Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 27, 2021, 04:39:25 PM
In other news, I-42 is now complete between Morehead City and Raleigh.

It's not completely freeway though.  It's mostly freeway.  Unless google maps has not updated itself.

SkyPesos

And I-69. There was a new interchange planned for I-69 and I-465 on the south side of Indy, but I guess Google got exclusive info that INDOT did some changes here, so they rolled with it  :bigass:
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 24, 2021, 12:22:25 AM
Looks like Google Maps have I-69 labels on IN 37 between Martinsville and I-465 now even though it's incomplete  :-D

sprjus4

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 27, 2021, 05:02:30 PM

It's not completely freeway though.  It's mostly freeway.  Unless google maps has not updated itself.
It's not complete, there's still long stretches of non-freeway. But Google shows it as such, a full freeway.

sprjus4

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 27, 2021, 05:10:17 PM
And I-69. There was a new interchange planned for I-69 and I-465 on the south side of Indy, but I guess Google got exclusive info that INDOT did some changes here, so they rolled with it  :bigass:
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 24, 2021, 12:22:25 AM
Looks like Google Maps have I-69 labels on IN 37 between Martinsville and I-465 now even though it's incomplete  :-D

Google isn't listing it as "I-69"  anymore, but it is still a freeway.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2021, 12:54:04 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 27, 2021, 12:45:34 PM
I don't know about the specific examples, but I know I've seen town outlines in NY before, and now I don't.

Quote from: jakeroot on August 27, 2021, 12:52:22 PM
Nevertheless, based on your counterexamples, it seems that Google will show boundaries if it happens to have the data, but otherwise does not. Why they have data on, say, Greenwich, KS I do not know.

And yet I doubt Google lost the data for the boundaries |vdeane| has noticed disappear.

Sorry, playing catch up here with all the activity in this thread:

Town boundaries in New York do show up, but only if there's no same-name village, hamlet, or CDP. In other words, ironically, they only work if you search for the place. Hardly any place that you'd click organically on the map provides the outline, aside from actual cities (of which there's only 62 in the entire state), and a few select suburban towns, such as Brighton and Irondequoit.* But if you use the search function, Perinton, NY works just fine, and so does Galen, NY - as those particular names only refer to the town.

Personally, I haven't particularly noticed that this has gotten worse recently, but maybe it's just happened over time. But I definitely recall being frustrated by this quite some time ago - at least 1-2 years, if not longer. (And of course, I freely acknowledge that I use Google Maps for looking up municipalities way more than your average person... and probably even way more than your average person on this forum.)

*Oh, and villages. Villages show up just fine. But they're also irrelevant as far as Census population data is concerned, since their population is factored in to whatever town they're located in, so I don't normally have much use for them.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on August 27, 2021, 03:03:44 PM
Barre VT does show (the city), even though there's a town with the same name adjacent to it. Same with Rutland.

This happens in NY, as well. Batavia, Lockport, and Canandaigua, NY, are all cities with adjacent same-named towns, and the city outlines do show up.

And surprisingly, if you search "Town of [insert town name]" for any of the above, the actual town outline will show up, complete with the hole in the middle where the city is located.

jakeroot

It sounds to me like the Californians running Google Maps may be slightly confused at how municipalities work in New York, and the algorithms are not correctly processing town vs village vs city, etc.

billpa

Reminds me of Rand McNally with their metropolitan maps. The central cities are white and the suburban areas sort of a soft yellow/ gold. Suburban cities of a certain size get their own color but for some reason large (in many cases much larger) towns and townships do not.

Pixel 2

empirestate

Quote from: billpa on August 29, 2021, 02:08:49 PM
Reminds me of Rand McNally with their metropolitan maps. The central cities are white and the suburban areas sort of a soft yellow/ gold. Suburban cities of a certain size get their own color but for some reason large (in many cases much larger) towns and townships do not.

That's cartographically traditional. Towns/townships are generally treated as unincorporated area, regardless of their governmental status, because they are thought of as minor civil divisions, distinct from incorporated places like cities, villages, boroughs etc.

billpa

It makes no sense.  Townships with close to 100k population with a formal government, police department, public works dept, etc. are 'unincorporated' but small cities with a few thousand are 'proper' municipalities?

TXtoNJ

Quote from: billpa on August 30, 2021, 09:56:50 AM
It makes no sense.  Townships with close to 100k population with a formal government, police department, public works dept, etc. are 'unincorporated' but small cities with a few thousand are 'proper' municipalities?

It doesn't. Really, there should be a distinction between CSA/PSA, MSA, and municipalities.

empirestate

Mmm...not exactly. The comparison (again, cartographically) isn't between "unincorporated" and "proper", but rather between an areal subdivision of land (i.e., a town that is the subdivision of a county that is a subdivision of a state), and a concentrated settlement (i.e., a city or village, something that may be large or small, but generally has a centralized and relatively dense population).

