Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

CovalenceSTU

Right now I have the new colors, but the major roads turn yellow again if I switch to satellite view.

Does anyone else have a problem with edits simply not showing up? I twice tried fixing a road that was realigned 15 years ago and got the confirmation email both times, but when I go to my contributions it simply isn't there. I only have one edit (assigning OR-501 to the Alsea-Deadwood Highway) and it was rejected despite appearing on official documents and GSV.

Amaury

It is not possible to add custom colors to Google Maps? I did a search a couple weeks ago and saw something that said you go to edit map and do it there, but either it's wrong or it's outdated and it was removed.

I was wanting to make maps of my drives and highlight the drive there as one color and the drive back as another. I would like to do it as one map, but I can always just do two separate maps, one for the drive there and one from the drive back if this is not possible. Sometimes I come back a different way than go there.

For example, my drive to Thompson Falls, Montana, in October 2021 was:
There: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xHUDmMsDYtoztK2i9
Back: https://maps.app.goo.gl/mXsrnntZzdyGu2ns7

I can, of course, do it all as one, there's just no way for me to show which one is the trip there and which one is the trip back: https://maps.app.goo.gl/x3jexifkLZwukpWJ9
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Rothman

Route markers have disappeared, except when actively navigating a route on my phone.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on December 05, 2023, 11:09:22 PM
Route markers have disappeared, except when actively navigating a route on my phone.

This happened to me once. Make sure your transit layer is off.

GCrites

I never really liked the old colors. Looked too much like salad.

formulanone

It's really slow to load, as well as to zoom in and out, since the new redesign. Text is occasionally garbled, which appears to be some mixture of text overlap when changing the zoom values. Everything is so...muddled green for half the US. Colors seem to work a little better in night mode.

The only improvement I've noticed is that if you just search for a singular route by name and/or number, it will try to highlight its entire length in blue. Kind of helpful for this hobby, and maybe helpful if one is looking for a road name, but without a specific address or building number to go with the road name.

pderocco

Quote from: formulanone on December 12, 2023, 08:04:55 PM
It's really slow to load, as well as to zoom in and out, since the new redesign. Text is occasionally garbled, which appears to be some mixture of text overlap when changing the zoom values. Everything is so...muddled green for half the US. Colors seem to work a little better in night mode.

The only improvement I've noticed is that if you just search for a singular route by name and/or number, it will try to highlight its entire length in blue. Kind of helpful for this hobby, and maybe helpful if one is looking for a road name, but without a specific address or building number to go with the road name.

I'm not seeing any of the problems in your first paragraph, and I'm not seeing the feature in your second paragraph, either in a browser or in the Google Maps app on my Pixel 3 XL. If I seach for a road, I see a pushpin at what looks like its exact midpoint. And this is post-redesign in both.

jlam

Ever since the redesign, GSV hasn't been working for me. Whenever I try to drop Pegman on a road, he returns to his little square. I can still enter GSV by right-clicking the roads, but that doesn't work for the photospheres. All links to GSV still work.

formulanone

Quote from: pderocco on December 12, 2023, 10:15:23 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 12, 2023, 08:04:55 PM

I'm not seeing any of the problems in your first paragraph, and I'm not seeing the feature in your second paragraph, either in a browser or in the Google Maps app on my Pixel 3 XL. If I seach for a road, I see a pushpin at what looks like its exact midpoint. And this is post-redesign in both.

I'm using Chrome on my work laptop, which is hampered by 8GB (refresh coming soon). Zoom speed seems to have good days and bad days, wasn't sure if happening elsewhere; yet no other pages seem affected.

Seems to be a lot more fluid and no garbled text on my phone.

davewiecking

I officially hate how it's now a few extra steps to get into Street View on the iPad version. When it works at all.

