News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

I don't think I-94 needs to be six lanes directly west of Eau Claire.  Perhaps working east from Hudson over time.

I-39

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 20, 2021, 07:36:50 PM
I don't think I-94 needs to be six lanes directly west of Eau Claire.  Perhaps working east from Hudson over time.

Probably between Hudson and WIS 29 would be sufficient, along with implementing the proposed I-94/WIS 29 interchange improvement.

Revive 755

The new ramps at the I-39/I-90/I-43 interchange in Beloit are open.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: I-39 on November 20, 2021, 09:33:44 PM

Probably between Hudson and WIS 29 would be sufficient, along with implementing the proposed I-94/WIS 29 interchange improvement.

I think that would be too much. 

US 12 fan

{The new ramps at the I-39/I-90/I-43 interchange in Beloit are open.}

Is the new alignment for Highway 81 finished yet? And if it is, are there any pictures available?

I-39

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 20, 2021, 11:56:49 PM

I think that would be too much.

The Interstate will need to be modernized in that stretch at some point. Might as well go six lanes.

Revive 755

Quote from: US 12 fan on November 21, 2021, 01:23:36 AM
Is the new alignment for Highway 81 finished yet? And if it is, are there any pictures available?

Someone else will need to answer the Highway 81 question - I only tried the SB to NB and SB to SB ramps between I-39/I-90 and I-43.  I don't recall seeing any detour signage along the interstates or at the roundabouts at the Hart Road interchange.

KCRoadFan

What's going on with the westernmost section of Highway 11 (between Hazel Green and the interchange on US 151 across the river from Dubuque)? I saw that it was closed when I went up earlier this month to visit my brother in Madison.

tchafe1978

Quote from: KCRoadFan on November 21, 2021, 11:06:42 PM
What's going on with the westernmost section of Highway 11 (between Hazel Green and the interchange on US 151 across the river from Dubuque)? I saw that it was closed when I went up earlier this month to visit my brother in Madison.

It was getting repaved. I believe it just opened back up last week.

tchafe1978

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 21, 2021, 10:25:41 PM

Someone else will need to answer the Highway 81 question - I only tried the SB to NB and SB to SB ramps between I-39/I-90 and I-43.  I don't recall seeing any detour signage along the interstates or at the roundabouts at the Hart Road interchange.

I believe everything is open on WI 81 in Beloit. They've been posting pictures throughout the project on the project facebook page. facebook.com/WisconsinI3990Project

invincor

I vote for 6-laning it all the way from Hudson to Eau Claire.  It's not just the number of vehicles, it's which ones, and it's very, very heavily travelled by trucks.  If you're in a car in the left lane, you can go for many miles without ever being able to read a sign posted on the right side of the road because it's solid trucks over there.

JREwing78

Aside from some minor detail work, Hwy 81  is finished. The I-39/90 project page on Facebook has photos of the work in the area.

Certain folks are less than thrilled about having to exit at Hart Rd now, but I suspect they'll get over it. The old cloverleaf was probably fine in the '60s, but 60 years later it was sketchy getting on and off the Interstate.

SM-G991U

SSOWorld

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 22, 2021, 08:40:01 PM

Aside from some minor detail work, Hwy 81  is finished. The I-39/90 project page on Facebook has photos of the work in the area.

Certain folks are less than thrilled about having to exit at Hart Rd now, but I suspect they'll get over it. The old cloverleaf was probably fine in the '60s, but 60 years later it was sketchy getting on and off the Interstate.

SM-G991U

Quote from: WisDOT
BELOIT
I-39/90 and I-43/WIS 81 interchange area reconstruction, Beloit

