News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida's Going Big on Echelon Intersections

Started by kernals12, October 25, 2020, 12:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

An Echelon Intersection uses grade seperation to split the movements at a signalized intersection into two. This allows traffic lights on each intersection to operate with fewer phases and increases throughput. Until 2000, the only one in existence in the world was located in Aventura, Florida between US 1 and 203rd Street. But now, that number is set to increase by 400%. As part of the improvements planned to I-4 near Orlando, the FDOT is planning to build 4 echelons: 2 on Route 535 at Vineland and Hotel Plaza Boulevard and 2 on Route 27 where the I-4 ramps terminate.

I imagine that Florida is about to get a signature intersection design, just like the Michigan Left, the Jersey Jughandle, or the Texas U-Turn.

Max Rockatansky

Well that explains where my Hotel Plaza/FL 535 sign came from then. 

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2020, 01:04:26 AM
Well that explains where my Hotel Plaza/FL 535 sign came from then.
What are you talking about?

edwaleni

This was proposed by FDOT for both the FL-202/Philips Highway(US-1) intersection and for awhile was also floated as part of the Southside Boulevard(FL-115)/Baymeadows(FL-152) intersection as part of that "Better Jacksonville Plan" from 2003.

Neither one was built.

Max Rockatansky

RoadPelican

I really wish FDOT would build something like this in East Orlando.  The intersections of Alafaya Trail and East Colonial Drive as well as Alafaya and University Blvd are in dire need of some kind of Echelon Intersection or a full blown interchange.

formulanone

Then there's this multi-echelon beauty / monstrosity over SR 84 and I-95 in Fort Lauderdale:

kernals12

Quote from: formulanone on October 26, 2020, 10:25:14 AM
Then there's this multi-echelon beauty / monstrosity over SR 84 and I-95 in Fort Lauderdale:

That doesn't count. The overpasses aren't signalized.

froggie

Quote from: kernals12That doesn't count. The overpasses aren't signalized.

Actually, they are...

mapman

That looks like a grade-separated mash-up of a SPUI and Kurumi's volleyball interchange.   :-o

Avalanchez71

Quote from: RoadPelican on October 26, 2020, 10:02:11 AM
I really wish FDOT would build something like this in East Orlando.  The intersections of Alafaya Trail and East Colonial Drive as well as Alafaya and University Blvd are in dire need of some kind of Echelon Intersection or a full blown interchange.

it wasn't that long ago that the OBJ was two lanes and there was country between Orlando and Kissimmee.

architect77

Quote from: kernals12 on October 25, 2020, 12:55:27 AM

An Echelon Intersection uses grade seperation to split the movements at a signalized intersection into two. This allows traffic lights on each intersection to operate with fewer phases and increases throughput. Until 2000, the only one in existence in the world was located in Aventura, Florida between US 1 and 203rd Street. But now, that number is set to increase by 400%. As part of the improvements planned to I-4 near Orlando, the FDOT is planning to build 4 echelons: 2 on Route 535 at Vineland and Hotel Plaza Boulevard and 2 on Route 27 where the I-4 ramps terminate.

I imagine that Florida is about to get a signature intersection design, just like the Michigan Left, the Jersey Jughandle, or the Texas U-Turn.

So basically this is just elevating the left turn that's most in demand above everything else to operate more independently. Correct?

Is this only helping that one protected left turn's throughput? I don't see any other directions getting helped other than not having to wait for this left turn phase anymore.

kernals12

Quote from: architect77 on November 13, 2020, 06:34:20 PM

So basically this is just elevating the left turn that's most in demand above everything else to operate more independently. Correct?

Is this only helping that one protected left turn's throughput? I don't see any other directions getting helped other than not having to wait for this left turn phase anymore.

But that is a very big improvement. Left turn phases are a traffic nightmare.

architect77

Quote from: kernals12 on November 21, 2020, 04:26:16 PM

I agree and I don't think they should be part of new intersections anymore. That left can be completed with several other accomodations that  don't keep every direction waiting for 30 seconds just for one protected left to complete.

