News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on August 17, 2011, 08:43:49 PM
Not so much uncomfortable driving on bridges as stopping on bridges.  This may have to do with the fact I grew up in/live in a city where 6 out of 7 bridges across the major river in town tend to move when barges and boats approach.  Hence I don't like stopping on a bridge a bridge over water, any bridge over water, period.
With you on that. Especially on steel grates and drawbridges, I try to inch over the line to get off that bridge. Especially given the current state of our infrastructure.

SteveG1988

The Centerton Road bridge can be both scary, and neat depending on the weather, for example when there is ice on the creek it is kind of neat seeing it from the low crossing.
It is a 1989 swing span that got a 6 on its bridge survey.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.997983,-74.872341&spn=0.00863,0.013797&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=39.998062,-74.872296&panoid=RlNojLxD3W7AIigsWLveDA&cbp=12,198.27,,0,3.5

http://uglybridges.com/1364387
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

bassoon1986

Definitely agree with Interstate 10 in Lake Charles, LA.

Also the old LA 2 bridge in Sterlington, LA. It was narrow and I always seemed to pass the same time as an 18 wheeler or a redneck truck haha

There was also the one time I went across the LA 91 bridge near Estherwood, LA on a charter bus!!  The bridge was nearly floating on the water anyway from a lot of rain, but I know water splashed across the bridge as we lumbered over...
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=30.197737,-92.463427&spn=0.014688,0.033023&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=30.197819,-92.463422&panoid=e5NWhbqflbcEphusEpQF6g&cbp=12,31.348930000000053,,0,0

jwolfer

Quote from: Lightning Strike on August 16, 2011, 09:13:05 PM
Agree with the bridge over the Susquehanna River in MD on I-95, what makes it a little more un-nerving is the big sign before you get on that says "Caution Area of Crossover Winds"

My mom was always scared of that bridge.  We used to drive 2 or 3 time a year from NJ to visit my moms family in Jacksonville.  So we drove that bridge  probably 75 to 80 times.  Its funny because looking at it its not real imposing like the Bay Bridge or Del Mem Br (SIC  thanks NJ).  I think the lane width  and i seem to remember some fluorescent type lights on top of the guard rails... that could be a false memory

D-Dey65

Quote from: jwolfer on August 24, 2011, 10:10:15 AM
My mom was always scared of that bridge.  We used to drive 2 or 3 time a year from NJ to visit my moms family in Jacksonville.  So we drove that bridge  probably 75 to 80 times.  Its funny because looking at it its not real imposing like the Bay Bridge or Del Mem Br (SIC  thanks NJ).  I think the lane width  and i seem to remember some fluorescent type lights on top of the guard rails... that could be a false memory

I think I'd actually prefer a more imposing bridge like the Delaware Memorial. At least you know you have side protection, and at least you can see what's holding it up. You have the same thing with both bridges across Arthur Kill, but they're both narrow little pre-Interstate rickety things. If I had to choose between the Goethals Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing, I'd take the Outerbridge Crossing. The Tydings scares me a little more now after the quake.

Here's the ironic thing; The Queens-Midtown Expressway between the tunnel and the BQE is over 106' high, and it doesn't scare me at all.

DeaconG

Quote from: jwolfer on August 24, 2011, 10:10:15 AM
Quote from: Lightning Strike on August 16, 2011, 09:13:05 PM
Agree with the bridge over the Susquehanna River in MD on I-95, what makes it a little more un-nerving is the big sign before you get on that says "Caution Area of Crossover Winds"

If she'd seen it from the Hatem Bridge she'd never EVER get on it again.  I did once during a bus trip home to Philly years ago and I freaked out completely-the bridge supports look like NOTHING. :wow: :-o  Gah!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

D-Dey65

Quote from: DeaconG on August 28, 2011, 09:16:11 AMIf she'd seen it from the Hatem Bridge she'd never EVER get on it again.  I did once during a bus trip home to Philly years ago and I freaked out completely-the bridge supports look like NOTHING. :wow: :-o  Gah!
I've seen it from the Hatem bridge, and it had the exact opposite effect on me. Go figure.

Still, perhaps the police departments in Harford and Cecil Counties who go after drivers for shunpiking might consider the possibility that drivers might go around the bridge because they're scared of it.

vdeane

It's illegal to go around tolls using completely legal roads?  I don't see how that could hold up in court.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rick1962

The old ASB Bridge in Kansas City.

The original lanes inside the trusses, while narrow, weren't too bad.

It was the "outrigger" lanes that had been grafted on outside the trusses that were scary!

Duke87

Quote from: deanej on August 31, 2011, 11:17:55 AM
It's illegal to go around tolls using completely legal roads?  I don't see how that could hold up in court.

I presume that what happens is the cops hang out on the shunpike and chase out of state plates for speeding or whatever, rather than literally giving a ticket for "illegal shunpiking".

This of course is for cars. Many states require trucks to stick to the NHS except for travel at the beginning and end of the trip or as necessary to stop for services, so for truckers shunpiking may, in fact, be illegal.