So in that sense, a town can be just as "proper" an entity as a county or a state, while at the same time being no more comparable to a city or village than a state or a county would be.

Now of course, are there situations where this distinction gets very blurry, and do cartographers sometimes twist themselves into pretzels to depict them? Instead of answering yes or no, I'll just respond with "New Jersey." :-)

hotdogPi

Quote from: empirestate on August 30, 2021, 05:43:00 PM

Mmm...not exactly. The comparison (again, cartographically) isn't between "unincorporated" and "proper", but rather between an areal subdivision of land (i.e., a town that is the subdivision of a county that is a subdivision of a state), and a concentrated settlement (i.e., a city or village, something that may be large or small, but generally has a centralized and relatively dense population).

So in that sense, a town can be just as "proper" an entity as a county or a state, while at the same time being no more comparable to a city or village than a state or a county would be.

Now of course, are there situations where this distinction gets very blurry, and do cartographers sometimes twist themselves into pretzels to depict them? Instead of answering yes or no, I'll just respond with "New Jersey." :-)

This may be the case in New York, but it is definitely not the case in Massachusetts or New Hampshire.

In this map below, the ones in all caps are cities. There's no geographical difference between cities and towns.

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jakeroot

fixed link...

Quote from: 1 on August 30, 2021, 05:51:09 PM
In this map below, the ones in all caps are cities. There's no geographical difference between cities and towns.

https://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cispdf/City_Town_Map.pdf

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on August 30, 2021, 06:03:06 PM
fixed link...

The image shows for me, despite ending in pdf.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

empirestate

This may be the case in New York, but it is definitely not the case in Massachusetts or New Hampshire.

In New England, to a greater or lesser extent, minor civil divisions and incorporated places (I'm using Census terminology, but the USGS works similarly) are virtually indistinguishable. However, the distinction isn't completely absent everywhere.

In Connecticut, for example, unincorporated towns still legally exist, even where they are completely coterminous with incorporated cities–which is in every case save one (Groton). Connecticut also has sub-town level incorporated boroughs, and Vermont likewise has villages.

While Massachusetts (and Rhode Island) no longer has any unincorporated areas, some mapmakers have treated towns there, as elsewhere in New England, as "unincorporated" areas, to maintain the NY-style distinction between less centrally populated areas (towns) and denser ones (cities).

New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine all do also have varying amounts of bona-fide unincorporated territory, with Maine being about half composed of it.

NE2

And then there are the high tax and low tax portions of Rome and Saratoga Springs.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

webny99

Quote from: 1 on August 30, 2021, 06:07:35 PM
fixed link...

The image isn't showing for me. I wouldn't have even known there was something there if you hadn't referenced it.

dlsterner

Quote from: webny99 on August 30, 2021, 09:41:52 PM
fixed link...

The image isn't showing for me. I wouldn't have even known there was something there if you hadn't referenced it.

Appears to be browser dependent.  The image shows correctly for me using Safari (my normal browser), but it does not show up when I tried both Firefox and Chrome.

empirestate

Quote from: NE2 on August 30, 2021, 08:39:46 PM
And then there are the high tax and low tax portions of Rome and Saratoga Springs.

And Oneida.

jakeroot

Quote from: dlsterner on August 30, 2021, 10:56:57 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 30, 2021, 09:41:52 PM
fixed link...

Appears to be browser dependent.  The image shows correctly for me using Safari (my normal browser), but it does not show up when I tried both Firefox and Chrome.

No access to Safari but does not work on any browser that I have installed (Edge, Chrome, Firefox). (Windows 10)

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on August 31, 2021, 12:28:14 PM
No access to Safari but does not work on any browser that I have installed (Edge, Chrome, Firefox). (Windows 10)

I just tried it in IE as well (because I figure there's a 50% chance not a single person on here even uses that browser anymore), and it doesn't render on IE either.  At least has a broken image icon, though, so there's at least some clue something's missing.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

johndoe

As Google maps seems to get more and more advertisements I'm looking for alternative sites/apps.  I'd like to be able to view live traffic on both Chrome and Android.  Personally I don't love Waze as I never turn my "location" on for mobile...so it's a pain to view live traffic.  The color scheme isn't really very intuitive either.  Sometimes it feels like certain zoom levels on Google make it less "ad-intrusive"...thoughts?

Scott5114

openstreetmap.org

Wikipedia but a map, essentially. Doesn't have satellite or street view, but it does have county lines and the ability to edit out inaccuracies.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

I use the app "OSMAnd" when I'm cycling. Helps me find the least-hilly routes here in my very hilly city. Naturally uses OSM as its base map.

Never used it for navigating by car, but it's definitely a feature. But I think, like others, it would want location. I don't know if it has traffic, but it does have a lot of other options for adjusting the map display.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.