News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Early, early on, cable was billed as ad-free TV. By the time I remember watching it -- 1985-86, there were commercials for sure.

When Cartoon Network expanded with the Boomerang Channel, it was originally commercial free, albeit with short Boomerang IDs or skits in lieu of where commercial breaks would air.  Those were the days!

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 29, 2024, 08:46:33 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 29, 2024, 06:59:51 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 29, 2024, 05:19:56 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 28, 2024, 08:37:47 PM
Quote from: kkt on February 27, 2024, 11:54:07 PM
Mouses

That doesn't sound right.

Quote from: mgk920 on February 28, 2024, 02:25:03 PM
mice

That doesn't sound right, either.

meese
Vermin

Mousi

Le Mousse.

D-Dey65

Mouses are pretty cheap.

True. It's often harder to find one that isn't a remote mouse though.

elsmere241

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 29, 2024, 10:03:45 AM
Mouses are pretty cheap.

I got a new laptop recently that didn't come with a mouse.  Because I have two other laptops (one is for work) I asked my wife (who works at Staples) to get me a wired mouse.  No one at Staples could understand why.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: elsmere241 on February 29, 2024, 10:22:44 AM
Mouses are pretty cheap.

I got a new laptop recently that didn't come with a mouse.  Because I have two other laptops (one is for work) I asked my wife (who works at Staples) to get me a wired mouse.  No one at Staples could understand why.

Did I miss in this thread why you prefer a wired one?

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 10:59:43 AM

I do too.  The battery never goes dead, and there's never a lost connection.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 29, 2024, 11:09:54 AM

I, sadly, have enough wires around my mouse area, so I'm glad I have a wireless (vertical) mouse, which I've never lost connection to other than a battery issue. I have a USB hub with various chargers (headphones, watch, a wireless pad for my phone, etc.), so one less wire is welcome.

kkt

The battery always seems to go dead at the least convenient time - want to print out my tickets to a show and need to get out the door to get to our dinner reservations? 

1995hoo

Mouses are pretty cheap.

Finding a wired one that's suitable for left-handed use is even more difficult. (I'm not left-handed, but I use my left hand to control the mouse.) I have a wireless mouse for my personal PC but am required to use a wired mouse for work and I didn't like the one they provided me (too small for my hand and the buttons sometimes seemed unresponsive). Only downside of getting my own is that while it works without installing a driver, if I want to be able to program the buttons, I have to install the software that came with it and that means having IT remote in to do it, which isn't worth the trouble.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

elsmere241

And with as many as three laptops on my desk, I don't want to deal with crossed connections.

GaryV

Quote from: elsmere241 on February 29, 2024, 11:28:18 AM
And with as many as three laptops on my desk, I don't want to deal with crossed connections.
My wife seldom uses her mouse, so often it gets left in the office. I took my computer in there and started moving her mouse around on the desk and wondered why it didn't work.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 29, 2024, 08:46:33 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 29, 2024, 06:59:51 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 29, 2024, 05:19:56 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 28, 2024, 08:37:47 PM
Mouses

That doesn't sound right.

Quote from: mgk920 on February 28, 2024, 02:25:03 PM
mice

That doesn't sound right, either.

meese
Vermin

Mousi

This made me remember that Plurals thread we had a few years ago, including using Latin/Greek declensions ad absurdum (e.g. an explosion, a full battle of "explosia", and an entire war worth of "explosiae").
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

D-Dey65

I just realized that it's probably not the mouse. It's the stupid Microsoft update. They screwed me up the same way a few months ago. I'm going to see if I can set this PC back to an earlier date.

UPDATE; MARCH 1, 2024; Okay, now things are even worse. I can't make blended photos anymore. If I try to add one to the right side of the other, it posts the second photo on top of the first one and doesn't let me move it off to the side.  On top of that, when I clicked the bold type button on this post, it gave me two sets of markups, not one.

kphoger

1.  When you click on a taskbar icon to open the program, then it doesn't do anything for a while, so you click to open it again, and then a minute later two windows of the same program pop open.

2.  When you double-click a desktop icon to open the program, but for some reason it doesn't open.  I've started triple-clicking just to avoid this.
Male pronouns, please.

kurumi

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2024, 10:52:41 AM
1.  When you click on a taskbar icon to open the program, then it doesn't do anything for a while, so you click to open it again, and then a minute later two windows of the same program pop open.

Related: you launch a program that's slow to open, but you know this, so you go work on something else. As soon as the slowpoke app is ready, it interrupts you, opens a top-level window, and grabs your keyboard focus.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

1995hoo

2.  When you double-click a desktop icon to open the program, but for some reason it doesn't open.  I've started triple-clicking just to avoid this.

