News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Rothman

Had this fun time savings pop up on a recent trip.  Minutes away and yet I could get over an hour in savings...

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on July 09, 2023, 06:50:25 PM
Had this fun time savings pop up on a recent trip.  Minutes away and yet I could get over an hour in savings...

I think it's saying that the whole trip (from wherever the blue line starts) has a three minute difference right there at the end depending on which route you take.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on July 09, 2023, 07:03:57 PM

I think it's saying that the whole trip (from wherever the blue line starts) has a three minute difference right there at the end depending on which route you take.

Haven't had it expressed like this before, since it typically takes the total time into account and only displays the difference.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on July 09, 2023, 07:38:48 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 09, 2023, 07:03:57 PM

Haven't had it expressed like this before, since it typically takes the total time into account and only displays the difference.

There is some combination of screens you have to go through to get it, but I've had it happen before. It is needlessly confusing, it should operate more like a traditional GPS where it only shows time remaining. Though to be fair, I think that's normally what happens.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 07, 2023, 01:35:40 PM
One solution--which I do not expect ever to receive development effort, because it does not contribute to the corporate goal of profiting through ads--would be to make the colors for all displayed features fully user-adjustable, with the ability to define different color profiles for different purposes.

I believe this is theoretically possible with OSM, though quite labor- and resource-intensive.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/4wEvTQZdtDBJXRwSA
What the heck is this? You can't see the road as the center is beyond distortion.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Daisy Rahman

Google Maps never works for me as a navigator. In 8 cases out of 10, he leads the route through a dead end or to where there is no turn.

Rothman

Quote from: Daisy Rahman on July 25, 2023, 09:22:01 AM
Google Maps never works for me as a navigator. In 8 cases out of 10, he leads the route through a dead end or to where there is no turn.
8 out of 10?  I mean, it certainly has its drawbacks per all the information in this thread, but I've been using it for navigation for years and only think this has happened to me twice out of hundreds of trips.

One of those times was in Alabama, where I suspected something was going to go awry.  When the dirt road became a two-track and then I came a cross a locked gate, I sent in the photo and they updated their map and routing accordingly.

On a tangent, there was once I asked a question through their feedback mechanism ("This road looks like it connects on satellite view, but the map says it doesn't?") and they just updated it to allow the connection without checking reality.  Some DOT had recently blocked off the road in question permanently for whatever reason (complete with curbing and plantings).

pderocco

Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2023, 09:27:23 AM
What the heck is this? You can't see the road as the center is beyond distortion.
Looks like the imagery got turned 90 degrees. If you "look" what appears to be upwards at the sky, then you can navigate "normally".

I've never seen that with the official Street View, but I've seen it in some secondary crappy Street View that are provided by users with crappy 360VR cameras on their cars. And a lot of the individual 360VR images represented by blue dots open up pointing in some seemingly random direction.

therocket

Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2023, 09:27:23 AM
The Google Street View camera fell over

Rothman

Just has to be said, yet again, after 18 years of Google Maps, that,

1) It still would be nice to have county lines on it without relying upon a third-party developer

2) That the mobile version would recognize via points.  Shoot, I'd take the mobile version just taking the static directions created on a desktop, rather than full via point functionality.

I'll be back to repeat this in five years when Google Maps still doesn't have the functionality...

vdeane

Street View is now in Germany!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on July 31, 2023, 09:37:41 AM
Hm.  So much for papiere, bitte...

Stephane Dumas

There's sometimes I wonder if Google Maps have some bias toward one region vs another?
For example: west of Sherbrooke, sectors of Rock Forest and St-Élie d'Orford  https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3873386,-71.9804783,6140m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu vs ACME Mapper. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3873386,-71.9804783,6140m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Compared to this view of A-85 southeast of Rivière-du-Loup https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7695984,-69.442694,2938m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu who was updated more often than ACME Mapper. https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7695984,-69.442694,2938m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

CNGL-Leudimin

I already posted a image from there in the Guess the Country thread while it was being rolled out :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

flan

Now street view has moved that black info box in the corner from the upper left to the upper right to make room for a search bar. If you are using satellite imagery, go to street view, and use the search function, you will be moved back to 'map' instead of 'satellite'. They also got rid of the arrow button to leave street view so now there's just a weird empty black space in that box.

