News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I44/I235 Construction Update

Started by rte66man, July 20, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

http://newsok.com/interstate-44i-235-interchange-work-resumes-monday-in-oklahoma-city/article/3864126

Interstate44/I-235 interchange work resumes Monday
Most of the construction work will take place at night on the Interstate 44-Interstate 235/Broadway Extension interchange in Oklahoma City.
By Michael McNutt Modified: July 20, 2013 at 3:00 pm - Published: July 20, 2013

Motorists who use one of Oklahoma City's busiest interstate interchanges may want to give themselves more time to reach their destinations beginning next week.

Most of the construction will take place at night on the Interstate 44-Interstate 235/Broadway Extension interchange, according to the Oklahoma Transportation Department.

The construction mostly will affect eastbound motorists on I-44 who use the southbound exit to get on I-235 and westbound I-44 motorists who use the northbound exit to get on the Broadway Extension.

The project will replace the eastbound I-44 ramp to southbound I-235.

The new ramp will begin farther west on I-44 near Western Avenue and be tied into southbound I-235 farther south of the current ramp, near NW 50.

The work should be competed this spring.

It also includes work through August to lengthen and add a lane to the westbound I-44 ramp to Broadway Extension to help traffic flow.

The ramp is scheduled to be replaced in 2019.

Beginning Monday, the eastbound I-44 ramps to north- and southbound I-235 will close nightly from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. through July 27.

The right lane of eastbound I-44 will be closed between Western and I-235 throughout the project.

Other than the overnight ramp closures at the beginning of the project next week, the plan is to keep the eastbound I-44 ramp to southbound I-235 open throughout the majority of the project.

Also beginning Monday, the westbound I-44 ramp to northbound Broadway Extension, the northbound I-235 ramp to westbound I-44 and the right lane of northbound I-235 between I-44 and NW 63 will be closed nightly from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. through August.

The $9 million contract was awarded to Sherwood Construction of Catoosa, which includes incentives for early completion.

It's the second phase of a seven-part project to replace the 50-year-old interchange.

Total cost is estimated at $160 million and completion of the entire project is scheduled in 2019.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Next phase kicking off next week and the 88 million dollar phase 1 kicks off January.

https://ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=24382

Rendering of the interchange

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

I suppose this project will be pretty decent when it's finally finished several years from now. At the same time it's pretty annoying to see such a very slow, incremental timeline on what isn't really a very big interchange project. It's not like a four level or five level stack interchange that quite a few other states (like Texas) are able to build in three or four years. This interchange rebuild at I-44 & I-235 has been in "in progress" for years already. When is ODOT going to be allowed to rebuild the I-240 and I-35 interchange? 2030 or 2040? Ugh.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 19, 2016, 11:34:32 AM
When is ODOT going to be allowed to rebuild the I-240 and I-35 interchange? 2030 or 2040? Ugh.

It's actually under the first phase of construction right now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Is it possible at some point the city might come back and build the Santa Fe bridge? That would be welcomed by many I'm sure.

okc1

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 21, 2016, 05:06:56 PM
Is it possible at some point the city might come back and build the Santa Fe bridge? That would be welcomed by many I'm sure.
That was the original plan, as the 50th st interchange is to be reduced .  But it was cut out due to cost.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Plutonic Panda

The way I understand it was ODOT could no longer justify using federal funds after a study determined that they didn't have to reroute traffic which they would built the new bridge to do.

I am just curious if at some point the city of OKC will come back and build a new bridge and if the interchange will still allow for it to be built someday.

rte66man

Time for a periodic photo update.  All photos taken today in 75 degree windy weather.

The westbound NW 50th cloverleaf ramp to SB 235 as it passes back under 50th.  This ramp is one of the first things to go.

Guard rails coming down on same ramp.

Storm sewer work on the west side of the freeway.

NW 36th St northbound ramp onto 235

Approaching the NW 50th overpass.

East side just south of the BNSF overpass.

The NW 50th St northbound off ramp.  Easy to see the removal of the old onramp.

Looking east on NW 50th.  They are building a median crossover for westbound traffic to turn south on 235.  Once that is done the cloverleaf will be removed.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

What are they doing now? Just leveling dirt?

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 11, 2017, 10:07:30 PM
What are they doing now? Just leveling dirt?

