News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Atlantic City trip notes

Started by noelbotevera, July 04, 2015, 03:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Well, I took a trip to AC this past week, with a trip to New York included...
Let's begin.

Awesome button copy at exit 45 on I-81. Pretty darn old.

Mo' button copy at  exit 326 on the PA Turnpike. I must have extreme luck!

Cool double decked/viaduct section of I-76 in Philadelphia (between exit 343 to exit 347). That sections looks awesome when you're on the road, and we did this on a Monday afternoon.

Exit 354 in NJ? Stupid exit numbers?

On NJ 42, drivers are crazy! Same goes for New York. There was generally nothing on this stretch. I'll skip to the ACE.

All the signs on the ACE make me wanna explode. What kind of mess is this? Seriously South Jersey, your signs are the cause of crashes, cause they're so horrid.

Button copy in Atlantic City! I found some right near the end of the ACE.

Skipping to June 25th - GSP NB near exit 50
US 9 shields are the new talk of all police. They make great badges.
oh btw, i found exit 41!

Skipping to Toms River - GSP NB near exit 80
exit 82 and 82A? What type of hooligan would number the exits like that? Oh wait, the NJ Turnpike Authority.

Exit 100, 100A, and 100B? Bad exit numbering never stops (I'm looking at you US 75 in Texas).

The local/express setup has pretty cool ramps, and I like it. But, we had to weave hard from the cash lane into the express lanes (same goes for taking NJ 440 on the Driscoll Bridge). Also, switching directions on the service plaza? Hot dog!

Driscoll Bridge, NJ 440, and the Outerbridge Bridge is cool. But New Yorker drivers aren't cool. They might be the new DFW drivers.

I-278 was a pretty slick roadway. Infrastructure was pretty cool on it. I think I like I-278, despite being substandard.

I-495 congestion on the Queens-Midtown tunnel...could've been dodged by using I-278. My family was stuck in congestion for an HOUR.

The trip notes end abruptly here, because I fell asleep for the return trip.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 04, 2015, 03:32:19 PM
Well, I took a trip to AC this past week, with a trip to New York included...
Let's begin....

Cool double decked/viaduct section of I-76 in Philadelphia (between exit 343 to exit 347). That sections looks awesome when you're on the road, and we did this on a Monday afternoon.

That section sucks. Clearance is low, narrow shoulders, it's dirty and it's loud. What's above you are local roads mainly serving the 30th Street Train Station.

Exit 354 in NJ? Stupid exit numbers?

Blame the DRPA for that one. No one gets it.

QuoteOn NJ 42, drivers are crazy!

Gotta ask this...what lane were you in? Too many drivers...especially PA drivers, stay in the left lane here, generally clogging up the road. No amount of "Keep Right Except To Pass" signs seem to help. Regardless, it is a busy road in this area.

All the signs on the ACE make me wanna explode. What kind of mess is this? Seriously South Jersey, your signs are the cause of crashes, cause they're so horrid.

I don't get you're statement here.  In fact, I can't ever recall anyone complaining about the signs on the Expressway. They are quite standard, except for the signs approaching AC, and that was previously explained. Many if the accidents on this road are due to drowsy drivers and have nothing to do with the signage. "South Jersey" also has nothing to do with the signage.

Skipping to Toms River - GSP NB near exit 80
exit 82 and 82A? What type of hooligan would number the exits like that? Oh wait, the NJ Turnpike Authority.

Exit 100, 100A, and 100B?

Actually, the NJ Turnpike Authority inherited the GSP numbering scheme. Previously, the GSP was owned by it's own agency, the "New Jersey Highway Authority". These agencies merged about 12 years ago.

The Turnpike Authority has been upgrading the exiting numbering lately, although it's usually tied into other projects.

The local/express setup has pretty cool ramps, and I like it. But, we had to weave hard from the cash lane into the express lanes (same goes for taking NJ 440 on the Driscoll Bridge).

Technically, they don't want you doing that.  There's a reason why the stripping prohibits such a movement.

QuoteAlso, switching directions on the service plaza? Hot dog!

Unlike the PA and NJ Turnpikes which are ticket system highways, the GSP is a toll barrier system highway and doesn't care if you use the service plazas to turn around. Heck, they would rather like it if you came onto the highway just to use the service plaza!  The southern-most service plaza is infamous for many people heading north to make a u-turn in the plaza from North to South for people to access the Sea Isle City exit, which is SB only.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 05, 2015, 09:23:43 AM

I don't get you're statement here.  In fact, I can't ever recall anyone complaining about the signs on the Expressway. They are quite standard, except for the signs approaching AC, and that was previously explained. Many if the accidents on this road are due to drowsy drivers and have nothing to do with the signage. "South Jersey" also has nothing to do with the signage.

Alps has chronicled some of the nasties on the Atlantic City Expressway... see http://alpsroads.net/roads/nj/ace . Also, the South Jersey Transportation Authority (SJTA) owns the Expressway, so they are responsible for most of the cringe-inducing signs you see on it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Ugly? Yes.
Unusual? Yes.
Cause of crashes? No.

(And most of the other interchanges are fine)

noelbotevera

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 05, 2015, 11:37:38 AM
Ugly? Yes.
Unusual? Yes.
Cause of crashes? No.

(And most of the other interchanges are fine)
I'm just being sarcastic, didn't mean anyone to take it literally.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.