News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Batch-check GPS logs against a geofence

Started by J N Winkler, October 28, 2017, 05:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

For the past year, I have been GPS-logging all car trips (regardless of vehicle) as well as many trips by other modes, so I have a collection of about 700 logs that are all in GPX format.  Now I would like to analyze them to see how often I actually visit various places such as the library and the gym.

One logical way of doing this would be simply to define a geofence around each destination and then run a script to compare each GPX log to the fence to see whether the track overlaps the fenced area and, optionally, whether the overlap consists of multiple blocks of consecutive GPS trackpoints (i.e., whether the track records multiple separate visits to the destination).  However, I have been having trouble finding an off-the-shelf solution for this.  All that comes back in casual Google searches are code samples for real-time solutions that are designed to alert an user when the location service on his or her phone reports that he or she has entered one of several pre-defined geofences.

Can anyone help?  If nothing else, I can probably write a simple script to compare bare trackpoints to a square overlapping each destination, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if I can avoid it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.