News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Texas: US 380 Denton-Decatur widening update (includes funky US Shields)

Started by Brian556, February 22, 2013, 04:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Just drove US 380 from Decatur east to Denton. The new shields are a funky shape. The ones at Business 380 have an "F" on the bottom of them. Only the Business Shields should have this.

The intersection of Business US 380 and FM 51 on the east side of Decatur has been modified to favor FM 51. This means if you are coming east out of Decatur on Bus US 380, you'll have to turn right to stay on it.

The section of US 380 from BUS US 380 east to Denton County Line is complete. The original road was refurbished, and used for the eastbound lanes. The westbound lanes are concrete. This switches just west of the Denton County Line.

Gotta say this is nice. They turned a hell road into a pleasent drive.

In Denton County, west of FM 2622, the new eastbound lanes are complete, and it appears that thaey are about to switch two-way traffic over to them, then refurbish the old road for westbound traffic.

East of FM 2622, traffic is still on the original road, and grading and bridge work is taking place for the new lanes. at FM 2622, the new lanes will be on the north side, but this transitions to the south side a short distance to the east.

The east end of the project is a FM 156.

Road Hog

Looks like contractor error on the "F" stickers. Those signs were probably intended to be mounted with a Business banner elsewhere.

cjk374

I drove that road back in June, & the 2-lane section was a hell road.  :evilgrin:  It was good to see them widening it.

I don't know why, but I kinda like those shields.  They look better than the '71 specs I've been seeing lately.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bugo

Looks like a "Missouri Expressway" where the new lanes are flatter than the old lanes.

djsinco

I used to drive across this part of 380 regularly about 15-20 years ago. The ROW for widening the 2-lane was surveyed and marked even then. It was not usually too bad of a drive, but I am certain that there is much more traffic volume now than there was back then.
3 million miles and counting

Brian556

Quotecertain that there is much more traffic volume now than there was back then.

How long ago are you referring to? It is really bad now, with long solid lines of vehicles going in either direction on the two-lane portions. A large percentage of traffic is commercial trucks, and they practically blow you off the road when you go by one headed in the opposite direction.

It can take a very long time (several minutes) to get out onto the highway from an intersecting road.

There are frequent fatal accidents. It's been this way for a long time now.

djsinco

Brian; In my post, I referred to 15-20 years ago. My main point was that the surveying and markings for widening were visible at that time. Of course, everything is busier now than it was then.

Cheers! :coffee:
3 million miles and counting

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on February 22, 2013, 04:37:26 PM
Just drove US 380 from Decatur east to Denton. The new shields are a funky shape. The ones at Business 380 have an "F" on the bottom of them. Only the Business Shields should have this.

Those look a bit like Kansas US Shields

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.