Rothman

Updated my home location on the mobile version and lost the shortcut home button under the search bar.  Idiotic.

Hunty2022

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 01, 2023, 02:23:13 AM

I already posted a image from there in the Guess the Country thread while it was being rolled out :sombrero:.

I might have as well, in January.  :sombrero:
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

CNGL-Leudimin

But that was from the old, blurry imagery courtesy of the rage back in the day that made Google not to release any new photos for 13 years, known as "Blurmany" and now gone.
Quote from: flan on August 02, 2023, 12:52:14 AM
Now street view has moved that black info box in the corner from the upper left to the upper right to make room for a search bar. If you are using satellite imagery, go to street view, and use the search function, you will be moved back to 'map' instead of 'satellite'. They also got rid of the arrow button to leave street view so now there's just a weird empty black space in that box.

It took me a while to notice there's now a cross at the top right corner besides the box. I though the only way out now was by zooming out.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Daisy Rahman

Quote from: Rothman on July 25, 2023, 11:00:16 AM
Quote from: Daisy Rahman on July 25, 2023, 09:22:01 AM
8 out of 10?  I mean, it certainly has its drawbacks per all the information in this thread, but I've been using it for navigation for years and only think this has happened to me twice out of hundreds of trips.

One of those times was in Alabama, where I suspected something was going to go awry.  When the dirt road became a two-track and then I came a cross a locked gate, I sent in the photo and they updated their map and routing accordingly.

On a tangent, there was once I asked a question through their feedback mechanism ("This road looks like it connects on satellite view, but the map says it doesn't?") and they just updated it to allow the connection without checking reality.  Some DOT had recently blocked off the road in question permanently for whatever reason (complete with curbing and plantings).

I don't know how it turns out, but it is. So I use google maps to view the streets or search for different objects. But as a navigator, it's no good for me.

chrismarion100

I have noticed that some of the street view in my area were updated this past month (aka like two roads) but didn't even bother updating the street view that are 14 years old now or cover the parts of town that they didn't cover areas that they haven't covered. At least now when going down street view we have new 2023 street view then turn into 2008 street view but stay on the same road.

Hunty2022

Quote from: chrismarion100 on August 06, 2023, 04:10:51 AM
I have noticed that some of the street view in my area were updated this past month (aka like two roads) but didn't even bother updating the street view that are 14 years old now or cover the parts of town that they didn't cover areas that they haven't covered. At least now when going down street view we have new 2023 street view then turn into 2008 street view but stay on the same road.

They updated many roads in my county with July 2023 street view. A few of those roads were stuck with 2009 street view before. Some of the roads still are.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

D-Dey65

It still puts me on roads I don't want to go on when I drag my line, then it doesn't let me erase them. I was trying to see how long it would take to drive from Spring Hill to a certain movie theater in Ocala via Inglis, and it forced me onto a side road between US 41 and FL 40 north of Rainbow Springs. Then it wouldn't let me delete that side road.

bugo

I just noticed that they have the University/Asher/Roosevelt/Broadway/Broadway route in Little Rock and North Little Rock signed as Business Loop 30. This road hasn't been BL 30 for several decades. They correctly show the rerouting of US 70 between the I-30/430 interchange and the Asher/University intersection from a couple of years ago, but they have US 70 between I-430 and the Asher/Roosevelt intersection as AR 5, which is not correct as AR 5 ends at I-430. University Avenue isn't a state highway at all anymore since US 70 was rerouted. I wonder where Google gets its data from.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2022, 11:13:38 PM
Why the fuck would you check the browser string to see if you can take away a feature?

Because it's an Apple product.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.