News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Scott5114

You mean you all don't just scribble down on a post-it note "9 W/62 N/44 E/37 W/81 S/152 W" or whatever?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2022, 11:23:30 PM
You mean you all don't just scribble down on a post-it note "9 W/62 N/44 E/37 W/81 S/152 W" or whatever?
It's a tad more complicated than that on a countrywide county clinching trip. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on February 18, 2022, 11:25:36 PM
It's a tad more complicated than that on a countrywide county clinching trip. :D

only if you're a coward

US 89

This is exactly how I handle any sort of trip I take on my own, whether it's a clinchdrive or a legitimate road trip. If my scribbled directions run over the entire front and back of the post-it note, it expands onto a piece of lined paper.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on February 18, 2022, 09:39:22 PM
For whatever reason, Google is refusing to route on a portion of I-95 NB in Maryland (between MD 216 and MD 32).  Meanwhile, no closure is being shown in the traffic layer.

Hmm, I'm noticing this as well. Strangely, it will allow you to route on I-95 between MD 216 and the rest area, but not between the rest area and MD 32 under any circumstance. It's almost like it doesn't even know there's a road there; using anywhere on that stretch as your destination defaults to I-95 SB.

kkt

I sketch a map of the route on a piece of paper with the routes labeled.  I could get away without that, but it makes it easier to remember what I'm supposed to be doing so I don't usually have to look at the directions while I'm driving.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kkt on February 19, 2022, 09:33:47 PM

I sketch a map of the route on a piece of paper with the routes labeled.  I could get away without that, but it makes it easier to remember what I'm supposed to be doing so I don't usually have to look at the directions while I'm driving.

That's what I do too.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

HighwayStar

I do that, if I don't just memorize it outright. And actually you can do that with an atlas rather than Google maps to achieve road warrior gold status.  :coffee:
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Scott5114

An atlas? Only if you're feeling lazy. Guess I have road warrior platinum status then, which requires obtaining maps through the mail (PDFs or shapefiles will do in a pinch) from the actual DOT.

webny99

I'm used to traveling with others + luggage + limited car space on road trips, in which case I could never deal with foldable maps. I generally bring at atlas along, but use Google Maps when I need to when off the main highways. I was reminded why last May, when my phone died on the way home from a day trip to the Catskills. We were near Middleburgh, and I had to use on my atlas to find my way back to the Thruway. I ended up following NY 145 to NY 10, but found out after the fact that NY 30>NY 30A>NY 162 would have saved close to ten minutes. It wasn't a big deal, but it was getting late at night and I certainly would have taken the shorter/faster route (and likely less winding/hilly than NY 10 too, plus avoiding Canajoharie) if I had been able to use Google Maps.

HighwayStar

Quote from: webny99 on February 20, 2022, 10:11:51 PM
I'm used to traveling with others + luggage + limited car space on road trips, in which case I could never deal with foldable maps. I generally bring at atlas along, but use Google Maps when I need to when off the main highways. I was reminded why last May, when my phone died on the way home from a day trip to the Catskills. We were near Middleburgh, and I had to use on my atlas to find my way back to the Thruway. I ended up following NY 145 to NY 10, but found out after the fact that NY 30>NY 30A>NY 162 would have saved close to ten minutes. It wasn't a big deal, but it was getting late at night and I certainly would have taken the shorter/faster route (and likely less winding/hilly than NY 10 too, plus avoiding Canajoharie) if I had been able to use Google Maps.

Eh, I find that Google only finds the faster way sometimes, and it is prone to optimistic assumptions. And sometimes it does stupid things that no one would ever actually do (such as advising me to go through an airport as a shortcut, never mind that it was $5 to go through it).

NE2

Quote from: eejit on February 20, 2022, 10:29:24 PM
Eh, I find that Google only finds the faster way sometimes, and it is prone to optimistic assumptions. And sometimes it does stupid things that no one would ever actually do (such as advising me to go through an airport as a shortcut, never mind that it was $5 to go through it).
If you're talking about DFW, lots of people do that.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

HighwayStar

Quote from: NE2 on February 21, 2022, 02:16:29 AM

To save 1 minute? I don't think so. Maybe at rush hour or if there was an accident, but this was not even going to save an appreciable amount of time. No one would do that.

sprjus4

^ Apparently enough people they increased the toll to $6 for quickly passing traffic.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2019/07/30/dfw-airport-upping-fee-to-6-for-pass-through-drivers-using-it-as-a-shortcut/

QuoteDFW International Airport officials plan to raise the fees for drivers who cut through the airport to save time.