Nightly lane closures on I-39/90 northbound and southbound from Townline Road and Colley Road near Beloit.
8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday through Wednesday (Nov. 22-24)
Pay attention for crews and equipment near the travel lanes.
The WIS 81 bridges over I-39/90 in Beloit are OPEN in the Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) configuration.
Read more about the WIS 81 DDI and follow the overhead signs and pavement markings.
All I-39/90 and I-43 interchange flyover ramps are OPEN. Watch the signs to choose the appropriate lane/ramp to reach your destination.
​Download the I-39/90 and I-43 interchange navigation map for the permanent configuration.
I-43 southbound traffic wishing to enter Beloit must exit at County X/Hart Road (Exit 2).
Nightly closure of I-39/90 northbound ramp to WIS 81 (Exit 185 A) in Beloit.
10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday through Thursday nights (Nov. 29 — Dec. 2)
Alternate routes are required, such as I-39/90 northbound to I-43 exiting at County X/Hart Road to travel west on WIS 81.
WIS 81/Milwaukee Road is reduced to one lane each way between Cranston Road and I-39/90.
Access remains OPEN to local businesses.
Gateway Boulevard is reduced to one lane in each direction from S. Turtle Town Hall Road west to the railroad tracks.
Access is maintained to local businesses, including Kerry Corporation.
Read the I-39/90 and I-43 construction operations near Beloit.
Restoration work along the interchange ramp slopes.
Temporary pavement removal, permanent pavement markings and traffic signals.
Work continues for the reconstruction of the WIS 81 eastbound lanes from Ford Street/Freeman Parkway to the east.
https://projects.511wi.gov/i-39-90/wcu/

What the above said.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: invincor on November 22, 2021, 04:33:04 PM

I vote for 6-laning it all the way from Hudson to Eau Claire.  It's not just the number of vehicles, it's which ones, and it's very, very heavily travelled by trucks.  If you're in a car in the left lane, you can go for many miles without ever being able to read a sign posted on the right side of the road because it's solid trucks over there.

100% this!  Unpopular Opinion: Would go as far to say this is more important than any more upgrades to WIS 26 (especially new ROW).
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

TheHighwayMan3561

For what it's worth, I've noticed some bridges between Eau Claire and Tomah built with possible 6-lane expansion in mind as well.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

WarrenWallace

The only 'advantage' of a four lane road is that trucks and other large vehicles mostly stay in the right lane. With a six lane road, there is a decent amount of trucks that just camp in the middle lane. That pushes more vehicles into the left passing lane and enough people also will pass in the right lane.
I hate sprawl!

tosa

Quote from: WarrenWallace on November 23, 2021, 09:02:29 AM
The only 'advantage' of a four lane road is that trucks and other large vehicles mostly stay in the right lane. With a six lane road, there is a decent amount of trucks that just camp in the middle lane. That pushes more vehicles into the left passing lane and enough people also will pass in the right lane.

Driving on a 4 lane interstate with a lot of truck traffic (such as 65 in Indiana) is a nightmare. A passing truck in the left lane can easily block the whole traffic. And there are only two options for a passenger car at rush hour: either slowly following a semi in the right lane, or racing with other crazy drivers in the left lane.

JREwing78

Quote from: WarrenWallace on November 23, 2021, 09:02:29 AM
With a six lane road, there is a decent amount of trucks that just camp in the middle lane. That pushes more vehicles into the left passing lane and enough people also will pass in the right lane.

This country doesn't believe in proper driver's education or enforcing any kind of driving behaviors besides speeding. Wisconsin is also a non-believer in lane restrictions for large trucks, to the detriment of traffic.

SM-G991U

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 23, 2021, 09:57:39 AM
This country doesn't believe in proper driver's education or enforcing any kind of driving behaviors besides speeding. Wisconsin is also a non-believer in lane restrictions for large trucks, to the detriment of traffic.

Good.  Truck lane restrictions on high volume highways are actually less safe.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.3141/2096-04

chrismarion100

And the busiest part of the US 53 (south of 312) have an AADT of 47,100 and also if there is a crash blocking a lane traffic will back up
Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 20, 2021, 12:54:16 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 19, 2021, 03:45:00 PM
Does US 53 in Eau Claire really need to be 6 lanes? I could see them 6-laning Interstate 94, but not US 53.
Quote from: I-39 on November 19, 2021, 10:50:59 PM
No, but I-94 needs to probably be six lanes from Eau Claire to the Mississippi St. Croix River.

As a local, Yes. Especially, 53 between I-94 and WIS 312. It also comes up somewhat frequently in area media as a question asked by the public. The state has plans to start the EIS process in/ around 2026'ish, IIRC. As well as any expansion done along the corridor could likely be billed as a shovel-ready project as the facility was designed with expansion in mind and would require minimal new ROW. Even the major bridges had piers built wider then was necessary to accommodate future growth.
WisDOT was forced to put these along the road as well in past few years: https://goo.gl/maps/qvwD7X7aASr2xQrf8.

