News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hwy 190 from Copperas Cove to Belton to be renamed I-14

Started by longhorn, December 11, 2013, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Quote from: Chris on February 25, 2016, 08:25:08 AM
http://www.txdot.gov/apps/statewide_mapping/StatewidePlanningMap.html

Traffic volumes on much of the planned I-14 route west of Lampasas are really low. Even between Lampasas and Brady the traffic counts are under 2,000 vehicles a day for the most part. Not to mention west of Brady, where traffic volumes even dip under 1,000 vehicles per day, even dipping to 400 vehicles per day east of Eldorado. Traffic volumes between Brady and San Angelo don't reach 5,000 vehicles per day until you're almost in San Angelo.

Would be nice to have a freeway to drive on when we go west but really there is hardly any traffic out there.  But if we looked just at traffic I-10 would never have to have been built.

texaskdog

Quote from: rte66man on April 02, 2016, 07:32:47 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 31, 2016, 12:13:31 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 11, 2013, 01:26:15 PM
Looking at the Texas Trunk System map, the most likely eastern extension would be US 190 to College Station (though they might go more directly to Hearne), then SH 6 and SH 249 to Houston.

Who would want to go to College Station?

Don't want to go TO there, rather want to go THRU there on the way to something better.....   :bigass:

Amen, brother!

paulthemapguy

Like others in this thread, I'd like to see the rapidly-growing metropolis of Austin, TX to get its first east-west interstate, but it would probably make more sense following the US290 corridor, rather than US190.  That could be a good I-14.  Heck, TX-6 north from there to College Station can be a 3di of I-14 since a bunch of it is already a freeway.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jbnv

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 13, 2016, 11:37:23 AM
Like others in this thread, I'd like to see the rapidly-growing metropolis of Austin, TX to get its first east-west interstate, but it would probably make more sense following the US290 corridor, rather than US190.  That could be a good I-14.  Heck, TX-6 north from there to College Station can be a 3di of I-14 since a bunch of it is already a freeway.

The US 190 corridor through Texas is part of a multi-state I-14 corridor.  US 290 to Austin is more logically I-12.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone believe that US 290 will also get an Interstate designation. I am somewhat skeptical. Personally, US 190 should be an I-X35 spur for starters, and should only become Interstate 14 if more of the freeway is designated and built to the east or the west.

nolia_boi504

Quote from: jbnv on April 13, 2016, 12:49:24 PM

The US 190 corridor through Texas is part of a multi-state I-14 corridor.  US 290 to Austin is more logically I-12.
I-12 already exists in Louisiana so 190 cannot be signed the same unless I-12 cosigns I-10 west of Baton Rouge until it splits off again in Houston -- this doesn't make sense either. Personally I think the both TX and LA portions should be even numbered 3DI's as neither crosses state lines.

Nexus 5X

paulthemapguy

My assumption was that we scrapped that idea, since it didn't really seem to get general appeal.

jbnv

Quote from: nolia_boi504 on April 13, 2016, 05:58:12 PM
I-12 already exists in Louisiana so 190 cannot be signed the same...

Which is why there is only one I-76, only one I-84, only one I-86, and only one I-88.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

longhorn

Good point, could see Tx6 down to 290 over to 610 being a 3 digit interstate too since that whole length is interstate quality.

Henry

Quote from: nolia_boi504 on April 13, 2016, 05:58:12 PM

I-12 already exists in Louisiana so 190 cannot be signed the same unless I-12 cosigns I-10 west of Baton Rouge until it splits off again in Houston -- this doesn't make sense either. Personally I think the both TX and LA portions should be even numbered 3DI's as neither crosses state lines.

Nexus 5X

Try telling that to IN and OH, where I-80 and I-90 run together on the same road! And I already had the idea of making I-12 from Austin to Houston, with that I-10 concurrency in the middle, but yeah, these should be 3di's at most.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jbnv

There's no need to extend I-12 from Baton Rouge to Houston just to make US 290 part of it. The precedent for two separate interstates having the same 2DI has been established. If we can reuse 76, 84, 86 and 88, we can reuse 12.

Meanwhile, a proposal for a multistate Interstate 14 already exists, and US 190 in Bell County is part of it.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: jbnv on April 14, 2016, 11:53:50 AM
There's no need to extend I-12 from Baton Rouge to Houston just to make US 290 part of it. The precedent for two separate interstates having the same 2DI has been established. If we can reuse 76, 84, 86 and 88, we can reuse 12.

Meanwhile, a proposal for a multistate Interstate 14 already exists, and US 190 in Bell County is part of it.