I find double-clicking annoying and inconsistent enough that I often right-click and then use the pop-up menu, or I click once and hit "Enter" on the keyboard. For the most part I tend not to open programs like Word or Excel directly anyway—I open a document that then causes the appropriate program to open. Related to that, it means that sometimes it's important to use the right-click menu if I want to revise a document template (.dotx file) or other file for which the default option is to create a new document based on it, rather than editing the file itself.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

There are a few websites I use regularly that suppress all signals a page is loading when you click on a link.  One of them even requires a double, rather than a single, click to follow a link.  These often reduce me to using net logging (F12 in both Firefox and Chrome) just to verify that the click event has been sent to the server.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

There's this ticket system I use at work.  First I have to choose the company name from a dropdown, then I have to choose the region from another dropdown, then the ticket type from another dropdown, and so on.  Those first two have to be done in order.  But the company name dropdown is in a field halfway down the rightmost column, and the region dropdown is at the bottom of the center column.  This bothers me.  They should up at the top-left.
Male pronouns, please.

D-Dey65

I just tried to revert the problems with the system restore function. My browsers are still crashing, and now my iTunes app doesn't work.

thenetwork

I once worked for a company where when I tried to click on a certain application, the computer would crash or freeze at least once or twice a week, where I would have to contact one of the owners to fix the issue.

Then these owners (who I later found out used shady tactics for a lot of their operations) later had the GALL to scold me and telling me that" double-clicking" the app when starting it, and any icons within the app would cause the computer to crash, and then I MUST ONLY SINGLE-CLICK ICONS IN THE COMPUTER.

Then when I would start single-clicking everything, the computer would still freeze/crash on a regular basis.  Not long after that I was fired (still collected unemployment as the state agreed that they had no basis on firing me -- more like they tried to get me to quit, but I trudged on despite the toxic environment).

I'd be willing to bet that they were using pirated copies of El Cheapo software, as they were such shiesters!

ZLoth

The alienation of the customer continues at HP. From SOURCE:

HP is in the rent-a-printer business now
You already barely own your printer, anyway, but is renting it better?
QuoteHP has a new proposition in a time when (companies like it have made sure) you don't really control much about your computer anyway: why don't you just let HP rent you one? The company debuted a subscription service today — just like CEO Enrique Lores said it would last month — called the HP All-In Plan. It's essentially an extension of HP's Instant Ink, and like that plan, you'll have ink sent to you as you approach empty, but unlike it, your monthly fee also covers the printer itself.

Which printer you get depends on the plan you choose. They start at $6.99 per month for 20 pages' worth of prints and whatever the current HP Envy model is, and go all the way up to a $35.99-a-month affair that gets you an OfficeJet Pro and 700 pages. If you go over your page allotment, HP will add more for a dollar per block of 10–15 pages.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Scott5114

When you're texting or DMing someone and ask them a question that you need the answer to in order to do something else, and then that point happens to be when they stop responding because they're doing something else.

And then when they get back it's long enough that the conversation starts with the pleasantries ("good morning", etc) and they don't acknowledge the question the previous conversation left off on, so you have to awkwardly ask it again.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2024, 10:05:44 AM
When you're texting or DMing someone and ask them a question that you need the answer to in order to do something else, and then that point happens to be when they stop responding because they're doing something else.

And then when they get back it's long enough that the conversation starts with the pleasantries ("good morning", etc) and they don't acknowledge the question the previous conversation left off on, so you have to awkwardly ask it again.

Are you shadowing my screen at work? This sounds like my life.

Until entering this industry, I had no idea how bad tech people were at getting back to you. In the restaurant world, you at least got a "Heard". I get radio silence for months sometimes despite bi-weekly follow ups.

TheHighwayMan3561

Autofill unloading after one extra keystroke as you go to hit ENTER, so you end up searching for "butt" instead of "butterscotch sundaes" when there was no reason for it to remove the autofill.

Fast food restaurants wanting a name for your order. I don't think it improves quality of service from a customer perspective and it's one more question that cashiers have to ask you to repeat because they didn't hear it correctly.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kkt

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 04, 2024, 03:12:40 PM
Autofill unloading after one extra keystroke as you go to hit ENTER, so you end up searching for "butt" instead of "butterscotch sundaes" when there was no reason for it to remove the autofill.

Fast food restaurants wanting a name for your order. I don't think it improves quality of service from a customer perspective and it's one more question that cashiers have to ask you to repeat because they didn't hear it correctly.

But if they give out numbers, some customers will forget their number by the time their food is ready.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.