News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How do you define the Rust Belt?

Started by webny99, April 25, 2019, 02:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

This is a question I have been thinking about a bit recently. In particular, I am wondering what characteristics determine whether an area is part of the Rust Belt, and what the general boundaries of the region are thought to be. My home city of Rochester itself is interesting, in that it is split in many ways, with the eastern half being more white collar and containing a lot of the richer suburbs, while the western half is more blue collar, has a flatter landscape, and more in common with Buffalo (very clearly part of the Rust Belt).

My personal feeling is that the Rust Belt is roughly diamond-shaped, with Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Detroit being the four corners, while I would not consider Chicago to be part of it. Of course, that is just my opinion and a very approximated one at that, so I am interested to see what others think.

Tonytone

Quote from: webny99 on April 25, 2019, 02:47:32 PM
This is a question I have been thinking about a bit recently. In particular, I am wondering what characteristics determine whether an area is part of the Rust Belt, and what the general boundaries of the region are thought to be. My home city of Rochester itself is interesting, in that it is split in many ways, with the eastern half being more white collar and containing a lot of the richer suburbs, while the western half is more blue collar, has a flatter landscape, and more in common with Buffalo (very clearly part of the Rust Belt).

My personal feeling is that the Rust Belt is roughly diamond-shaped, with Buffalo, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Detroit being the four corners, while I would not consider Chicago to be part of it. Of course, that is just my opinion and a very approximated one at that, so I am interested to see what others think.
Towns & small cities that were booming during the Factory & Construction era. But are now left withering in the same way they once were. Some places have tried to defeat the past, but the future is in the cities.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

hotdogPi

My definition is much larger than yours.

[deleted first part]

EDIT: Alternatively, any place that is at least 5% more Republican now than in 2010, excluding regions that everyone agrees are in the South such as Tennessee and Arkansas.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Beltway

I have used Wikipedia's definition before, and it is pretty accurate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt
Quotes:

The Rust Belt begins in central New York and traverses west through Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, ending in northern Illinois, eastern Iowa, and southeastern Wisconsin.  New England was also hard hit by industrial decline during the same era.

Rust refers to the deindustrialization, or economic decline, population loss, and urban decay due to the shrinking of its once-powerful industrial sector.  The term gained popularity in the U.S. in the 1980s.

Industry has been declining in the region, which was previously known as the industrial heartland of America, since the mid-20th century due to a variety of economic factors, such as the transfer of manufacturing overseas, increased automation, and the decline of the US steel and coal industries.  While some cities and towns have managed to adapt by shifting focus towards services and high-tech industries, others have not fared as well, witnessing rising poverty and declining populations.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Brandon

My personal feeling is that the Rust Belt is roughly diamond-shaped, with Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Detroit being the four corners, while I would not consider Chicago to be part of it. Of course, that is just my opinion and a very approximated one at that, so I am interested to see what others think.

Chicago is very much is a part of it.  The city has lost almost as many people (numerically) as Detroit (albeit starting from a higher base).  I would also include Saint Louis in the definition as well, as an extension along I-55 from Chicago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DandyDan

Not sure how you can not consider Chicago a part of the Rust Belt when Gary, only 20 miles away, clearly is. Gary is essentially a mini-Detroit.

One area not traditionally considered the Rust Belt, but I think should be, is Duluth-Superior and the Iron Range of Minnesota. Apart from the fact iron degrades into rust, that general area has had to retool its economy in much the same way as the traditional Rust Belt.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

thspfc

I would say it includes Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland/Akron, Toledo, NW Indiana and the rest of Chicagoland, Milwaukee, and all of Michigan.

Max Rockatansky

Pretty much all the industrial cities surround the Great Lakes plus Pittsburg.

Verlanka

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 25, 2019, 07:29:30 PM
Pretty much all the industrial cities surround the Great Lakes plus Pittsburgh.

FIFY.  :-|

PAHighways

Quote from: Verlanka on April 26, 2019, 07:09:27 AM

Thank you

It has had the "h" back since 1911.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: PAHighways on April 26, 2019, 07:24:22 AM

Thank you

I'm surprised the auto correct on my phone didn't catch it. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2019, 09:07:40 AM
Quote from: PAHighways on April 26, 2019, 07:24:22 AM

Thank you

I'm surprised the auto correct on my phone didn't catch it. 

Because Pittsburg is a correct spelling. Just not for the city you were referring to.

SP Cook

The Wikipedia version is pretty accurate.  Really it is cities, both major and mid-sized, where the basic lifestyle has declined from about 1965 - date, leading to the ambitious and able leaving. 

jon daly

Quote from: SP Cook on April 26, 2019, 10:44:04 AM
The Wikipedia version is pretty accurate.  Really it is cities, both major and mid-sized, where the basic lifestyle has declined from about 1965 - date, leading to the ambitious and able leaving. 

There's also some New England mill towns that would fit that description, but they are not Rust Belt. That said, the textile industry may've declined earlier.

webny99

Quote from: Brandon on April 25, 2019, 04:04:14 PM
Chicago is very much is a part of it.  The city has lost almost as many people (numerically) as Detroit (albeit starting from a higher base).  I would also include Saint Louis in the definition as well, as an extension along I-55 from Chicago.

Chicago has certainly lost population, but the city center is notably much busier and more thriving than places like Detroit or Buffalo. It seems to have been less dependent on the traditional declining industries and more adaptable, thus never getting to as low of a point as other Rust Belt cities. I actually believe St. Louis to be a better fit with the Rust Belt than Chicago, as far as urban decay, percentage of population decline, dependence on declining industries, and inability to adapt.

Quote from: DandyDan on April 25, 2019, 04:42:38 PM
Not sure how you can not consider Chicago a part of the Rust Belt when Gary, only 20 miles away, clearly is. Gary is essentially a mini-Detroit.

