News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2014?

Started by hbelkins, December 04, 2013, 11:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldlee11

Are you all planning any future meets in Wytheville, Va Gallipolis, Oh. or Ashland Ky, Huntington W. Va. areas in 2014? If you are let me know and I will try to come to any future meet in either of these areas.

hbelkins

I'm certainly not planning anything in the Huntington/Ashland area any time soon. Not a lot left to see in that area as of now that we didn't cover back in the spring. If any work gets started on finishing the OH 7 bypass of Chesapeake and Proctorville, or construction on US 52 south of WV 75, or the extension of KY 67 back toward Lawrence County that's currently under study, then I'd be amenable to doing another meet.

Once West Virginia starts construction on the remaining section of US 35, if it ever does, a Gallipolis/Point Pleasant meet might be do-able.

Not sure there's enough in Wytheville to center a meet on.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteWhat transportation assets would be on your D.C.-area list?

Primary focus would be an 11th St Bridge follow-up (since Phase 2 wasn't in the cards yet during the last meet) and easily-accessible I-95 HOT lane construction (focusing mostly on Newington).  As HB noted, we've already covered the ICC, Beltway HO/T lanes, and the Silver Line.

SSOWorld

Well I might as well go all out and say it.  What meets I attend are quite unknown at this time, but I know I have no plans to organize any.  Time off is now at a premium for me.  Which meets I attend will depend on the where I land after job hunting.  No, I'm not unemployed - but I'm finding my current situation less satisfying because of the way the company's being run.  To find a new job will definitely involve relocation and - honestly, I'd like to get out of the Midwest as well (no offense, but I'm adventurous).  I'm scanning the east coast, but I might "end-up" on the west coast because that's where all the jobs in my field are.

So...

tl:dr;

It's a wait and see situation.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

I'm thinking I might be able to host Corning/Elmira if I have my parents pay for it as a birthday gift.

The downside: my birthday is March 19, and the meet schedule for that time of year is already full.  I'd pretty much have to do it March 15 and conflict with St. Louis.  Not sure what to do at this point.

EDIT: Perhaps April 5?  That's not too far off, and doesn't appear to be taken yet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

April 5 would probably work out good, me personally I will not be able to make it but I am sure others will. :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Dougtone

Quote from: vdeane on January 31, 2014, 10:20:44 PM
I'm thinking I might be able to host Corning/Elmira if I have my parents pay for it as a birthday gift.

The downside: my birthday is March 19, and the meet schedule for that time of year is already full.  I'd pretty much have to do it March 15 and conflict with St. Louis.  Not sure what to do at this point.

EDIT: Perhaps April 5?  That's not too far off, and doesn't appear to be taken yet.

I'd shoot for April for the meet, because there's a greater chance of better weather than in March (even though we all know that weather in Upstate NY can still be unpredictable in early April).

ronaldlee11

Is anyone planning a road meet in Kentucky ohio or west Virginia in the future?

hbelkins

Quote from: ronaldlee11 on February 04, 2014, 10:46:01 AM
Is anyone planning a road meet in Kentucky ohio or west Virginia in the future?

Haven't we been down this road before?

I had toyed with the idea of doing a Lexington/Central Kentucky meet this year, but it doesn't look like the projects I was interested in looking at (widening of the northwestern portion of KY 4/New Circle Road, construction of a DDI at KY 4/US 421, Newtown Pike extension to US 68) will be far enough along this year to be meet-worthy. I may have to put that off until next year.

I think a meet could successfully be arranged around the Louisville bridges project. I will be in Louisville later this month but won't have enough time to scout the meet. I may get a chance when I am back there for work in June.

I know of nothing in the western or southern part of West Virginia that would be meet-worthy. The only projects I know of are the I-64 widening project near Huntington and the WV 10 project between Logan and Man, neither of which are enough to build a meet on.

I'm not sure who will be organizing the annual Ohio meet this year, but I'm sure it will be posted somewhere.

EDIT: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11204.0 covers this pretty well.

