Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LM117

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 10, 2020, 06:53:32 PM
https://twitter.com/statter911/status/1281672444600885249?s=21

I wonder how long it will be before some dumbass either tries to drive between the barrels or just knocks 'em over.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadrunner75

1995hoo

Quote from: LM117 on July 10, 2020, 07:22:18 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 10, 2020, 06:53:32 PM
(Tweet omitted)

I wonder how long it will be before some dumbass either tries to drive between the barrels or just knocks 'em over.

I assume it's happened already.

1995hoo

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

plain

All of this really says something about the patience (or impatience) of some drivers. These fools are risking everyone's safety to save 10 minutes MAX. It's not like this is at Springfield or beyond...
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

I-64 / 664 Corridor Improvement Plan
QuoteWhat's Happening

The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB), supported by the Office of Intermodal Planning and Investment (OIPI), the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and the Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT), will study Interstate 64 and I-664 from the West Virginia state line to the Hampton Roads Region to initiate a data-driven analysis for the development of the 64 / 664 Corridor Improvement Plan, which will:

* Identify key problem areas along the corridor, and
* Identify potential solutions and areas for additional review and study

As directed by the CTB, the study team will identify targeted improvements and incident management strategies for the corridor.
As a follow up to the recently completed I-95 Corridor Improvement Plan, the CTB has begun efforts for an I-64 Corridor Improvement Plan that also includes I-664 in Chesapeake, Suffolk, Newport News, and Hampton, which functions as the western portion of the Hampton Roads Beltway and an alternate routing for I-64 through Norfolk and the HRBT.

A survey is available to provide input: https://va64corridor.metroquest.com/
Project Website: https://www.i-64-664publicinfo.com/
CTB Page: http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/projects/major_projects/i-64_study.asp

My opinion on some major investments that are needed along the corridors:
* Widening to 6 lanes between 1 mile west of Exit 234 (VA-199) and Exit 205 (VA-249).
* Climbing lane on uphill segments through Afton Mountain west of Charlottesville.
* Widening I-664 to 8 to 10 lanes throughout, to include three general purpose lanes and 1 or 2 HO/T lanes in each direction.
* Widening to 8 lanes along the I-95 / I-64 overlap through Downtown Richmond, along with west of I-95 towards Short Pump.
* In the long term, eventual widening to 6 lanes through Charlottesville as traffic volumes grow and begin exceeding 50,000 - 60,000 AADT, possibly 15-20 years from now.
* Expansion of Exit 299 (I-64 / I-664 / I-264 / US-58 Bowers Hill) interchange.
* Expansion of Exit 291 (I-64 / I-464 / VA-168 / US-17 Oak Grove) interchange to include flyovers to/from VA-168 / US-17 to the south and braided ramp movements between Exit 291 and Exit 290 (VA-168 Business).
* Expansion of Exit 282 (US-13) interchange in Norfolk.
* Expansion of Exit 276 - 277 (I-564 / VA-168) interchange complex in Norfolk to include right-hand entrances and exits, eliminating the current VA-168 North left entrance and I-564 left exit and to properly accommodate proposed two-way HO/T lane continuity through the area.
* Expansion of Exit 250 (VA-105) interchange in Newport News.
* Expansion of Exit 190 (I-95 / I-64 eastern split) interchange in Downtown Richmond. More through lanes, better geometry, braided ramps, etc.

Jmiles32

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 16, 2020, 01:04:51 AM
My opinion on some major investments that are needed along the corridors:
* Widening to 6 lanes between 1 mile west of Exit 234 (VA-199) and Exit 205 (VA-249).
* Climbing lane on uphill segments through Afton Mountain west of Charlottesville.
* Widening I-664 to 8 to 10 lanes throughout, to include three general purpose lanes and 1 or 2 HO/T lanes in each direction.
* Widening to 8 lanes along the I-95 / I-64 overlap through Downtown Richmond, along with west of I-95 towards Short Pump.
* In the long term, eventual widening to 6 lanes through Charlottesville as traffic volumes grow and begin exceeding 50,000 - 60,000 AADT, possibly 15-20 years from now.
* Expansion of Exit 299 (I-64 / I-664 / I-264 / US-58 Bowers Hill) interchange.
* Expansion of Exit 291 (I-64 / I-464 / VA-168 / US-17 Oak Grove) interchange to include flyovers to/from VA-168 / US-17 to the south and braided ramp movements between Exit 291 and Exit 290 (VA-168 Business).
* Expansion of Exit 282 (US-13) interchange in Norfolk.
* Expansion of Exit 276 - 277 (I-564 / VA-168) interchange complex in Norfolk to include right-hand entrances and exits, eliminating the current VA-168 North left entrance and I-564 left exit and to properly accommodate proposed two-way HO/T lane continuity through the area.
* Expansion of Exit 250 (VA-105) interchange in Newport News.
* Expansion of Exit 190 (I-95 / I-64 eastern split) interchange in Downtown Richmond. More through lanes, better geometry, braided ramps, etc.

I agree with all of this and in addition, would recommend new interchanges at Gayton Road (serving Short Pump) and somewhere between Exits 250 and 255 serving the Newport News area (at the new Atkinson Blvd or Denbigh Blvd or Bland Blvd).