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: chrismarion100 on November 26, 2021, 07:27:50 PM
And the busiest part of the US 53 (south of 312) have an AADT of 47,100 and also if there is a crash blocking a lane traffic will back up
Does US 53 in Eau Claire really need to be 6 lanes? I could see them 6-laning Interstate 94, but not US 53.
No, but I-94 needs to probably be six lanes from Eau Claire to the Mississippi St. Croix River.

As a local, Yes. Especially, 53 between I-94 and WIS 312. It also comes up somewhat frequently in area media as a question asked by the public. The state has plans to start the EIS process in/ around 2026'ish, IIRC. As well as any expansion done along the corridor could likely be billed as a shovel-ready project as the facility was designed with expansion in mind and would require minimal new ROW. Even the major bridges had piers built wider then was necessary to accommodate future growth.
WisDOT was forced to put these along the road as well in past few years: https://goo.gl/maps/qvwD7X7aASr2xQrf8.

I'm not sure that that AADT fully justifies six lanes.  I drive on a four-lane freeway daily in a much larger metro with an AADT of 54,000, and it doesn't need expansion.  And a crash on any freeway will bring traffic to grinding halt.  People in small cities have a much lower tolerance for traffic.  Look at US 52 in Rochester, MN– expanded to six lanes around 2005 and it still isn't warranted.  However, people in Rochester will never tell you that. Wisconsin has bigger capacity issues than US 53. 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on November 29, 2021, 08:26:54 AM

I'm not sure that that AADT fully justifies six lanes.  I drive on a four-lane freeway daily in a much larger metro with an AADT of 54,000, and it doesn't need expansion.  And a crash on any freeway will bring traffic to grinding halt.  People in small cities have a much lower tolerance for traffic.  Look at US 52 in Rochester, MN– expanded to six lanes around 2005 and it still isn't warranted.  However, people in Rochester will never tell you that. Wisconsin has bigger capacity issues than US 53. 

Yep.  I drive to work every day on WI-172 that has 60,000+ per day.  Sure it can slow down a little, and bad weather or an accident can grind traffic to a halt, but there are multiple alternatives through the city I can take if I want.  And outside of about 30 minutes in the morning and evening, four lanes is more than enough. 

on_wisconsin

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 29, 2021, 08:45:36 AM

I’m not sure that that AADT fully justifies six lanes.  I drive on a four-lane freeway daily in a much larger metro with an AADT of 54,000, and it doesn’t need expansion.  And a crash on any freeway will bring traffic to grinding halt.  People in small cities have a much lower tolerance for traffic.  Look at US 52 in Rochester, MN— expanded to six lanes around 2005 and it still isn’t warranted.  However, people in Rochester will never tell you that. Wisconsin has bigger capacity issues than US 53. 

Yep.  I drive to work every day on WI-172 that has 60,000+ per day.  Sure it can slow down a little, and bad weather or an accident can grind traffic to a halt, but there are multiple alternatives through the city I can take if I want.  And outside of about 30 minutes in the morning and evening, four lanes is more than enough. 

US 53 gets fairly crowded in that area even during the weekends/ evenings and topography in the area also factors into need for widening. The expansion ready design of the bypass would likely make it significantly less costly and resource intensive then other potential major projects.

Altoona's 20%+ growth rate (third fastest in the state) over the past decade is another appreciable contributor. :coffee:
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SEWIGuy

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 29, 2021, 02:26:33 PM

US 53 gets fairly crowded in that area even during the weekends/ evenings and topography in the area also factors into need for widening. The expansion ready design of the bypass would likely make it significantly less costly and resource intensive then other potential major projects.

Altoona's 20%+ growth rate (third fastest in the state) over the past decade is another appreciable contributor. :coffee:

Everyone thinks their local project is somehow different. It likely isn't.

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 29, 2021, 06:40:12 PM
Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 29, 2021, 02:26:33 PM

Everyone thinks their local project is somehow different. It likely isn't.

I agree. 

The growth of Altoona pales in comparison to Madison's and Dane County's growth.  Lord knows there's plenty of capacity issues around Madison.  I suggest you, chrismarion,  drive the Beltline at peak hour and compare it to US 53.  On Wednesday alone, the three eastbound lanes were stopped for over eight miles.  I hope that the flex lane project offers some relief.  As I said, people's tolerance for congestion is directly proportional to a city's population.  And it doesn't seem right to throw limited resources at what are just perceived problems. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.