Hard to tell if they are constructing temporary lanes yet.  Next week I'll go back and check.  My guess is they have to deal with the creek on the west side before any southbound lanes are built.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Thanks. I'm excited to see his unfold and think this will be a very visually pleasing stretch of freeway to drive on once finished even before the entire interchange is redone.

This coupled with the SH-9/I-35 project in Norman will make for some cool freeway sections OKC should be glad to have.

Bobby5280

It's difficult to get enthusiastic about a partial cloverleaf interchange, especially when it takes the better part of a decade to complete. The I-35 & I-240 interchange isn't going to be much better either, yet another partial cloverleaf interchange. Oklahoma can't get a 4 level direct connector stack interchange off the ground anywhere in the state. South of the Red River far more impressive interchanges are pretty common.

Plutonic Panda

Agree. I'm not excited about the interchange just that I think this will be a cool section of the freeway given its location and surrounding terrain. Idk I could be going off on nothing lol

Bobby5280

It would be very difficult to build up giant earth berms to hold three levels of bridges over I-44 without completely disrupting some of the interchange movements for long periods of time. Moving all that earth into place, compacting it and grading it would not be cheap. The process would be time consuming, especially considering the not so stable nature of Oklahoma's red clay soil. Such an interchange might require an even larger real estate foot print. Can't build the hills for those ramps completely vertical. On top of that portions of those artificial hill sides would probably have to be capped with concrete. And then there's all the drainage issues coming from those hills too.

rte66man

Exhuming this thread (has it really been that long since I posted here?)

Pictures taken via dashcam today.

Northbound 235 just past 36th Street.  They are almost ready to pour concrete for the inside lanes in both directions.

Northbound approaching the BNSF overpass.  You can tell how the new lanes will greatly reduce the angle of the curve.

A closer look as to how much was removed to make room for the new lanes.  It looks as if they will move NB traffic onto the new asphalt by tomorrow.

Southbound on the ramp from EB 44.  A fair shot of the fabrication of the 2 new BNSF bridge spans.  I was told it would be at least February before the piers would be ready for these behemoths to be moved into place.

Southbound merge with the main lanes.  You can see the progress of the new 50th Street overpass.

Southbound at the BNSF overpass.  The temporary lane shift still causes problems even at 35 mph.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Those are some pretty damn big trusses. It'll be nice to at least be able to go under a truss on an Interstate in Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rte66man

They are going to move the railroad trusses this weekend.  ODOT has 3 webcams with a live feed beginning tomorrow night at 7 PM:

https://www.i235live.com/

The press release:
https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=39635 (the photos did not copy)

I-235 railroad bridge installation requires full interstate closure tentatively set for Jan. 26-29, wind dependent
The I-235 Off-Broadway project in Oklahoma City needs another week to warm up for the big production of moving the new BNSF railroad bridge into place over the interstate. Engineers have called off this weekend's planned installation of the 4-million pound steel bridge until wind forecasts are more favorable. The closure is now tentatively planned for Jan. 26, but this date is also wind dependent.

Winds more than 20 mph pose too much of a safety risk to successfully move the 45-foot-tall bridge structures the quarter mile from the construction site to their new home over I-235 just south of N. 50th St.

The project will take a dramatic turn starting at 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 26, as all lanes of the highway are scheduled to be closed for an extended weekend from south of I-44 to N. 36th St. to allow for a spectacular feat of engineering to take place. The interstate is scheduled to reopen no later than 6 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 30, but potentially could open earlier. Drivers will need to use I-35, I-40, I-44, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway and Lincoln Blvd. during this closure. However, even this planned closure date will be very weather dependent for safety reasons, and possibly could be delayed until more favorable conditions arrive.

Due to their size and weight, it will be a slow and steady operation to move the two bridge spans into place taking up to a full day per span. The bridge structures will be hoisted up on self-propelled mobile transporters and inched along the highway into their new position over the interstate. This is the first time this innovative bridge-moving technique is being used in Oklahoma, allowing the Oklahoma Department of Transportation to schedule short closures of the highway during the more than two-year interstate widening and reconstruction project.

"In recent years, Oklahoma is using additional innovative techniques to keep interstates and highways open to traffic with shorter closures whenever circumstances allow,"  said ODOT spokeswoman Terri Angier. "So far, this is the largest project in ODOT history and this part its most defining milestone."  