Hunty2022

Google Maps turned US 211 in Page County, VA into US 221 for a few days. When I checked to see if it was still there just now, it was turned back into US 211.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Mr. Matté

More of a visual only thing, but when moving within Street View, after making the click/keystroke that would execute the location change, it seems in the past few days like there's a jump in the picture before the animation of going to the intended location. Really annoying if I'm doing multiple moves in a row.

vdeane

I actually have a positive thing to report: it is now possible to use the measure distance tool to get distances in miles without the length being over a mile now!  Somewhat.  It still defaults to feet if the length is less than a mile, but if you zoom out enough, the total length reported on the map will switch.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

7/8

For some reason, when I zoom in at Highway 5 and 6 in Hamilton, ON, two interchange ramps show up (which don't exist in real life). And as far as I know, there is no plan for these to be built (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Left image: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.3128635,-79.9186477,16.77z?entry=ttu
Right image: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.3127016,-79.9185347,17.06z?entry=ttu

pderocco

At least there's no Street View on them.

I see that they don't appear if you turn on aerial imagery. I suspect someone at Google was messing around with their editing tools, and accidentally updated the public database.

epzik8

Quote from: 7/8 on February 07, 2024, 02:04:50 PM
For some reason, when I zoom in at Highway 5 and 6 in Hamilton, ON, two interchange ramps show up (which don't exist in real life). And as far as I know, there is no plan for these to be built (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Left image: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.3128635,-79.9186477,16.77z?entry=ttu
Right image: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.3127016,-79.9185347,17.06z?entry=ttu

Google Maps is definitely possessed by something at this point.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

I-55

I've seen new satellite imagery drop in several locations (notably I-69 in Martinsville) with the lowest dpi I've seen in the contiguous US. The image quality is similar to northern Alberta. That or the'ye layering images on top of each other
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

jakeroot

Quote from: I-55 on February 14, 2024, 04:03:36 PM
I've seen new satellite imagery drop in several locations (notably I-69 in Martinsville) with the lowest dpi I've seen in the contiguous US. The image quality is similar to northern Alberta. That or the'ye layering images on top of each other

We also got some new imagery here in Japan, though it's just the imagery Google Earth has had for some time now (though only accessible through the historical imagery slider).

Likewise, also not the best quality. Though I thought it was more of a localized issue, most satellite imagery here is not super high quality.

CovalenceSTU

That is some abysmal quality, on Earth Pro the date keeps flipping between 10/1/2023 and 4/10/2013 but neither of those dates (or the imagery itself) exist in the historical slider, even when zoomed out.

I also noticed the the newest batch of quality imagery seems to have overwritten the last one when zoomed in, it happened in Astoria with 10/2018 showing 8/2023 imagery (thankful it finally updated though) and in your location with 9/2021 showing 9/2023.

Hunty2022

New satellite imagery has also appeared in part of Virginia, including my hometown of Ruckersville. I can finally see the new configuration of US 33 east of US 29 in satellite view.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

7/8

Has anyone tried opening Google Maps incognito? Here's two screenshots (I'm using Firefox):

The colours are the old ones, and the shields are cursed.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on February 16, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
Has anyone tried opening Google Maps incognito? Here's two screenshots (I'm using Firefox):

The colours are the old ones, and the shields are cursed.

I've been using it in Incognito mode (Edge) all day.  The colors are still the new ones, and the shields are not cursed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

pderocco

I think a lot of these problems have to do with stale data in the cache.

As to I-69 in Martinsville, it looks fine to me in both Maps and Earth. Not the absolute best imagery, but I can easily see all the lane markings. Earlier imagery in Earth is somewhat sharper until you go back to 8/2010. But the reason they make this slightly inferior imagery from 9/2023 the default is that it shows the new grade separated interchanges needed to bring this up to Interstate standards, while everything before that doesn't.

pderocco

By the way, have they signed I-69 through Indianapolis, or along I-465 east or west of the city? Google doesn't say.

jlam

Quote from: pderocco on February 16, 2024, 05:53:41 PM
By the way, have they signed I-69 through Indianapolis, or along I-465 east or west of the city? Google doesn't say.
I-69 will be designated along I-465 east of the city (I'm not sure whether it will be signed), but that won't happen until the future interchange of I-465 & I-69 SB opens. Give it a couple years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.