Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 04, 2024, 04:55:34 PM

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2024, 04:33:55 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/AChMSVGzzKT3VA1u7
You mean no one's recaptured this part of K-27 since 08. 16 years and no drive by. Come on.

You know there are still state highways in other places with zero coverage, including 2008 coverage, yeah? I've been on that stretch you've linked to. There aren't many cars period, much less GSV cars.

Ha!  I grew up one county away, and even I haven't been on that stretch of road.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 04, 2024, 04:57:13 PM
You mean no one's recaptured this part of K-27 since 08. 16 years and no drive by. Come on.

Is it any different?

The quality of the images are. Not the land, as unlike Florida will not get developed here anytime soon.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2024, 05:26:53 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 04, 2024, 04:55:34 PM

You know there are still state highways in other places with zero coverage, including 2008 coverage, yeah? I've been on that stretch you've linked to. There aren't many cars period, much less GSV cars.

Ha!  I grew up one county away, and even I haven't been on that stretch of road.

I was clinching all of Colorado's mileage, so obviously I had to cross the Kansas border a couple of times to make it official, and K-27 is so close to the border that I'd use that to double back instead of just turning around at the border.

jlam

Quote from: Rothman on March 04, 2024, 05:20:35 PM
I hate the new blue.  Mob-rule still uses the old colors with the old zoom levels for labels.  The old way is much easier to read.
Not a problem for me if I try to evade it hard enough. My Apple products still use the old colors.

That segment is literally the only road in Kansas I've been on (though it was a clinch-motivated trip)

kkt

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 04, 2024, 04:42:06 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 04, 2024, 04:37:00 PM
Meanwhile, dead end streets in California get two cars at the same time.

With Google based in California that probably makes more sense for something dumb like that to happen.

Probably training a new camera car driver.

pderocco

That's happened in much more scenic locations. When they began Street View, it looks like their sent their cars, with their crappy cameras, to capture lots of America the Beautiful. Ever since then, given a choice between going back for better imagery and going someplace new, they opt for the latter.

bicyclehazard

I have been using openstreetmap.org It lets you save a map.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bicyclehazard on March 04, 2024, 07:49:59 PM

As if I ever needed additional selling on never using openstreetmap.

vdeane

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2024, 07:51:20 PM

As if I ever needed additional selling on never using openstreetmap.
I wish there was a way to get OSM cartography with the Google Maps driving directions, street view, and business info (photos/reviews/etc.).  The Google Maps cartography has been annoying me lately; the only thing I like about it over OSM is that it shades where businesses of consumer interest are, making it easier to find food and the like without resorting to search.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

It lets you save a map.

What does this mean?  Is this meaningfully different than using Google My Maps?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: pderocco on March 04, 2024, 07:42:38 PM
That's happened in much more scenic locations. When they began Street View, it looks like their sent their cars, with their crappy cameras, to capture lots of America the Beautiful. Ever since then, given a choice between going back for better imagery and going someplace new, they opt for the latter.

Right. They aren't going to head back to places that rarely have changed. The neighborhood I once lived in hasn't seen an update since 2012. Why would they go back there?

Yet we have people here claim this "is not very forgivable." I mean...its a free service.

pderocco

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 05, 2024, 08:47:35 AM
Quote from: pderocco on March 04, 2024, 07:42:38 PM

Right. They aren't going to head back to places that rarely have changed. The neighborhood I once lived in hasn't seen an update since 2012. Why would they go back there?
The 2012 imagery is decent quality. The 2007-2009 imagery is so bad you can barely make out the speed limit signs; forget about reading street signs, house numbers, business names, or seeing the road surface quality. It's practically useless imagery. So if it's in a particularly scenic area which many people are likely to want to view, they should prioritize updating it.

SEWIGuy

Why do you think people use street view? My guess...idle curiosity...to get familiar with the area you are traveling to...to see where their family, friends and co-workers live...

None of these really apply to an out of the way rural highway in Kansas.

pderocco

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 05, 2024, 07:09:35 PM
Why do you think people use street view? My guess...idle curiosity...to get familiar with the area you are traveling to...to see where their family, friends and co-workers live...

None of these really apply to an out of the way rural highway in Kansas.