The rate for pass-through commuters spending less than 8 minutes on airport property would increase to $6 starting Oct. 1, up from $4.

"This is to discourage drivers that cut through the airport to save time," DFW Airport CFO Chris Poisatte said.

Poisatte said airport roads, built and maintained with airport revenues and fees from airlines, are not intended to be a toll road for frustrated commuters.

DFW International Airport's board will vote on the proposal Thursday.

Last year, about 2,500 commuters a day cut through the airport, presumably to save time during busy rush-hour congestion between communities north and south of the property.

By the airport's estimations, they make about $3.6 million a year on pass-through commuters. Raising the fee by 50% would raise another $1.8 million if the higher rates don't scare away drivers.

"The rates are increasing so DFW can continue to improve upon parking and roadway infrastructures," airport spokeswoman Cynthia Vega said.

Any vehicle that enters the airport pays a fee, whether it's locals picking up passengers, ride-share drivers or those who park there.

Drivers that stay from 0 to 8 minutes pay $4, while those on the property 8 to 30 minutes only pay $2. For those remaining on-site between 30 minutes and 2 hours, it's $3.

Those fees come from airport estimates on how long it takes to pick up and drop off passengers. Drivers on property less than 8 minutes, they presume, are only cutting through.

The price hike on pass-through drivers is the only parking and toll fee increase planned for the upcoming year.

Rothman

Paper maps don't take up that much space.  Put 'em in the door.

Kids these days... ;D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 21, 2022, 02:19:16 AM

To save 1 minute? I don't think so. Maybe at rush hour or if there was an accident, but this was not even going to save an appreciable amount of time. No one would do that.

$6 is still nothing compared to some of the NY bridge tolls or the rates on Ontario's 407 ETR. If there's any congestion on the other routes, there's probably plenty of people who think it's worth it.

In any case that's a very unique situation. Most airports don't have exits on both ends, so they can't be used as a cut-through. I would hardly call that evidence that Google Maps "does stupid things" - if anything, it's a counterpoint to Maps "only find[ing] the fastest way sometimes".

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on February 21, 2022, 08:50:43 AM
I'm used to traveling with others + luggage + limited car space on road trips, in which case I could never deal with foldable maps. I generally bring at atlas along, but use Google Maps when I need to when off the main highways. ...

Kids these days... ;D

Oh, it's not the storage space that's the issue. It's how big and clumsy they are when they're unfolded and you're actually trying to use them.  :D

SEWIGuy

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 21, 2022, 02:19:16 AM

I've done it before when an accident pretty much shut down another route.  But yeah driving through is also a lot slower speed limit wise on top of the toll. 

HighwayStar

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2022, 09:26:41 AM
I'm used to traveling with others + luggage + limited car space on road trips, in which case I could never deal with foldable maps. I generally bring at atlas along, but use Google Maps when I need to when off the main highways. ...

Kids these days... ;D

Oh, it's not the storage space that's the issue. It's how big and clumsy they are when they're unfolded and you're actually trying to use them.  :D

I guess you need a bigger car then.
Though, you can use a couple panels of the map rather than the whole thing in most cases.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2022, 01:50:57 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on February 21, 2022, 01:42:11 PM

But you want to ban all SUVs.

Yes, because they don't even provide much interior room, just wasted weight and height without increasing interior room. My sedan is more spacious than any SUV I have ever been in.

Scott5114

Kids these days... ;D

Kick Grandma out at the rest area. "Out of the way, Grams, I've gotta look at the map!"

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 21, 2022, 03:33:01 PM

Kids these days... ;D

Kick Grandma out at the rest area. "Out of the way, Grams, I've gotta look at the map!"

"Hey Fozzie, who's driving?"
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

empirestate

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 21, 2022, 02:21:31 AM
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2019/07/30/dfw-airport-upping-fee-to-6-for-pass-through-drivers-using-it-as-a-shortcut/

QuotePoisatte said airport roads, built and maintained with airport revenues and fees from airlines, are not intended to be a toll road for frustrated commuters.

The same is essentially true of all the NYS parkways, and yet here we are. :spin:

Rothman

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 21, 2022, 02:54:00 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2022, 01:50:57 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on February 21, 2022, 01:42:11 PM

But you want to ban all SUVs.

Yes, because they don't even provide much interior room, just wasted weight and height without increasing interior room. My sedan is more spacious than any SUV I have ever been in.

This gets us back to the comments made on HighwayStar's Ultimate Road Trip Mobile... :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.