--------------------------

I have never driven over a bridge that "freaked me out". Though, the Wheeling Suspension Bridge came close. I swear, that thing moves.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadgeek Adam

I have a pretty bad fear of heights, so ironically, bridges like the Outerbridge Crossing, the George Washington and the Verrazanno cause me more problems than say something like the Pond Eddy Bridge or the Kellam's Bridge.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Darkchylde

There's a bridge on I-10 east of the greater Houston area. Two lanes each way, steep climb, no shoulders, and the guardrail looks like it couldn't hold up to a pedestrian. Can't remember the name of it now.

Give me the Huey or the I-10 bridge in Lake Charles any day compared to that one!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Darkangel on September 01, 2011, 03:30:53 AM
There's a bridge on I-10 east of the greater Houston area. Two lanes each way, steep climb, no shoulders, and the guardrail looks like it couldn't hold up to a pedestrian. Can't remember the name of it now.

Give me the Huey or the I-10 bridge in Lake Charles any day compared to that one!

Trinity River crossing (east of Houston) or Sabine River crossing (Tx-La border)?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Darkchylde

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 02, 2011, 12:01:30 AM

Trinity River crossing (east of Houston) or Sabine River crossing (Tx-La border)?
Trinity River crossing, that's it. The Sabine River bridge is wide enough for me not to worry about it.

froggie

The Sabine River Crossing has been widened in recent years and can be striped for 6 lanes plus shoulders when the adjacent sections of I-10 get widened.

Anthony_JK

The Trinity River Bridge....and it's being upgraded to six lanes with a less steep gradient.

The I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge used to scare the hell out of me when I was young...but not now. The Fort Buhlow bridge in Alexandria/Pineville was no joke, either.

Anthony

bassoon1986

Quote from: Anthony_JK on September 03, 2011, 01:02:06 PM

The Trinity River Bridge....and it's being upgraded to six lanes with a less steep gradient.

The I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge used to scare the hell out of me when I was young...but not now. The Fort Buhlow bridge in Alexandria/Pineville was no joke, either.

Anthony

Fort Buhlow (actually O.K. Allen) bridge is super freaky even in my sedan...i can't imagine a large truck or SUV going across. They are rebuilding it right now for 4 lanes, I can't wait! I'll take pictures next time I'm home visiting family

Coelacanth

For me it was the old Lake Street Bridge in Minneapolis (well, and St Paul, obviously). We lived about 6 blocks from it and drove across frequently. We often reviewed the "what to do when the car hits the water" procedures.

The old Lowry Ave Bridge was also scary in wet weather. The open metal grate driving surface was never confidence-inspiring in the best of conditions, but in the rain it was like driving on an ice rink.

I never actually got up the courage to drive across the old St Paul High Bridge.

The old Sunshine Skyway used to terrify me also.

Fortunately all of the above have been replaced.

Alps

New answer: Ogdensburg—Prescott International Bridge. Steel grating the whole way. Traffic light at the top for one-way traffic during construction. I was stopped for over a minute on a steel grating and it started to shake. I was ready to run out of my car and jump over just to get off that thing.

cu2010

Quote from: Steve on September 11, 2011, 11:02:21 PM
New answer: Ogdensburg—Prescott International Bridge. Steel grating the whole way. Traffic light at the top for one-way traffic during construction. I was stopped for over a minute on a steel grating and it started to shake. I was ready to run out of my car and jump over just to get off that thing.

I've been over that bridge about a hundred times and was never scared...of course, that was before the construction on the bridge now...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: bassoon1986 on September 06, 2011, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on September 03, 2011, 01:02:06 PM

Anthony

Fort Buhlow (actually O.K. Allen) bridge is super freaky even in my sedan...i can't imagine a large truck or SUV going across. They are rebuilding it right now for 4 lanes, I can't wait! I'll take pictures next time I'm home visiting family

I forgot one other bridge that would absolutely scare me while it was there: before they replaced it with a more modern span in the 1980's, the eastbound US 190 bridge across the Atchafalaya River was pure HELL. Like most of the Huey Long-era built K-truss bridges, it had a steep gradient and no shoulders. No one was happier than I when they replaced it.

Anthony

Duke87

I believe someone mentioned the Queensboro Bridge outer roadway.

Well, I filmed it.

It is indeed "fun".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Sanctimoniously

Louisiana bridges in general scare me, especially the high-level crossings, like the I-20 Ouachita River bridge (especially with its sharp S-curve on the Monroe side with no shoulders and no acceleration lanes) and the high span of the I-55 Manchac Swamp bridge. With that one, you see the almost vertical-looking rise of the US 51 bridge well before the I-55 one and that freaked me out a little the first time I drove it.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

1995hoo

Quote from: The Situation™ on September 11, 2011, 11:02:21 PM

If you don't like steel grating, don't drive over the Pont Victoria in Montreal.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Duke87 on January 07, 2012, 08:05:39 PM
I believe someone mentioned the Queensboro Bridge outer roadway.

Well, I filmed it.

It is indeed "fun".

Holy crap. Never in a million years would I want to drive on that.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.