News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on February 16, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
Has anyone tried opening Google Maps incognito? Here's two screenshots (I'm using Firefox):

The colours are the old ones, and the shields are cursed.

I don't advise this unless you live somewhere that you speak the language, or have a VPN...

jlam

I just tried browsing Google Maps incognito (both .com and .ca) and it's normal. However, I'm using Chrome, so they've probably fine-tuned it. Probably solely a Firefox issue.

Funnily enough, Street View only works on Edge for me; still not Chrome.

hotdogPi

Looks normal on Safari.

Street View is also fine.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

cjw2001

Quote from: jlam on February 16, 2024, 06:01:22 PM
Quote from: pderocco on February 16, 2024, 05:53:41 PM
By the way, have they signed I-69 through Indianapolis, or along I-465 east or west of the city? Google doesn't say.
I-69 will be designated along I-465 east of the city (I'm not sure whether it will be signed), but that won't happen until the future interchange of I-465 & I-69 SB opens. Give it a couple years.
Target date for project completion is end of 2024.

vdeane

I use Google Maps almost exclusively in incognito (exception is if I want to leave a business review) and I've never had cursed shields.  I did use it to get the old map style while the transition was happening, but that hasn't worked in ages.  I do get the old style via API windows (like 511 sites), though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jlam

Quote from: cjw2001 on February 16, 2024, 09:08:39 PM

Quote from: jlam on February 16, 2024, 06:01:22 PM

Quote from: pderocco on February 16, 2024, 05:53:41 PM

By the way, have they signed I-69 through Indianapolis, or along I-465 east or west of the city? Google doesn't say.

I-69 will be designated along I-465 east of the city (I'm not sure whether it will be signed), but that won't happen until the future interchange of I-465 & I-69 SB opens. Give it a couple years.

Target date for project completion is end of 2024.

Right. I was basing that estimate on projects in NC. I forgot that Indiana actually wants to complete these projects.

jakeroot

Quote from: jlam on February 16, 2024, 07:16:50 PM
I just tried browsing Google Maps incognito (both .com and .ca) and it's normal. However, I'm using Chrome, so they've probably fine-tuned it. Probably solely a Firefox issue.

Funnily enough, Street View only works on Edge for me; still not Chrome.

I cannot comment on the Street View issue (that's pretty bizarre) but I was using Firefox in my screenshot (notice it says "Private Browsing" and not "Incognito", the latter being Chrome-lingo) and did not have any issues.

jlam

Only Pegman doesn't work. I can still enter GSV using the double-click "What's Here?" method, but that only works with Google-mandated imagery. The panorama shots, photo trails, and other user-submitted imagery don't do anything when I try entering it. I could switch to Edge for my Google Maps activity, but that doesn't sit right.

fwydriver405

Quote from: 7/8 on February 16, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
Has anyone tried opening Google Maps incognito? Here's two screenshots (I'm using Firefox):

The colours are the old ones, and the shields are cursed.

I'm getting the same thing with the "cursed" shields, but with the new colour scheme. Brave 1.61.120 on two Mac computers (2019 MBP 16" macOS 13.6.4 / Windows 11 23H2, and a 2018 Mac mini on macOS 14.3.1 / Windows 10 22H2), on both the ".com" and ".ca" domains.

Notice this happens when:
- Brave Shields are turned on, when signed in
- This happens in both normal mode (signed in) and incognito (signed out). It does not happen with Shields on when signed out.
- Happens on two out of my four Google accounts signed in (two personal, affected, and two school, unaffected)
- Doesn't happen on Firefox or Safari, also signed in on normal mode or signed out in Private Browsing
- Street View still works normally on all three browsers
- Cookies and cache were cleared on Brave on both computers, but it still persists after signing in.

Suspect it might be a domain Brave Shields is blocking, as the "cursed" shields problem goes away when I disable it, and/or as another user suggested, could be some stale data in the cache:

Quote from: pderocco on February 16, 2024, 05:41:02 PM
I think a lot of these problems have to do with stale data in the cache.

jlam

I just pulled up Google Maps in Chrome (while logged in to my Google account) and the shields do look a little funky (just not as broken as in 7/8's and fwydriver405's examples). The fonts look a little big/displaced:

Molandfreak

Are shields not appearing at all for anyone else now?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

jakeroot

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 27, 2024, 03:09:09 AM

No problems to report on my end.

Rothman

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 27, 2024, 03:09:09 AM
They only appear at specific zoom levels and I think that's gotten worse over the past couple of months.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

fwydriver405

Quote from: jlam on February 18, 2024, 11:45:48 AM
I just pulled up Google Maps in Chrome (while logged in to my Google account) and the shields do look a little funky (just not as broken as in 7/8's and fwydriver405's examples). The fonts look a little big/displaced:

Update on my end, I found out that turning off "Block Fingerprinting" or "Aggressively Block Fingerprinting" to "Allow Fingerprinting" on Brave Shields seems to makes the cursed shields go away... wonder if blocking fingerprinting breaks some parts of Google Maps functionality (some people also had smooth zoom issues too from what I read).

MATraveler128

Is there any reason why Street View isn't available on the Verrazano Bridge in NYC? This is on iOS
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jlam

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 27, 2024, 03:11:24 PM
Is there any reason why Street View isn't available on the Verrazano Bridge in NYC? This is on iOS

I believe it's the same reason as the GWB: security.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

LilianaUwU

Quote from: jlam on February 27, 2024, 03:14:51 PM

More like paranoia.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Quote from: LilianaUwU on February 27, 2024, 07:00:07 PM
Quote from: jlam on February 27, 2024, 03:14:51 PM

More like paranoia.
As a co-worker of mine said today, "We must panic."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 27, 2024, 04:49:50 PM
Oh God. The pooing is cool guy...

OK, set me straight here.  I thought |NE2| started the 'pooing is cool' thing.  Am I wrong about that?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kphoger on February 28, 2024, 09:54:06 AM

OK, set me straight here.  I thought |NE2| started the 'pooing is cool' thing.  Am I wrong about that?

On MTR, its was that Tim dude from Cincinnati.

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 28, 2024, 10:18:24 AM

Thanks!  I have been schooled.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 28, 2024, 10:18:24 AM

That Tim dude is on the forum, as well, you know...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.