, and share on the internet, we really shouldn't be too alarmed by the occasional f-word.

I don't think this website is one of those places that should be avoided at the workplace, or really any other place. But like any site, it's best to keep it to yourself. If someone insists on peering over your shoulder, then they really ought to temper their reactions. It's not their business to police the websites you use, as long as the website isn't professedly forbidden by your administration or workplace.

CoreySamson

re. profanity in title:

I want to point out that the title is entirely appropriate for the original purpose of the thread, but not for its current purpose. Back when the thread was created, Google changed Maps from a good tool to a buggy, laggy mess that hardly worked. Everyone was pissed off, and justifiably so. But today the thread has become simply the Google Maps thread, talking about its quirks and complaining (but not ranting) about design changes. If someone new read the title without noticing the recent content of the thread, he or she would think that we still absolutely abhor Google Maps' interface (I'm pretty sure we don't). Just wanted to mention that.

That being said, even though I would like to see the profanity removed, overall it's not a big issue and shouldn't really be a priority for the forum to change.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Rothman

For the record, Google Maps still sucks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 26, 2021, 10:50:05 AM
(Meta) I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but can we please change the title of thread to remove the unnecessary profanity? I don't like constantly seeing this thread with its title in my feed. It doesn't need to be there. It just makes other people ask what kind of website I'm on.

I'm on board. I've edited my subject line accordingly.

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on August 24, 2021, 09:23:48 PM
(Meta) I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but can we please change the title of thread to remove the unnecessary profanity? I don't like constantly seeing this thread with its title in my feed. It doesn't need to be there. It just makes other people ask what kind of website I'm on.

For some reason when I read your version of the title (probably because "now" got bumped to another line, so I didn't see it at first), it suddenly occurred to me that the curse word could be read as a verb instead of an adverb. ...

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: empirestate on August 24, 2021, 09:23:48 PM

Thank you kind sir.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on August 23, 2021, 07:26:58 PM
Do you have kids?  I try to teach my sons how to speak respectfully and appropriately.  The more casual profanity they hear or read, the more it is reinforced to them that it's acceptable to use that language.  That's how people learn language, after all:  picking up on what everyone else is doing.

Coincidentally, I stumbled onto this earlier today. (NSFW)
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 25, 2021, 04:05:29 PM
1st Amendment Right.

I don't think anyone is suggesting government censorship.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 25, 2021, 04:05:29 PM
LOL who cares? 1st Amendment Right.

I'm shocked that you don't actually understand what the 1st Amendment means.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 25, 2021, 06:11:25 PM
As long as you are not threatening an illegal action, encouraging criminal activity, you can say whatever you want to anyone. Profanity certain isn't one of those two.

Well you are wrong. Lies aren't protected speech for instance.

And anyway none of this applies to a moderated Internet forum which is a private business and can set the rules it wants.

The 1st amendment only protects an individual against action from the federal government, and was applied to the states via the 14th amendment.

US 89

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 25, 2021, 06:11:25 PM
As long as you are not threatening an illegal action, encouraging criminal activity, you can say whatever you want to anyone. Profanity certain isn't one of those two.

Nope. I suggest you read the text of the actual amendment.

Quote from: United States Constitution, Amendment ICongress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Note underlined portion. This originally only applied to the federal government. The Supreme Court has since used the Due Process Clause in the 14th amendment to extend this, and it now applies to state and local governments and their various agencies. It does not apply to private entities.

I-55

And now after not having issues with it, I am having the measuring tool bug. Go figure.

empirestate

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 25, 2021, 06:26:23 PM
Well obviously, any individual entity can set their own speech rules but that doesn't automatically make profanity a bad thing.

Exactly. Nothing whatsoever to do with the First Amendment.

I-55

^^^^
Why did I google the second word in all caps? I have regerts.

Rothman

This thread got derailed.  Irrelevant posts to the topic of Google Maps should be deleted.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.