News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

August 7 Providence Road Meet

Started by Alps, June 22, 2010, 09:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

The next East Coast meet - and this time, the restaurant will be done in less than three hours!  Hope to see you all there.  Itinerary includes new I-195, US 6/I-295 stub, RI 10 loop, RI 403, and a couple of surprises along the way!  After-meet includes PawSox minor league baseball game.

Meet location:  12:00 pm, Gregg's Restaurant and Pub
1303 North Main Street (US 1), Providence, RI

(From the north, take I-95 SB to Exit 27, turn left, and bear right to stay on US 1/Pawtucket Ave.  Restaurant is about a mile on the left.)
(From the west/south, take I-95 NB to Exit 25A-B, and take Exit 25A to the right for US 1/North Main.  Make a left on 1 and the restaurant is shortly ahead on the right.)

Please RSVP via email to webmaster@alpsroads.net so I can put together a head count!

Dougtone

Will there be big map giveaways of unspeakable value?  Regardless, I am planning on attending.

froggie

Not this time.  At least not from me, since it'll pretty much take an Act of Congress for me to pull getting to this one...

Roadgeek Adam

An important reason I want to come to this meet, is one: My step-grandfather is buried off of RI 138 and I want to see some old stomping grounds in Washington (South) County.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Ian

I sure hope I can make it to the meet, but there is about a 60% of me not attending. It all depends on if I could stay with my grandparents up in Wellesley, MA.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

I'm doubtful for this one. Providence is a two-day drive (or a very long one-day drive) and little of the trip would be new territory. Plus, I have to be in Louisville on the Tuesday following the meet for a three-day conference, and the drive from Providence to Louisville would most likely involve driving (yuck) much of I-71 (blech) in Ohio.

As much as I'd like to get back to the northeast after my trip up there last fall, most likely not this time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

I'll see what I can do for a goody bag.

Dougtone

Quote from: AlpsROADS on June 23, 2010, 09:22:02 PM
I'll see what I can do for a goody bag.

A buffet table of maps may work out like it did in Philly.  There may be enough giveaways for people to pick and choose.  I may even try to grab some VT maps this time.

hbelkins

Upon further review, I'm definitely out on this one. The first weekend of August is the US 127 yard sale weekend, and my wife always hits that, so someone has to stay home and take care of the critters.

yanksfan6129

I'm going to try to get to this one. We'll see what happens...
I'll let you know for sure ASAP

Alps

Still only have a couple of RSVPs, will send out another call in two weeks or so.

Alps

Reminder that the Providence Meet is coming up in less than two weeks!  If you haven't RSVPed, please let me know if you're coming (or probably coming) by next Tuesday so that I can call a head count into the restaurant.  Please email me directly at my account (use my userinfo or send me a private message on the forum).

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on July 26, 2010, 09:57:06 PM
Reminder that the Providence Meet is coming up in less than two weeks!  If you haven't RSVPed, please let me know if you're coming (or probably coming) by next Tuesday so that I can call a head count into the restaurant.  Please email me directly at my account (use my userinfo or send me a private message on the forum).

Wish I could. But I can't. You all have fun.

Alps

Looks like a 10-person meet or so.  I'll call it in - see you there!  (If you haven't RSVPed, please show up anyway.)

hbelkins

Wanna hear something ironic? My brother is in the Providence area this weekend on business. Maybe I'll send him to the meet in my stead.

yakra

Well. Google Maps projects just under 3 hrs down from Portland. Any traffic advisories I should beware of for a Sat. AM, particularly in the Boston/Biggus Diggus area?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2010, 12:53:23 PM
Wanna hear something ironic? My brother is in the Providence area this weekend on business. Maybe I'll send him to the meet in my stead.

Sure, why not.  I'm sure your brother would have some stories to tell about you.

SSOWorld

Quote from: yakra on August 06, 2010, 08:25:06 PM
Well. Google Maps projects just under 3 hrs down from Portland. Any traffic advisories I should beware of for a Sat. AM, particularly in the Boston/Biggus Diggus area?
Come in early - and take 95 around Boston.  I got stuck in rush hour in the Dig this evening.  One can die of CO poisoning in there.  It's weekend so I would think the traffic would be light until 11:00 or noon.  I have XM in my car and I tune to the Boston instant traffic channel on the way in so I knew it was coming - but I had to clinch I-93 so I braved it.  It did give me the opportunity to gaze at the Zakim bridge in awe. :happy:

As a note: I await the meet near Fall River after coming up into your territory this afternoon.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

MDRoads

Quote from: Master son on August 06, 2010, 09:02:27 PM
As a note: I await the meet near Fall River after coming up into your territory this afternoon.

Hope to swing by there (if it doesn't end up part of the meet) for the new US 6 bridge and much older MA 79 triple viaduct.

SSOWorld

I should check it out tomorrow morning.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Ian

I am so mad I couldn't have been able to make it. :banghead: Ah well, you guys have a good time!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

oscar

Here's my photo of most of the meet group, in front of the new I-195 bridge in Providence.  Sorry for the people in the back coming out smaller than the people in front, I couldn't get the camera far enough back from the group to even things up.  Also, since I'm on my way out of town for a long weekend, could someone help out with the captioning?  (Front row includes me in the green shirt, Mike Pruett in the orange shirt, Steve Alpert kneeling, and Steve Anderson in the blue shirt.  Mike Tantillo in the red shirt is one of the folks in the back, and Doug Kerr is to his right.  I'm drawing a blank at the moment for the others, except screen names for some of them.)

Did anybody else get a better photo?  I just found out that autofocus was turned off on my camera for the shot, so another photo might be sharper.

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

Here, let's set it up as a fill-in-the-blanks operation.

In Front: Oscar Voss, Scott Onson, Mike Pruett, Steve Alpert, Steve Anderson
Behind: ______, ______, Mike Tantillo, Doug Kerr, Anthony Costanzo, ______

The first dude in the back is Alps' friend, the second is yakra. The last guy, this was his first meet... I think his name might have been Zack, but I'm not 100% sure.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Truvelo

It would help us foreigners who've never been to a US meet if the username of each person could be shown as well as their real name.
Speed limits limit life

SSOWorld

Quote from: Duke87 on August 12, 2010, 10:42:48 AM
Here, let's set it up as a fill-in-the-blanks operation.

In Front: Oscar Voss (oscar), Scott Onson (Master son), Mike Pruett (?), Steve Alpert (?), Steve Anderson (?)
Behind: ______, ______, Mike Tantillo (?), Doug Kerr (?), Anthony Costanzo (?), ______

The first dude in the back is Alps' friend, the second is yakra. The last guy, this was his first meet... I think his name might have been Zack, but I'm not 100% sure.
as modified in quote.  Some of them may likely not have an AARoads account

EDIT: I intentionlly left those I know off and they can add their own names as they wish - Oscar already revealed himself above.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.