In June 2017, the first of six planned closures of I-235 occurred for the removal of the N. 50th St. bridge over the interstate. This left up to five more weekend closures of I-235 in the contract to accomplish installing the new BNSF railroad bridge, removing the old railroad bridge and hanging the new N. 50th St. bridge beams.

Allen Contracting Inc. of Oklahoma City recently proposed combining the two weekends for the new railroad bridge installation into a three-day closure.

"By allowing the contractor to consolidate this work into a three-day weekend closure, the public will benefit by fewer full interstate closures through the remainder of the project,"  said ODOT Division 4 Engineer Brian Taylor. "We now anticipate completing the work with up to four full closures instead of the six originally allowed for in the contract. If we can accomplish the work safely with fewer closures, we will."

In addition to the closure of northbound and southbound I-235 between N. 36th St. and just south of the I-44 interchange, motorists can expect the following ramp closures:

Eastbound I-44 to southbound I-235;
Westbound I-44 to southbound I-235; and
Northbound I-235 on-ramp from N. 36th St.
This bridge installation will be one of the most documented events in ODOT history with photos and footage available to the public. For those who want to see the bridge move but don't want to be out in the cold weather next weekend, ODOT will be providing numerous ways to view the action. They include:

A live stream video at www.i235live.com;
Information via Facebook and Twitter (@OKDOT) that will include regular updates with ODOT engineers and industry experts; and
Updates at www.odot.org
ODOT recognizes that moving large bridge structures down I-235 will be quite a show. There will be a public viewing area set up on the east side of I-235 at N. 50th St. As this is an active work zone, for their safety and the safety of the crews visitors to this area will not be allowed to access any other areas of the site. Bleachers for public seating will be opened only Jan. 26 through Jan. 29 and the viewing area will be closed after dark each day. Parking is available along city streets in this vicinity. Those visiting the viewing area are encouraged to wear sturdy shoes and dress appropriately for the chilly temperatures. Photography will be allowed from the viewing area, however, drones will not be allowed within ODOT right-of-way due to safety concerns and based on railroad regulations.

This move is part of a nearly $88 million widening and reconstruction project on I-235 between I-44 and N. 36th Street in Oklahoma City awarded to Allen Contracting Inc. The project began in January 2017 and is expected to complete in 2019.

Once complete, I-235 will be widened to six lanes plus auxiliary lanes and includes improvements to the ramps in this area. It also will feature new bridges at N. 50th St. and the BNSF railroad bridge plus a significantly improved drainage system to address highway flooding issues.

Additional thoughts about the project:
"The Oklahoma Department of Transportation is excited to bring this innovative bridge-moving technique to Oklahoma for the first time. The Utah Department of Transportation were pioneers in this process and we sent personnel there a few years ago to learn more about what is involved. The advantages of this technique are significantly shortening the interstate closure time needed,"  said ODOT Chief Engineer Casey Shell.

"This particular location and circumstances were ideal for a truss structure because they better support the heavier loads of rail traffic,"  said ODOT Bridge Engineer Steve Jacobi. "The trusses also provide more support without taking up as much space below the bridge structure and while accommodating the 550-foot length required to bridge the widening of the interstate up to eight lanes."

"The transportation and placement of the two truss spans is the pivotal event of this project. Getting to this critical stage has been a monumental task that involved significant planning and preparation by Allen Contracting Inc. and our team member American Bridge Company, which culminates with this undertaking. With this milestone accomplished, we are able to move forward with other key elements and ultimate completion of the I-235 widening and reconstruction project,"  said Allen Contracting Inc. project coordinator Reed Greenhill.

"American Bridge Company has a long history of successful complex bridge installation projects. Our company most recently used this same technique to relocate a truss bridge in Cleveland, Ohio, from land to barges. Next weekend, weather pending, American Bridge will use eight self-propelled mobile transporters to transport both BNSF railroad truss spans, each about 2 million pounds, a quarter mile down I-235 into their final position. The truss spans will be transported close to final elevation, which is about 16 feet,"  said American Bridge Company Project Manager Adam Roebuck.

Media and public viewing of the I-235 railroad bridge move will take place on the east side of I-235 at the N. 50th St. bridge abutment. Public parking is available on N. Cooper Ave. with designated media parking closer to the N. 50th St. bridge. This viewing area will only be open Jan. 26-29. Those who want to avoid the expected chilly temperatures may watch a live stream of the bridge move at www.i235live.com or check for updates on ODOT's Facebook and Twitter @OKDOT.