However, after seeing the project recommendations of the recently completed I-95 and I-81 studies, I suspect the state will be more likely to recommend things such as acceleration/de-acceleration lane extensions, more buses, commuter lots, HOT lanes up I-664, etc. The recommendation of climbing lanes on I-81 gives me hope that maybe Afton mountain could finally get some too. I could possibly see another phase or two of I-64 widening between Richmond and Williamsburg being recommended but I doubt all of it. Having additional money coming in from the HRTAC and newly created CVTA (Richmond) certainly helps so its possible that we could see projects like phase 2 of the I-64 high rise bridge or additional phases of the I-64/I-264 interchage area improvements as well.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

1995hoo

VDOT tweeted this afternoon that they and Transurban will install bollards in the gore area seen in the various tweets in this thread.

1995hoo

1995hoo

In this video, you can see the new pylons they erected at Ramp G in response to the issue seen in earlier posts. I've seen some suggestions that they ought to put more of them on the near side to stop people already on the highway from cutting to the right to use the acceleration lane as a passing lane (like the guy in the red pickup 24 seconds into this video), but I don't expect to see that happen.

https://twitter.com/STATter911/status/1285214895500333064?s=20

(BTW, ethanman62187 is one of the people who replied to that tweet.)

Dougtone

Come take a virtual trip down US 211 in Virginia! Spend the morning driving across US 211 in Virginia. From small towns to valley floors to the Piedmont to Blue Ridge Mountain gaps, there is a lot to see and do along one of the shortest U.S. highways around. Leaves plenty of time for brunch!

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/07/a-morning-on-virginias-us-route-211.html

74/171FAN

Quote from: Dougtone on July 22, 2020, 06:43:11 PM
Come take a virtual trip down US 211 in Virginia! Spend the morning driving across US 211 in Virginia. From small towns to valley floors to the Piedmont to Blue Ridge Mountain gaps, there is a lot to see and do along one of the shortest U.S. highways around. Leaves plenty of time for brunch!

I am surprised that you did not mention Washington, VA.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

odditude

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 22, 2020, 06:58:27 PM

I'll be heading to said town on Saturday. Anything you'd like pictures of?

Dougtone

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2020, 08:27:51 PM

I actually have photos from Washington, VA from a previous trip in the area. Fortunately, it will be easy enough to add them to the blog post.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Dougtone on July 22, 2020, 08:47:56 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2020, 08:27:51 PM

I actually have photos from Washington, VA from a previous trip in the area. Fortunately, it will be easy enough to add them to the blog post.

Thank you.  I was just surprised to not see it included as part of the post.

I clinched the US 211 BUS and the unsigned US 522 BUS routes there one time coming back to PA from my parents' house.  I had been using I-64 to US 15 to VA 231 to US 522 (including the US 211 and US 340 concurrencies) to get to I-81 in Winchester.  It is obviously better on a Sunday than I-95 south of Fredericksburg, and the Thanksgiving congestion on I-81 has never affected me between Winchester and Harrisburg.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Spiffy street signs out front here (well, really across the street).

US-211 Business comes from the right in the picture below, makes a left at the stop sign, and heads back down to US-211 south of town. If instead you turn right, north of town it becomes Fodderstack Road and takes you to US-522 in Flint Hill.

US-211 Business is signed on the main road but not here in town.

The building in the picture, for those unfamiliar, is the famous Inn at Little Washington.

AlexandriaVA

I was in Washington VA a few weeks ago on the way back from Shenandoah national Park...the Inn (which is basically the only thing in town) has mannequins in the dining room. You can see them from the window in front.

The proprietor wanted to stay open with limited dining room capacity, but without the dining room seeming too vacant, hence the use of mannequins.

1995hoo

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 26, 2020, 03:33:01 PM
I was in Washington VA a few weeks ago on the way back from Shenandoah national Park...the Inn (which is basically the only thing in town) has mannequins in the dining room. You can see them from the window in front.

The proprietor wanted to stay open with limited dining room capacity, but without the dining room seeming too vacant, hence the use of mannequins.
Here you go. The dining room is at roughly half capacity now. When it was busy last night (our dinner reservation was at 8:15), the mannequins didn't look all that weird. If you look closely, though, you can see the man kneeling in the second picture to propose to the woman who looks sort of like Taylor Swift has a leg that is in a stranger position than Joe Theismann's or Alex Smith's were when they broke them playing for the Redskins.

famartin

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 26, 2020, 10:10:35 AM

Spiffy street signs out front here (well, really across the street).

US-211 Business comes from the right in the picture below, makes a left at the stop sign, and heads back down to US-211 south of town. If instead you turn right, north of town it becomes Fodderstack Road and takes you to US-522 in Flint Hill.

US-211 Business is signed on the main road but not here in town.

Completely unsigned but noted on VDOT documents, Bus US 211 is also Bus US 522.

Dougtone

I had some photos from Washington. VA from an earlier trip I took in 2011 (which involved clinching US 522) and decided to insert a few photos from that trip to the post, which I've updated.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 26, 2020, 04:58:15 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 26, 2020, 03:33:01 PM

Here you go. The dining room is at roughly half capacity now. When it was busy last night (our dinner reservation was at 8:15), the mannequins didn't look all that weird. If you look closely, though, you can see the man kneeling in the second picture to propose to the woman who looks sort of like Taylor Swift has a leg that is in a stranger position than Joe Theismann's or Alex Smith's were when they broke them playing for the Redskins.

(Creepy photos removed)
I think that would make for a pretty unsettling experience.  As you will find at the end of your dinner, the mannequins were once actually other diners like you.....just out for a night on the town.....in the twilight zone.

AlexandriaVA

At the price that patrons are spending at this place, nothing's going to faze them.

The restaurateur was quoted as saying they constantly have wedding proposals in the dining room, hence the depicted scene.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.