News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles2

Update on the I-22/I-65 interchange:

I drove through there yesterday.  There are now two separate, and from what it appears rather temporary, exits from I-65 to U.S. 31 just north of the 22/65 interchange.  (Sorry that I couldn't stop and take pictures).  Progress is being made on the construction, although sometimes it's hard to recognize it.

msunat97

Thanks for the update.

codyg1985

As of last weekend, I-22 is still only signed in Marion County, Alabama. Walker and Jefferson Counties don't have new signs up for it. As far as I know, Mississippi hasn't put up any I-22 signs, either.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 28, 2013, 07:55:34 AM
As of last weekend, I-22 is still only signed in Marion County, Alabama. Walker and Jefferson Counties don't have new signs up for it. As far as I know, Mississippi hasn't put up any I-22 signs, either.

As of Sunday there were no standalone I-22 signs between exits 6 & 30 and 86-state line in MS, and none east of exit 39 in AL.  (There were none between MS exits 30 and 86 about 10 days ago, and I doubt that's changed.)

rcm195

The I-22 signs are up in Jefferson County and Walker County at least between Coalburg and the Jasper exits. Don't know about west of Jasper. Saw them yesterday as I traveled between Jasper and Bham. Oddly in Walker Co. the I-22 signs were placed right next to the "future" I-22 signs.

codyg1985

Quote from: rcm195 on June 03, 2013, 09:28:55 AM
The I-22 signs are up in Jefferson County and Walker County at least between Coalburg and the Jasper exits. Don't know about west of Jasper. Saw them yesterday as I traveled between Jasper and Bham. Oddly in Walker Co. the I-22 signs were placed right next to the "future" I-22 signs.

Are they the big large signs like the ones in Marion County?
Cody Goodman

rcm195

No, just single post. At least the ones I saw.

codyg1985

Quote from: rcm195 on June 03, 2013, 04:23:12 PM
No, just single post. At least the ones I saw.

I guess they didn't want to make the existing US 78 signs look puny by comparison.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Per rcm195, I went down to Walker and Jefferson Counties to photograph the I-22 signs. I-22 signs are up in Walker and parts of Jefferson County (the part of I-22 maintained by the Jasper district of ALDOT). Just like with Marion County signs, they are only posted on the mainline and not on the crossroads (at least not yet). These are smaller than the Marion County signs, and aren't neutered (yay!). Unfortunately, they replaced the US 78 signs, and US 78 is nowhere to be seen on the mainline anymore. Further, US 78 has not reappeared on the old alignment (now AL 5). The Birmingham district of ALDOT has yet to put I-22 signs on its stretch (from Hillcrest Road/Exit 89 eastward)

I-22 west approaching US 78/AL 5 in Graysville.

I-22 west just east of the Walker/Jefferson County line.

I-22 west just west of Walker CR 81. As rcm195 mentioned, the Future I-22 sign wasn't removed. I'm sure it will be gone soon.
Cody Goodman

msunat97

Thanks for taking the time to take & post the pics. 

Tomahawkin

There Needs To be some development along I-22 right before Birmingham, That Truckstop near the I-65 interchange (Along that Industrial 5 lane road) is wayyy too congested

SSF

There is plenty of space for development all along I-22, so that shouldnt be a problem.

RoadWarrior56

If I-22 signs are going up without companion US 78 sinage, it could be that US 78 becomes a silent duplex with I-22 in western Alabama, much like US 85 and US 87 are with I-25 in Colorado.  I would not expect Alabama to formally decommisioned US 78 west of Birmingham, especially since they could not unless Mississippi and Tennessee did the same, and I don't expect that to happen either.

Alps

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on June 11, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
If I-22 signs are going up without companion US 78 sinage, it could be that US 78 becomes a silent duplex with I-22 in western Alabama, much like US 85 and US 87 are with I-25 in Colorado.  I would not expect Alabama to formally decommisioned US 78 west of Birmingham, especially since they could not unless Mississippi and Tennessee did the same, and I don't expect that to happen either.
Well we know for sure it's not going back on the old road, since large stretches have become various signed state highways, and others have reverted to counties (ignoring those that are cut off).

Charles2

More photos from the I-22/I-65 interchange construction, from www.al.com, as well as news about lane closures...

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/interstate_65_planned_lane_clo.html#incart_river_default

msunat97

What's the estimated completion date for this intersection?  Fall 2014?

Charles2

Fall of '14 is what they're saying.  Looks like they have miles to go before they sleep, though.

berberry

What about the western end of I-22?  Unfortunately, the only MDOT district that keeps the public informed about progress on road projects is the one in South Ms and the Gulf Coast, so it's been a loooong time since I've heard anything official about the 69-related freeways going in around Memphis.  Do we know yet precisely where the western terminus of 22 will be, and does anyone know the latest construction status there?

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: berberry on June 22, 2013, 07:10:15 AM
What about the western end of I-22?  Unfortunately, the only MDOT district that keeps the public informed about progress on road projects is the one in South Ms and the Gulf Coast, so it's been a loooong time since I've heard anything official about the 69-related freeways going in around Memphis.  Do we know yet precisely where the western terminus of 22 will be, and does anyone know the latest construction status there?
My understanding is it was originally supposed to tie in with I-240, but seeing how fast the work is progressing on I-269, it wouldn't surprise me to see it tie into I-269, temporarily, since upgrading US 78 to interstate standard is supposed to be a costly proposition, and I-269 will connect directly with I-55/69 albeit to the south and eventually the north. That at least is my "understanding"..I could be wrong. I'm just glad ALDOT finally just started to sign I-22, since it is at Interstate standards.

richllewis

From the schedule I have seen from Memphis, I thought I saw that Lamar Ave which is US 78 in Memphis they are supposed to do something with US 78 coming from Mississippi to various parts of Memphis. And the last thing I saw was they had scheduled Right of Way acquisition funding along Lamar Ave. Based on that I would say that hooking up to I-240 may be a long way off.

ATLRedSoxFan

Yeah, it looks like the I-22/I-269 connection seems more likely, given the progress made on I-269. It could connect with I-240, but that seems a while off.

NE2

You can always send I-22 up I-269 to SR 385.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: NE2 on June 22, 2013, 10:30:55 PM
You can always send I-22 up I-269 to SR 385.
Given Tennessee's enthusiasm regarding I-69, I'd say that's very probable.

froggie

When I asked MDOT the question years ago, the answer I got was a mix between ending it at I-269 or routing it along I-269 to end at I-55/69.

Avalanchez71

I say sending I-69 packing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.