News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

vdeane

Quote from: bugo on August 13, 2023, 12:10:34 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2022, 11:13:38 PM
Why the fuck would you check the browser string to see if you can take away a feature?

Because it's an Apple product.
Not just Apple.  Vivaldi sends out a Chrome user agent everywhere instead of having its own because otherwise many sites (especially Google) would break otherwise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bm7

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 07, 2023, 08:59:55 PM
It still puts me on roads I don't want to go on when I drag my line, then it doesn't let me erase them. I was trying to see how long it would take to drive from Spring Hill to a certain movie theater in Ocala via Inglis, and it forced me onto a side road between US 41 and FL 40 north of Rainbow Springs. Then it wouldn't let me delete that side road.
Was there a road closure? That's usually the cause of that in my experience.

Rothman

For the past few months, Google Maps has started assuming that if you searched for directions for a location that you've visited it, although it doesn't add it to your timeline.  Still, you get notifications to contribute a review of the places if you just idly consider a trip.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on August 23, 2023, 07:01:32 AM
For the past few months, Google Maps has started assuming that if you searched for directions for a location that you've visited it, although it doesn't add it to your timeline.  Still, you get notifications to contribute a review of the places if you just idly consider a trip.

Yes, I've noticed this too. It's particularly confusing after a late night out, and the next day Maps asks if you want to contribute a review. But you're sure you didn't visit the place...but then you're also not sure since it was a "late night out".

Related minor issue: things are so tightly packed here in Japan, Maps isn't always sure of which place you visited. You'll spend an hour in one place, and the next day it asks you to review the place next door. Oops.

vdeane

Looks like Google is pushing Globe View again.  After a long while of it being off by default, now I randomly get it on by default again.  I think I prefer the instant street view that I get with it off (rather than the animation that happens with it on).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CovalenceSTU

Looks like Google Maps now includes the search term when you share a shortlink, which is a bit annoying as catching up on the forums now fills my recent search history.

vdeane

Quote from: CovalenceSTU on August 27, 2023, 10:20:11 PM
Looks like Google Maps now includes the search term when you share a shortlink, which is a bit annoying as catching up on the forums now fills my recent search history.
Stuff like that is why I browse Google Maps in incognito mode.

Echostatic

My default map view has completely changed. Now looks like this:

I checked in the layers menu to see if I had accidentally enabled some kind of new look, but nope; this is (seemingly) the actual look of the map now. Here's some more screenshots:

I guess the color orange went out of style.

In cities with the more detailed zoom view, this is the new look:

The old view remains in Google My Maps. For comparison:

My opinions closely align with the title of this thread.

EDIT: The new traffic view actually looks pretty nice... but overall this update is a clear downgrade.

Travelled in part or in full.

freebrickproductions

Nothing's changed on my end, I'm guessing either it's just startin' to be rolled out, or they're doing A/B testing of it and your in the group that's getting to test the new design.

Personally, I don't hate it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CtrlAltDel

It looks like a new thing they're doing to make it look a bit more like Apple Maps:

https://9to5google.com/2023/08/31/google-maps-new-colors/
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Wow, this looks great. Well done, Google.

I'm not able to explore the new look on any of my devices, but I hope I get to soon. Looks like a great contrast improvement over the current design.

pderocco

I'm not seeing it either. But from those screen caps, it looks like they've made the small streets darker, to contrast better with the background. White streets with light gray borders against a very light gray background seems like a boneheaded design. I hope this shows up on the Android phone version, because I need the higher contrast while driving. But I wouldn't mind even higher contrast than this. Remember paper maps? Black lines against a white background? Worked pretty well.

SectorZ

In the new design, the light green shading for what I presume is forest is very haphazardly placed compared to reality, at least in my neck of the woods.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: SectorZ on September 01, 2023, 09:01:09 AM
In the new design, the light green shading for what I presume is forest is very haphazardly placed compared to reality, at least in my neck of the woods.

