News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

U. S. Metro Area Population "March Madness" quiz

Started by kurumi, March 31, 2019, 08:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

DFW's metro area is larger. Houston is the 4th largest city proper.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

CNGL-Leudimin

When in doubt, click Phoenix, Riverside, Orlando or Tampa. They are the most probable cinderellas in that order. I would have never guessed the Phoenix metro area is that large, considering it is an oven in the Summer.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 03, 2019, 08:06:52 AM
When in doubt, click Phoenix, Riverside, Orlando or Tampa. They are the most probable cinderellas in that order. I would have never guessed the Phoenix metro area is that large, considering it is an oven in the Summer.

Maricopa County paid the Census Bureau to conduct an interim Census in 2005 because they were growing so fast and didn't want to wait until 2010 for new data.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 03, 2019, 08:06:52 AM

Phoenix proper is really large. It's not just because of the metro area/city proper difference.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on April 03, 2019, 07:24:05 AM

That one also tripped me up when they matched up (I-45 Series?).

SectorZ

54 in the city one, 57 in the state one. That Riverside one shocked me, too.

I feel the state one is easy if you follow presidential elections just by remembering how many electoral votes each state has. Of course, the American Samoa vs. Northern Marianas Islands matchup was a complete guess for me.

webny99

Quote from: formulanone on April 03, 2019, 10:17:30 AM
Quote from: 1 on April 03, 2019, 07:24:05 AM
That one also tripped me up when they matched up (I-45 Series?).

Yeah, me too, and the frustrating thing is I knew Dallas has the more populous metro area. But I stupidly clicked Houston anyways.

CNGL-Leudimin

New York always win. Most of the times the final will be NYC vs Los Angeles, so I like when both NYC and L.A. end up on the same side of the bracket as that means NYC will have a different rival in the final. I've just done a perfect bracket where the top 5 metro areas (NYC, L.A., Chicago, Dallas and Houston) ended up on the same side, thus matching NYC against Washington DC (the 6th largest metro area) in the final.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bruce

It would be fun to take this kind of bracket format and apply it to other measurements, like metro area GDP, median household income, population growth, miles of freeways/rail transit, and density. It would be much harder to guess.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Bruce on April 03, 2019, 06:20:22 PM
It would be fun to take this kind of bracket format and apply it to other measurements, like metro area GDP, median household income, population growth, miles of freeways/rail transit, and density. It would be much harder to guess.

That'd be too much March Madness for some people.

CNGL-Leudimin

Okay, I'm going to solve this. As I've said New York City always wins the Championship, and thus will be always a finalist. Avoid Knoxville like the plague, as that is the 64th metro area and thus loses to everyone else.

The least populated metro areas that can reach any given round are...
Round of 32: Albany (it has to be paired with Knoxville for this to happen)
Round of 16: Greenville
Quarterfinals: Bridgeport
Semifinals: Birmingham
Final: Cleveland (for a Cleveland vs New York final to happen, the top half of the field must be all on one side of the bracket and the bottom half on the other)

OTOH, Los Angeles can be out already in the First Round, if it gets paired with New York (I have had this happen a few times already). The first metro area to be out of the field is that of McAllen.

Buck87

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 03, 2019, 04:14:22 PMI've just done a perfect bracket where the top 5 metro areas (NYC, L.A., Chicago, Dallas and Houston) ended up on the same side, thus matching NYC against Washington DC (the 6th largest metro area) in the final.

Now Washington was in the same side as the other five, so the final featured NYC against Miami (the 7th largest metro area). Miami is also the largest metro area that can win the Wooden Spoon (i.e. lose against a rival which in turn loses in the next round and so on until the final).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.