As you approach Chicago on I-90, it does feel very much like the traditional Rust Belt. Other parts of the Chicago region, including downtown Chicago, much less so. Gary is probably actually one of Indiana's only areas that has a significant Rust Belt "feel" to it. Indy, being slightly larger than Columbus, is probably the largest city in the region that has the *least* characteristics of a Rust Belt city.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on April 25, 2019, 02:56:00 PM
EDIT: Alternatively, any place that is at least 5% more Republican now than in 2010, excluding regions that everyone agrees are in the South such as Tennessee and Arkansas.

I believe this mostly just includes rural areas, while excluding many cities.
There is an interesting map here which shows the counties that flipped Republican in 2016. Gray counties voted more Republican (but didn't flip), while red counties actually flipped. Iowa had the most dramatic shift, yet I generally wouldn't have considered it as a state to be part of the Rust Belt.

For anyone interested, the map came from this page. I don't want this thread to turn into politics, but I post it anyways because I find it so interesting - surprising, even - as it relates to America's changing demographics.

hbelkins

No part of Kentucky, including Louisville, is what I would consider to be part of the Rust Belt.

EDIT: I take that back. Ashland is definitely part of the Rust Belt, given its declining steel industry.

To me, it's a meandering area that includes Gary, Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown, Weirton, Wheeling, Pittsburgh and Buffalo. I don't think of Rochester or Syracuse when I think of the Rust Belt.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on April 26, 2019, 01:32:08 PM
Iowa had the most dramatic shift, yet I generally wouldn't have considered it as a state to be part of the Rust Belt.

If there's such a thing as the Pork Belt, I bet Iowa is the buckle!

(BTW, politics in Iowa are interesting.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: webny99 on April 26, 2019, 01:12:10 PM
Chicago has certainly lost population, but the city center is notably much busier and more thriving than places like Detroit or Buffalo. It seems to have been less dependent on the traditional declining industries and more adaptable, thus never getting to as low of a point as other Rust Belt cities. I actually believe St. Louis to be a better fit with the Rust Belt than Chicago, as far as urban decay, percentage of population decline, dependence on declining industries, and inability to adapt.

Chicago's not doing all that well, even in the central core (Loop).  If all you ever visited in Chicago was the Loop, and downtown in Detroit, you'd say both cities are doing well.  Ditto for the Arch area in St Louis.  I think you need to get out of New York more.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on April 26, 2019, 02:00:58 PM
Chicago's not doing all that well, even in the central core (Loop).

If all you ever visited in Chicago was the Loop ... you'd say [it is] doing well.

Those two statements are contradictory, aren't they?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DandyDan

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2019, 01:36:34 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 26, 2019, 01:32:08 PM
Iowa had the most dramatic shift, yet I generally wouldn't have considered it as a state to be part of the Rust Belt.

If there's such a thing as the Pork Belt, I bet Iowa is the buckle!

(BTW, politics in Iowa are interesting.)
The consolidation of the agriculture industry into fewer and fewer producers has probably had the same impact on Iowa as the decline and departure of industry has on the Rust Belt. Also, while I am not an expert about it, I believe a number of John Deere plants have left Iowa, which would probably make those communities feel like they are in the Rust Belt.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

webny99

Quote from: Brandon on April 26, 2019, 02:00:58 PM
If all you ever visited in Chicago was the Loop, and downtown in Detroit, you'd say both cities are doing well.

Eeeh. I'm not convinced. Downtown Chicago is bustling, crowded, contains some major tourist attractions, feels like a major commercial hub/world-class city to at least some degree. Downtown Detroit is OK, and improving, but it was almost eerily empty when I was there (on a Saturday about a year ago). I kept wondering where all the people were; it felt like any other modern large city, but with hardly anybody on the streets. I know better than to think either city is doing great per se, but I think Chicago is in a significantly better position than Detroit.

Quote from: Brandon on April 26, 2019, 02:00:58 PMI think you need to get out of New York more.

I think so too, but not because I'm not well traveled, just because I like traveling!  :)

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on April 26, 2019, 01:36:08 PM
No part of Kentucky, including Louisville, is what I would consider to be part of the Rust Belt.

I would certainly consider far northern Kentucky / Cincinnati suburbs to be part of the Rust Belt.

To me, it's a meandering area that includes Gary, Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown, Weirton, Wheeling, Pittsburgh and Buffalo. I don't think of Rochester or Syracuse when I think of the Rust Belt.

I agree; Rochester in particular never had the manufacturing base like the traditional Rust Belt, so didn't suffer as badly through the second half of the 20th century. There are, however, areas to my east that have significant Rust Belt characteristics; Binghamton, NY and Scranton, PA come to mind. Syracuse has more Rust Belt characteristics than Rochester (at least IMO), but it still isn't what I would consider a Rust Belt city.

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on April 26, 2019, 02:57:43 PM

I would certainly consider far northern Kentucky / Cincinnati suburbs to be part of the Rust Belt.

See my edit. I would not consider that area to be part of the Rust Belt, but definitely Ashland.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DandyDan on April 25, 2019, 04:42:38 PM

One area not traditionally considered the Rust Belt, but I think should be, is Duluth-Superior and the Iron Range of Minnesota. Apart from the fact iron degrades into rust, that general area has had to retool its economy in much the same way as the traditional Rust Belt.

Duluth is really the only one of the group with any kind of success in diversifying their economy with slow but steady growth in aerospace, tech, and healthcare. Superior had a much lauded deal with Kestrel Aircraft that fell apart, and the Range cities are still struggling to move away from the infamous 3 Ts (tourism, timber, taconite).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.