Michigan lefts, Jersey Jughandles and NC Superstreets are good alternatives.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kernals12

Quote from: architect77 on November 21, 2020, 07:23:56 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on November 21, 2020, 04:26:16 PM

I agree and I don't think they should be part of new intersections anymore. That left can be completed with several other accomodations that  don't keep every direction waiting for 30 seconds just for one protected left to complete.

Michigan lefts, Jersey Jughandles and NC Superstreets are good alternatives.

Those require more right of way.

democratic nole

What an utter monstrosity. Going to be fun seeing a pedestrian get through that intersection. If FDOT is going to spend this kind of money, they need to build a full freeway like interchange with an SPUI, not this.

hotdogPi

Quote from: democratic nole on December 20, 2020, 08:38:02 PM

What an utter monstrosity. Going to be fun seeing a pedestrian get through that intersection. If FDOT is going to spend this kind of money, they need to build a full freeway like interchange with an SPUI, not this.

I don't see the issue with pedestrians. They only have to cross one direction at a time, at least in the configuration you quoted.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

kernals12

Pedestrians would have to cross fewer lanes of traffic. And this intersection is partially a freeway off ramp already, so it'd be odd to put a SPUI there.

democratic nole

Quote from: 1 on December 20, 2020, 08:40:13 PM

I don't see the issue with pedestrians. They only have to cross one direction at a time, at least in the configuration you quoted.
The pedestrian issue is minor, but generally an intersection like this will reduce the options the pedestrian has for getting across the intersection. Let's say pedestrian was walking on the NW side of the screen there by the lake. To get to the NE side of the intersection, he has to cross south across the ramp (assuming its permitted), then across Apopka-Vineland, then across Vineland EB, then across the right turn lanes to get where he's going. The SPUI is bit preferable in regard to pedestrian movement.

kernals12

Quote from: democratic nole on December 20, 2020, 09:47:18 PM

The pedestrian issue is minor, but generally an intersection like this will reduce the options the pedestrian has for getting across the intersection. Let's say pedestrian was walking on the NW side of the screen there by the lake. To get to the NE side of the intersection, he has to cross south across the ramp (assuming its permitted), then across Apopka-Vineland, then across Vineland EB, then across the right turn lanes to get where he's going. The SPUI is bit preferable in regard to pedestrian movement.

But a SPUI would probably cost more.

democratic nole

Quote from: kernals12 on December 20, 2020, 10:07:52 PM
Quote from: democratic nole on December 20, 2020, 09:47:18 PM

But a SPUI would probably cost more.
Yes, but this state has got to start taking a wholistic look at costs when building roads. If it continues to always cut costs and corners upfront, it will pay more in the long run, as it has done from a whole host of issues to freeways, traffic signals, pedestrian facilities, etc.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: democratic nole on December 20, 2020, 09:47:18 PMThe pedestrian issue is minor, but generally an intersection like this will reduce the options the pedestrian has for getting across the intersection. Let's say pedestrian was walking on the NW side of the screen there by the lake. To get to the NE side of the intersection, he has to cross south across the ramp (assuming its permitted), then across Apopka-Vineland, then across Vineland EB, then across the right turn lanes to get where he's going. The SPUI is bit preferable in regard to pedestrian movement.

The approach from the west is (as labeled in the image) an offramp from I-4. There should not be any pedestrians walking along an offramp. This is actually a significant improvement in pedestrian infrastructure compared to what is there already, as the existing configuration does not include any pedestrian crossing of SR 535.

Creative designs like this can either make pedestrian accommodations better or worse, depending on the context. Which is why these designs are context-specific. There are situations where they are and are not appropriate.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Discussion of Center Turn Overpass has been moved to https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28209.0.

codyg1985

Supposedly one of these intersections is in the works in Tuscaloosa, AL for US 82 (McFarland Blvd) and US 11 (Skyland Blvd), but I have not heard much about it lately. This article from 2017 was the last time it was mentioned.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.