Now, if you upgraded US 190/LA 12/TX 12 from Vidor to BTR to Interstate standards, that could make an I-10/I-12 cosign from Houston to Vidor more palatable. Almost.

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 14, 2016, 12:01:20 PM
Now, if you upgraded US 190/LA 12/TX 12 from Vidor to BTR to Interstate standards, that could make an I-10/I-12 cosign from Houston to Vidor more palatable. Almost.

That's not going to happen. There isn't enough traffic to justify it, and such an upgrade doesn't address the issues with that corridor.

Are there even plans for making TX 12 and LA 12 expressways? I heard talk about improving US 190 from Kinder to Eunice, but that's not all of 190.

The only way I can see 190/12/12 carrying an interstate designation is if the FHWA creates a class of highways that are considered part of the interstate system but aren't controlled-access expressways. Maybe with a black-and-white shield instead of the blue-and-red standard.

Bobby5280

Quote from: jbnvThe US 190 corridor through Texas is part of a multi-state I-14 corridor.

It's a multi-state corridor that connects no major destinations. A combination of 2-lane and 4-lane divided roads with at grade crossings would serve that corridor just fine. An Interstate highway through there is overkill. Plus the proposed Interstate follows a jagged, crooked, time wasting and distance wasting path. There's little efficiency for it to benefit long distance traffic.

Quote from: The GhostbusterDoes anyone believe that US 290 will also get an Interstate designation. I am somewhat skeptical. Personally, US 190 should be an I-X35 spur for starters, and should only become Interstate 14 if more of the freeway is designated and built to the east or the west.

US-290 between Houston and Austin is a far more busy corridor than US-190. It's busy enough to justify being a full blown Interstate bearing a 2-digit designation like I-14. It's far more justifiable than the nonsensical, pork barrel proposal to the North. The road going into Killeen just needs to be a 3-digit I-35 spur, that's all. Metro Austin has around 2 million people and more than 900,000 live within Austin City Limits. More than 6 million people live in the Houston MSA, with over 2 million living within Houston city limits. US-290 is the primary, direct connection for both these cities.

jbnv

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 14, 2016, 04:21:33 PM
Quote from: jbnvThe US 190 corridor through Texas is part of a multi-state I-14 corridor.

It's a multi-state corridor that connects no major destinations. [1] A combination of 2-lane and 4-lane divided roads with at grade crossings would serve that corridor just fine. An Interstate highway through there is overkill. Plus the proposed Interstate follows a jagged, crooked, time wasting and distance wasting path. There's little efficiency for it to benefit long distance traffic. [2]

[1] So?

[2] US 190 is jagged and crooked. Doesn't mean that the interstate that will follow it will follow the existing route to a T.

The Ghostbuster

I reverse my skepticism on 290. Interstate 14 (if it goes further than what's proposed in Texas) should follow US 290 to Houston. Then maybe it should follow the US 90 Crosby Freeway out of Houston. I know this is Fictional Highways City, but it would be a legitimate Interstate Route IMHO.

SquonkHunter

US-290 between Houston and Austin is a far more busy corridor than US-190. It's busy enough to justify being a full blown Interstate bearing a 2-digit designation like I-14. It's far more justifiable than the nonsensical, pork barrel proposal to the North. The road going into Killeen just needs to be a 3-digit I-35 spur, that's all. Metro Austin has around 2 million people and more than 900,000 live within Austin City Limits. More than 6 million people live in the Houston MSA, with over 2 million living within Houston city limits. US-290 is the primary, direct connection for both these cities.

I live not far off US-290 a ways east of Austin and travel it every day into Austin as part of my commute to work. Once you get east of Elgin, the roadway reverts to the old undivided, four 11-foot wide lanes with NO shoulders and the traffic volume and high speed makes for extremely deadly conditions, especially on weekends. Just last week there was yet another multiple fatality wreck near McDade. I could not count how many have died along the Elgin to Giddings section of US-290 in the 15+ years I have lived here. It is the last remaining stretch from Austin to Houston that is not at least a 4 lane divided highway if not a true controlled access freeway or tollway. An interstate designation would be reasonable but not absolutely necessary. What IS necessary is completion of the Elgin-Giddings gap ASAP. It really should have been done 20 years ago as the traffic count was high even back then.

Bobby5280

Regardless of wherever this silly "I-14" thing in Texas gets built (if it ever gets built), US-290 between Houston and Austin will be an extremely far more important corridor. That's really where "I-14" needs to be placed. This nonsense about a highway linking Killeen, TX to Alexandria, LA and maybe even going to Macon, GA is just a stupid waste of money. Such a route will never generate the traffic counts to justify it. It wouldn't even work as a proper relief route for I-20. That's the only stretch of the imagination I can see to make any sense of it. But long distance personal vehicle and commercial vehicle traffic going through Texas and the Deep South would more likely stick to I-20 and the more interesting and business-doing destinations along its path.

