News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highest speed limit that you have seen while on the road.

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 18, 2019, 04:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What speed limit?

85 mph
24 (17.3%)
80 mph
51 (36.7%)
75 mph
37 (26.6%)
70 mph
22 (15.8%)
65 mph
0 (0%)
60 mph
0 (0%)
55 mph
0 (0%)
50 or bellow mph
5 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 139

US 89

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 24, 2019, 04:55:05 PM
I've never seen "kph" anywhere because there's no such thing.

It's for "klicks per hour".  :)

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on March 25, 2019, 02:23:21 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 24, 2019, 04:55:05 PM
I've never seen "kph" anywhere because there's no such thing.
It's for "klicks per hour".  :)

"Klicks" makes me want to vomit. (I've also heard "klickers" - not sure which is worse!)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on March 25, 2019, 09:48:59 PM
(I've also heard "klickers" - not sure which is worse!)

That's the thing I use to change the channel on the television.

mrose

75 in Colorado and Nebraska and 110 km/hr in rural Victoria, Australia.

I have been to Texas but nowhere where there is an 80 limit.

X99

Don't know if this fits, but I heard somewhere that US 66 was originally planned to be an Autobahn-style highway with a 100 mph speed limit. Two corners on the south end of the Veterans Parkway in Bloomington, Illinois, were built to handle 100-mph traffic.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

skluth

Quote from: X99 on March 26, 2019, 01:10:14 PM
Don't know if this fits, but I heard somewhere that US 66 was originally planned to be an Autobahn-style highway with a 100 mph speed limit. Two corners on the south end of the Veterans Parkway in Bloomington, Illinois, were built to handle 100-mph traffic.

Not originally. The US highway network predates the autobahn and the concept of freeways. It would not surprise me if IDOT (or whatever it was called post-WWII) wanted to convert US 66 to some sort of autobahn-style road before the interstate network was approved in 1956, given that highway's importance to the Illinois economy. Eisenhower wasn't the only person impressed with the first German autobahns.

The old four-lane segments of US 66 in Illinois have a lot of beautiful broad curves besides Bloomington. The old US 66 bypasses of Lincoln, Pontiac, Litchfield and other communities can also handle high speed traffic. 

Thunderbyrd316

I got to drive on the "Montanabahn" in October, 1997. And it was not just freeways that were "derestricted" but most rural 2 lane state highways as well. I drove I-90 to Missoula and then the next day went up 93 to Kalispell and Whitefish, then back down US 2 to Spokane and spent that night there. (Since I was a bit unclear at the time what they would consider "reasonable and prudent" I chose to keep to 70 - 75 on I-90 and about 65 on the 2 lanes, except a couple of times when it started raining when I slowed to 55.) In the short time I was there I only saw 2 vehicles which were "abusing" the "R&P" standard and both were "company" pickups and both had Idaho plates. (Not the same company though.)

I have been on a lot of 75 routes since but have not made it back to any of the ones later increased to 80 yet. I just have not had any reason to go back to Idaho, Montana or Utah, etc. in recent years. I am thinking of going over to Idaho or Montana later this year just so I can say I have been on an 80 m.p.h. highway.

thspfc

GMoney0805

The highest speed limit I've seen in person is 80 MPH on I-29 in South Dakota.

To break it down:
Freeway/Interstate: 80 MPH on I-29 in South Dakota
Expressway with intersections: 70 MPH on US-83 and ND-13 in North Dakota
Two-laner: 65 MPH on various US and State Routes in North Dakota and South Dakota

Roadgeekteen

Mine has changed, it is now 75 on I-95 between Old Town and Houlton.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

In America the highest I've seen is 80 but I've been on the German Autobahn where the advised speed limit is 130 km/h which is... 81 mph.

J N Winkler

I've driven on segments of I-80 in Wyoming and I-84 in Idaho that were subject to 80 limits.  I have ridden, but have not driven, on segments of German Autobahn that were derestricted and on French autoroutes on clear dry days, when a 130 km/h limit applies (going down to 110 km/h in rain).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 04, 2019, 11:24:57 AM
I've driven on segments of I-80 in Wyoming and I-84 in Idaho that were subject to 80 limits.

I-90 in South Dakota also has an 80 mph limit.

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 04, 2019, 11:24:57 AM
I have ridden, but have not driven, on segments of German Autobahn that were derestricted and on French autoroutes on clear dry days, when a 130 km/h limit applies (going down to 110 km/h in rain).

130 km/h roughly translates to 80 mph, which is high by our standards, but actually doesn't seem that high for Europe. Pretty much any freeway in Ontario has traffic routinely moving at 140-150 km/h despite the 100 km/h limit.

Buck87

Mine has recently changed to 80 mph, on parts of I-80 in Wyoming, Utah and Nevada

hotdogPi

155 for me. Someone spray painted a 1 on a 55 mph sign, but it's gone now.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ipeters61

Quote from: 1 on September 04, 2019, 12:18:49 PM
155 for me. Someone spray painted a 1 on a 55 mph sign, but it's gone now.
Damn it.  I saw a Speed Limit 151 this weekend (on a 5mph sign).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Big John

JoePCool14

Highest on a freeway was 75 MPH on US-131 up north in Michigan. Highest on a non-freeway would be 65 MPH on several state routes in northern Michigan.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

StogieGuy7

For me, the highest limit on a freeway I've driven on was 130 km/h on a couple of different autopistas outside of Buenos Aires, Argentina.  They also had variable speed limits that varied by lane - far right lane was 80, middle lanes were 100/110 and the farthest left was 130 (iirc).

Mark68

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

cpzilliacus

130 km/h on E18 in Finland (but now I believe the highest allowed there is 120 km/h now) and 80 MPH on I-15 in Utah.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jakeroot

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 11, 2019, 06:40:16 AM
130 km/h on E18 in Finland (but now I believe the highest allowed there is 120 km/h now) and 80 MPH on I-15 in Utah.

I can't find much information on this old limit. About what time frame were you in Finland?

webny99

It just got a little easier (for most of us, anyways) to see 110 km/h!

110 is now posted on 3 Ontario highways: A segment of the QEW, ON 402, and most of ON 417.

Obviously, 110 km/h isn't technically the highest speed most of us have seen (it translates to about 68 mph). But, numerically, it is certainly the highest speed limit that I have seen while on the road.

And, it is certainly conceivable that someone from Ontario has never seen a limit higher than that; especially if they don't travel much, given that NY and much of New England don't have limits higher than 65 mph. Heck, if I hadn't been west of Erie, PA, 110 km/h would be the outright highest speed limit (in terms of speed) that I have seen too!

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2019, 12:22:29 PM
And, it is certainly conceivable that someone from Ontario has never seen a limit higher than that; especially if they don't travel much, given that NY and much of New England don't have limits higher than 65 mph. Heck, if I hadn't been west of Erie, PA, 110 km/h would be the outright highest speed limit (in terms of speed) that I have seen too!
What about the northern portion of US 15 in PA?  Or I-476?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.