Then why did they bother to send the GSV car there in the first place, even for crappy imagery?

As to updating that imagery, I'm talking about "particularly scenic areas". I spend quite a bit of time using GSV to see what the roads and views are like in rural places that I might like to explore, and then I go and explore them. But I live in the Southwest, which has more than its share of spectacular scenery, much of which I can visit on a weekend, some even on a day trip. I suspect many people use GSV in that way. But the really old imagery isn't useful for that, and as far as I can see, isn't useful for anything much.

kphoger

Quote from: pderocco on March 05, 2024, 08:23:02 PM
As to updating that imagery, I'm talking about "particularly scenic areas". I spend quite a bit of time using GSV to see what the roads and views are like in rural places that I might like to explore ... But the really old imagery isn't useful for that ...

How is it not useful for that?  I can get a good feel for the scenery from that '08 imagery.
Male pronouns, please.

pderocco

Well, you have to do a lot of mental interpolation. But when you look at a beautiful view in the 2007 imagery, it looks ugly as sin, and unless you do a lot of compensation, you wouldn't want to go there based on what you saw.

There is a more recent form of GSV imagery that I've seen in various places, which comes from really low-quality cameras driven around by other companies. For instance, in my erstwhile hometown Provincetown MA, there's a lot of it, although they recently replaced it with newer good imagery on the major Commercial St. The back streets are still ugly, though. This was captured by a company called PTown Hacks, an LGBT travel guide company:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LZMhR3txm2F3neUC6

[Redacted what appears to have been a joke that didn't go over well with the audience. -S.]

freebrickproductions

TBF, the 3rd Party street view imagery is often done via 360° cameras, the quality of which isn't the best on lower-end & cheaper ones.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Rothman

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 06, 2024, 06:39:46 PM
TBF, the 3rd Party street view imagery is often done via 360° cameras, the quality of which isn't the best on lower-end & cheaper ones.
And yet, Google accepts it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

I wonder if the older imagery is being deliberately degraded to save on storage space as newer imagery is added. I distinctly remember seeing clear images that date to 2008 just a few years back, but now those images are mostly illegible.

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on March 06, 2024, 10:14:59 PM
I wonder if the older imagery is being deliberately degraded to save on storage space as newer imagery is added. I distinctly remember seeing clear images that date to 2008 just a few years back, but now those images are mostly illegible.
I dunno.  Looking at my older digital photos is eye-opening to see how much progress has been made.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

I highly doubt Google is short on storage space.

Scott5114

The 2008 imagery was mostly done with the potato-quality cameras, but there were a few areas where they were testing clearer ones at that time.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 06, 2024, 10:59:22 PM

The 2008 imagery was mostly done with the potato-quality cameras, but there were a few areas where they were testing clearer ones at that time.

I suspect it's also that screens are much larger now, especially in terms of the number of pixels they hold, and it appears that street view blows-up the images to fit the screen.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

pderocco

Perhaps storage space can be an issue in the camera, but I doubt on the servers. But I suppose in a car, it could be connected to a box of M.2 drives.

When I see lousy imagery of a nice place, I find myself wishing they'd send me to photograph it. Personally, I'd love to drive a GSV car around in the mountains, or in quaint towns, or charming cities, or anyplace beautiful, as long as they paid all my expenses. That would be like a free vacation. But I suspect there is a huge surplus of people who'd like to do that. Driving around grimy industrial areas, boring suburbs, slums, endless farm roads in the Great Plains, not so much.

Rothman

Quote from: pderocco on March 06, 2024, 11:23:58 PM
Perhaps storage space can be an issue in the camera, but I doubt on the servers. But I suppose in a car, it could be connected to a box of M.2 drives.

When I see lousy imagery of a nice place, I find myself wishing they'd send me to photograph it. Personally, I'd love to drive a GSV car around in the mountains, or in quaint towns, or charming cities, or anyplace beautiful, as long as they paid all my expenses. That would be like a free vacation. But I suspect there is a huge surplus of people who'd like to do that. Driving around grimy industrial areas, boring suburbs, slums, endless farm roads in the Great Plains, not so much.

"I'll drive your camera car, but only where others want to, too, rather than where you decide to send me."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.