Quote from: jbnv[1] So?

So let's waste billions of dollars on an Interstate highway in a corridor where there is absolutely zero justification for an Interstate highway?

Quote from: jbnv[2] US 190 is jagged and crooked. Doesn't mean that the interstate that will follow it will follow the existing route to a T.

The illustrations from this pork barrel, vanity route show a very jagged, stupid, wasteful, totally not direct and not really going anywhere route. If there was any way to show it taking a more direct, efficient path I would have figured such a path would show up on these early illustrations and only get more and more jagged as court challenges progressed. This porky, jagged version of I-14 hasn't even gone to court yet and it's already jagged as hell. For all I know the final route will be doing loop-dee-loops back over on itself!

jbnv

Dude. Chill.

Who said that any plans have actually been made to build the complete I-14 route? What money has been dedicated to it?

I'm certain that Texas is more interested in upgrading US 290 than in building I-14. The need is obvious.

longhorn

Quote from: SquonkHunter on April 16, 2016, 03:12:19 PM

I live not far off US-290 a ways east of Austin and travel it every day into Austin as part of my commute to work. Once you get east of Elgin, the roadway reverts to the old undivided, four 11-foot wide lanes with NO shoulders and the traffic volume and high speed makes for extremely deadly conditions, especially on weekends. Just last week there was yet another multiple fatality wreck near McDade. I could not count how many have died along the Elgin to Giddings section of US-290 in the 15+ years I have lived here. It is the last remaining stretch from Austin to Houston that is not at least a 4 lane divided highway if not a true controlled access freeway or tollway. An interstate designation would be reasonable but not absolutely necessary. What IS necessary is completion of the Elgin-Giddings gap ASAP. It really should have been done 20 years ago as the traffic count was high even back then.

That stretch on 290 is dangerous, why TxDot has not even come with concepts to fix or replace that part of 290 is strange. Maybe they see 71 as the main route Austinites use to get to Houston.

The 195 project is done between Killeen and Georgetown, its now four land divided highway and interstate grade around Florence. Before this, it was a crooked two lane road that so dangerous Ft Hood troops were forbidden by the base commander to be use it. TxDot pushed that project through, they should also do the same for that stretch on 290.

jbnv

Quote from: longhorn on April 21, 2016, 10:24:13 AM
That stretch on 290 is dangerous, why TxDot has not even come with concepts to fix or replace that part of 290 is strange. Maybe they see 71 as the main route Austinites use to get to Houston.

Perhaps something political is in play. I'd look at the counties and communities along the route, who's the chief executive of those communities, and the Congressmen and state senators/representatives. If those people can't give you a good reason for the lack of development, you can suspect something funny is going on.

wxfree

They officially want to do this.

6. Transportation Planning
Bell and Coryell Counties - Authorize the submission of an application to the American
Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials to establish a 25-mile segment of US 190 as I-14 (MO)
In accordance with the procedures established by the Federal Highway Administration and American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), this minute order authorizes the department to petition AASHTO to include a segment of US 190 from the US 190/Business 190 junction in Copperas Cove to I-35 in Belton, Texas as part of the Interstate Highway System as I-14.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/commission/2016/0428/agenda.pdf
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jbnv

It's entirely possible that TxDOT has considered getting an I-12 designation for US 290. Maybe they are using the I-14 application as a test for applying for I-12.

Like it or not, they're sold on US 190 becoming I-14.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: wxfree on April 21, 2016, 04:59:35 PM

Bell and Coryell Counties - Authorize the submission of an application to the American
Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials to establish a 25-mile segment of US 190 as I-14 (MO)
In accordance with the procedures established by the Federal Highway Administration and American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), this minute order authorizes the department to petition AASHTO to include a segment of US 190 from the US 190/Business 190 junction in Copperas Cove to I-35 in Belton, Texas as part of the Interstate Highway System as I-14.

Dumb.  Even overlooking the idiotic choice in numbering (there's already an I-12!!), 25 miles just ain't enough.

noelbotevera

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 21, 2016, 06:35:05 PM
Quote from: wxfree on April 21, 2016, 04:59:35 PM

Dumb.  Even overlooking the idiotic choice in numbering (there's already an I-12!!), 25 miles just ain't enough.
What about I-2, with its amazing 47 miles in length?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.