Off Broadway alternate routes.  Northbound and southbound I-235 is tentatively planned to fully close between I-44 and N. 36th St. at 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 26. These alternate routes such as I-44, I-35, I-40, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway and Lincoln Blvd. will be open to traffic through the extended weekend closure. The City of Oklahoma City also is suggesting N. Classen Blvd., Martin Luther King Ave., Reno Ave., N. 36th St. and N. 23rd St. as alternate routes.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

From ODOT Webcam:

Looking SW from the east side of 235.

Looking NE from the west side of 235

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

More webcam shots from today:

I heard they will move the other span tomorrow.

-Yogi Berra

compdude787

Wow, that amazes me that they're actually installing a brand new RR truss bridge across a freeway!

rte66man

Both spans are now in place.  Web cam captures from today:

At the 3 p.m. update on Facebook. they said the next closure would be to set the beams for the 50th St overpass.  I didn't catch when that would happen.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

Pictures from today (January 30th).

Southbound

The 50th St overpass to the west

The new BNSF bridge

Northbound

Just north of 36th Street.  Most of the concrete has been down for a week.

The 50th St overpass

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

Photos taken Friday, February 9, 2018.

NB approaching the 36th Street exit.

NB just past 36th Street where the new pavement starts.  They haven't done much here for the past 3 weeks or so.

Not sure what the machine is.  Test concrete hardness?

Northbound approaching the BNSF overpass. You can see the 50th Street overpass in the background.  I'm puzzled by the parts over the existing and future railroad tracks.  There don't appear to be beams like on the other spans.

Working on the new BNSF bridge.

The 50th Street overpass inside piers with the eastern bent.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

Bumping this thread......

https://kfor.com/2019/03/15/major-phase-of-ongoing-construction-project-on-i-235-in-oklahoma-city-to-begin-soon/

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A major phase of the ongoing construction project at the state's largest interstate work zone will begin later this month.

The two-year project, set to begin March 25, will primarily impact northbound and southbound I-235 between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St.; however, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation says the interstate will remain open to two lanes of traffic in each direction majority of the time.

"It's probably going to be the most disruptive [phase] because we normally work from the outside of an interchange and work our way into the interchange, so this is going to be right in the heart in the interchange over I-44 on I-235 where two major interstates intersect," Terri Angier with ODOT said. "Each of these interstates carry over about 100,000 cars a day so it's a major, major project for us."

One of those drivers is Arthur Weschler. He lives in Dallas but is on the road frequently for work.

"As a traveling salesman, yes. I run into this all over Texas and Oklahoma. I prefer they do the construction at night when there's less traffic. During the day, it becomes a major nuisance," Weschler said. "You can't say it enough, you just got to be patient going through the construction."

In total, the project includes 11 new bridges with two flyover bridges to be built during this next phase.

"It's going to look much like the ones we see in Dallas or other major metropolitan areas and it's going to have two very long flyover bridges that tie over the ramp," Angier said. "It's almost hard to imagine what it will look like, because we've never had one like this in the state but we are very excited that it will move traffic more than anything, a lot more smoothly than it does today."

ODOT is encouraging motorists to start planning now for the following traffic impacts later in the project:

Up to four full weekend closures of I-235 to remove and hang bridge beams;
One weekend closure of I-44 for bridge beams;
A nearly two-month closure of the northbound I-235 off-ramp to N. 63rd St.;
Closure of the northbound I-235 off-ramp to N. 50th St. to complete the ramp widening;
Intermittent lane closures of N. 50th St. and Santa Fe Ave. for intersection modification; and
An up to two week closure of the southbound I-235/US-77 off-ramp to eastbound I-44 and the westbound I-44 on-ramp to southbound I-235 while these two clover leaf ramps are widened and improved.
The seventh phase is going to cost about $105 million, according to ODOT. In project in total, represents a nearly $300 million investment in highway infrastructure.

Once it is done, there is another piece of work.

"What it will do is connect Lincoln Boulevard directly to northbound broadway extension," Angier said. "Right now, the only way is to get on I-44 and make a couple of jogs before you can get to Broadway extension north."

ODOT is recommending drivers stay off Broadway during the construction and use alternative routes including I-35, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway, I-44, I-40 and Lincoln Blvd.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.