Roadgeek Adam

I am going to likely be in Macomb IL on the 20th of June and probably still in the area on the 21st, which is a Saturday.

There are some interesting stuff in Quincy nearby and some in Macomb, both are too far apart to be to be one meet.

Are there people who would be interested? It's a bit close to the NYC National Meet, but I assume not everyone is going to it.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SSOWorld

I will likely be on the way to NYC or close to it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2014, 01:24:22 PM
I'm not sure who will be organizing the annual Ohio meet this year, but I'm sure it will be posted somewhere.

Sandor Gulyas mentioned something on Facebook about the possibility that he may host something in the Columbus area on May 3 - focusing on different things that were not included as part of the 2011 tour he hosted.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 23, 2014, 03:35:56 PM
Sandor Gulyas mentioned something on Facebook about the possibility that he may host something in the Columbus area on May 3 - focusing on different things that were not included as part of the 2011 tour he hosted.

He blocked me on Facebook for some unknown reason, so hopefully that info will be posted elsewhere.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on February 23, 2014, 04:18:45 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 23, 2014, 03:35:56 PM

He blocked me on Facebook for some unknown reason, so hopefully that info will be posted elsewhere.

That's weird. I won't hold my breath for this meet to actually happen, but if he does end up hosting it, I think I'll try to go. Columbus is a neat city.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

I've never attended a Columbus meet. The first one that I can remember, I was sick and decided not to go. (That was the one that was plagued by a thunderstorm). The most recent one, I went to a Kansas meet on the same day instead.

ronaldlee11

Will there be a meet in Lexington or Louisville Ky, or Cincinnati Columbus Dayton this year?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: ronaldlee11 on February 26, 2014, 11:51:11 AM
Will there be a meet in Lexington or Louisville Ky, or Cincinnati Columbus Dayton this year?

See the above comments for the discussion of Columbus. There's a possibility but nothing set in stone for that. The last Columbus meet was June 2011. The most recent Dayton meet was in June 2012, and then Cincinnati was just a few months ago (October 2013).
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: ronaldlee11 on February 26, 2014, 11:51:11 AM

There may be one in Louisville. I'd thought about a Lexington area meet this year, but the projects I have in mind to see probably won't be in full swing until next year.

Also possible for next year -- a western Kentucky meet, since replacement of the Eggner's Ferry Bridge will be well underway and the conversion of the WK/Pennyrile interchange should be in progress by then as well.

Dougtone

I don't anticipate hosting a meet this year, but I will see if anything may be feasible in New York or New England this fall.  I do want to host a meet related to the new Tappan Zee Bridge construction, but I've pegged that for a 2015.

SCH-I545

bugo

I got my driver's license at age 14.

Laura

I'd like to do a Baltimore meet once the I-95 express toll lanes open in "late 2014". (Last Baltimore meet was hosted by Steve in 2010.) I have a few other meet ideas, but I want to get through Delmarva before I seriously start planning other future meets!

bugo

Forget NYC.  The Saint Louis meet is the official 2014 national meet.  Most of the big players will be there.  This will be a once in a lifetime experience.

Laura

Quote from: bugo on February 26, 2014, 11:07:11 PM
Forget NYC.  The Saint Louis meet is the official 2014 national meet.  Most of the big players will be there.  This will be a once in a lifetime experience.

I love how this happened organically, too. I still think NYC will be important, but St. Louis has definitely become the national meet of the year.

iPhone

jpi

I am starting to agree on St Louis, very much looking forward to that weekend, and for me it kicks off seeing Billy Joel live in Nashville Friday night before the meet :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on February 26, 2014, 04:03:04 PM
I don't anticipate hosting a meet this year, but I will see if anything may be feasible in New York or New England this fall.  I do want to host a meet related to the new Tappan Zee Bridge construction, but I've pegged that for a 2015.

I... know people. A lot of people. I couldn't get much going on the Turnpike widening, but I might have more luck trying to arrange something on the Tap.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.