That vegetation shading bears very little resemblance to reality. The "prairie peninsula" that extends from Illinois into NW Indiana is shown as the same sort of forest as the pine woods of the Carolina lowcountry.  :-D

Meanwhile, the St. Louis area is depicted as being more open than central Illinois which, again, is a joke. So, I'm not sure what the cartographers at the Goog were thinking here. They have their vegetated areas all mixed up. Just use the hybrid mode and all this horribleness is forgotten. 

GCrites

Yeah it's like the amount of tree cover the U.S. had before the Mayflower.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 01, 2023, 10:43:13 AM

But it's so wrong that we cannot even say that.  They have places like the I-80 corridor in Illinois (a place that is flat and wide open) with thicker vegetation than much of the southeast! It's not even a matter of color-coding gone awry or them depicting what no longer is.  No, the shading contour outlines are just wrong in a lot of areas. They don't resemble reality and seem decorative more than informative. 

bm7

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on September 01, 2023, 11:28:14 AM

But it's so wrong that we cannot even say that.  They have places like the I-80 corridor in Illinois (a place that is flat and wide open) with thicker vegetation than much of the southeast! It's not even a matter of color-coding gone awry or them depicting what no longer is.  No, the shading contour outlines are just wrong in a lot of areas. They don't resemble reality and seem decorative more than informative.
I wonder if it's just based on satellite imagery. The average farm field in Illinois is more green than those in southern Georgia, for instance.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: bm7 on September 01, 2023, 02:02:48 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on September 01, 2023, 11:28:14 AM

I wonder if it's just based on satellite imagery. The average farm field in Illinois is more green than those in southern Georgia, for instance.

I believe it is, at least with respect to the orange design.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

thenetwork

Quote from: Echostatic on August 31, 2023, 06:29:31 PM
My default map view has completely changed. Now looks like this:

I checked in the layers menu to see if I had accidentally enabled some kind of new look, but nope; this is (seemingly) the actual look of the map now. Here's some more screenshots:

I guess the color orange went out of style.

In cities with the more detailed zoom view, this is the new look:

The old view remains in Google My Maps. For comparison:

My opinions closely align with the title of this thread.

EDIT: The new traffic view actually looks pretty nice... but overall this update is a clear downgrade.

Google Maps just switched over to the new look on my devices over the weekend...

Amaury

Roads are still yellow in satellite view, which is what I use; however, entrance/exit ramps, which were previously also yellow, now use a dark blue-gray. And this is for all ramps, whether from a city/town to freeway or freeway-to-freeway, such as the I-82 and I-84 interchange or I-82 and I-90 interchange.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

JoePCool14

I have the new Google Maps style on my work computer this morning. I still wish mapping sites would provide the option for grayscale or using various colors for different roads. I don't like everything being a shade of gray. There isn't enough contrast between road types to my liking. I do like the improved contrast between road and background.

I will say that the new traffic colors look nice though.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

intelati49

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 05, 2023, 09:41:15 AM
I have the new Google Maps style on my work computer this morning. I still wish mapping sites would provide the option for grayscale or using various colors for different roads. I don't like everything being a shade of gray. There isn't enough contrast between road types to my liking. I do like the improved contrast between road and background.

I will say that the new traffic colors look nice though.
I agree with the grayscale.

There's a way to fix the curmudgeons complaints though. Give them (us?) the options to fiddle with the colors. OSMAnd is my go to for browsing.

The routing options/traffic is just so useful, so I still use maps as my "GPS"

Was reading the Ars article from a week ago and was wondering the feel here.

https://arstechnica.com/?p=1965118

andrepoiy

kphoger

Quote from: pderocco on September 01, 2023, 02:03:35 AM
But from those screen caps, it looks like they've made the small streets darker, to contrast better with the background. White streets with light gray borders against a very light gray background seems like a boneheaded design.

Agreed.  Worst part of the most recent iteration.  Looking forward to actually being able to see streets again.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bm7

It's very inconsistent as well. Some areas all of the roads are a readable width, but in others most of them are of the barely discernible 1 pixel wide variety.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.