Seattle-area and Washington photos

Started by Bruce, May 21, 2014, 06:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

I got to tour one of our new light rail stations that is set to open in 2021. Full gallery here: https://seattletransitblog.com/2019/12/14/finishing-touches-for-northgate-link-as-work-continues-below/

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on December 14, 2019, 12:25:00 PM
I got to tour one of our new light rail stations that is set to open in 2021. Full gallery here: https://seattletransitblog.com/2019/12/14/finishing-touches-for-northgate-link-as-work-continues-below/

Awesome photos.

Is it fair to say that the old Bon Marche was "temporarily" part of Macy's? It's been branded as Macy's since 2005, with "Macy's" being part of name since 2003. That seems like a rather lengthy amount of time to label "temporary".

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on December 14, 2019, 07:01:52 PM

Awesome photos.

Is it fair to say that the old Bon Marche was "temporarily" part of Macy's? It's been branded as Macy's since 2005, with "Macy's" being part of name since 2003. That seems like a rather lengthy amount of time to label "temporary".

Considering that's 14-16 years out of the 69-year history of the mall, I think it's fair to call it temporary. I refuse to acknowledge the company that killed off the Bon.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on December 14, 2019, 09:14:58 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 14, 2019, 07:01:52 PM

Awesome photos.

Considering that's 14-16 years out of the 69-year history of the mall, I think it's fair to call it temporary. I refuse to acknowledge the company that killed off the Bon.

I get that; I'm sure you're not alone there. I guess "temporary" is relative. I just wouldn't personally call 20% of its life "temporary". But that's just me, and I didn't write the article.

Then again, for all we know, the recession could have killed off the Bon. At least Macy's outlived Lamonts.

Bruce

Sound Transit installed a third platform to Pioneer Square Station for forced transfers during the construction constraints over the next 10 weeks. Exciting stuff.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on January 07, 2020, 01:14:37 AM
Sound Transit installed a third platform to Pioneer Square Station for forced transfers during the construction constraints over the next 10 weeks. Exciting stuff.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Pioneer_Square_Station_center_platform_transfer_from_above.jpg/1280px-Pioneer_Square_Station_center_platform_transfer_from_above.jpg

That's really amazing. Are the trains timed to arrive at the same time?

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2020, 02:29:17 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Pioneer_Square_Station_center_platform_transfer_from_above.jpg/1280px-Pioneer_Square_Station_center_platform_transfer_from_above.jpg

What's also interesting is that it seems like the station was designed with space between the rails in the first place.  I find this unusual.  Usually, light rail or subway is designed with either an island platform or two side platforms.*  If there are two side platforms, they are designed with the train tracks right next to each other with no room for an extra platform.  So why was there space left here between the trains in the first place?  Were they expecting to accommodate transfers here originally?

* A few cases are designed with both side platforms and island platforms.  One that comes to mind is Five Points in Atlanta, designed that way because of the large amount of transfers, entering passengers use different platforms from exiting passengers and thus passengers can enter and exit the train at the same time.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on January 08, 2020, 12:38:50 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2020, 02:29:17 AM

What's also interesting is that it seems like the station was designed with space between the rails in the first place.  I find this unusual.  Usually, light rail or subway is designed with either an island platform or two side platforms.*  If there are two side platforms, they are designed with the train tracks right next to each other with no room for an extra platform.  So why was there space left here between the trains in the first place?  Were they expecting to accommodate transfers here originally?

The tunnel originally opened as a bus-only tunnel (the Metro Bus Tunnel). It's now known as the Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel (as it handled both trains and buses); it now operates with trains only. The gap between the directions, I believe, was to accommodate overtaking, so buses that had to move along quickly weren't encumbered by those having to wait. Here's an older picture of the bus tunnel before buses were removed:

(image from rookzie on urbanplanet.org)

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: mrsman on January 08, 2020, 12:38:50 AM

Before that, the buses ran on trolley wire, and each platform had a passing wire.  I remember riding in the bus behind another coach, and the driver was saying under her breath, "Don't take the passing wire."  That being said, I rarely if ever saw one bus pass another bus at a station, even if the forward bus was loading or unloading a wheelchair or if coaches were stopped at the rear of the two stops.  Especially once trains started running and the buses were off the wire, they were absolutely paranoid about a bus and train collision that they didn't let buses use the center lane.  However, one time I saw a bus break down at a station.  They finally moved it to the center lane so buses and trains could pass it.

Bruce

The only known shield on SR 513 in Seattle:

SR 525 and the Mukilteo Lighthouse:

A new two-way street for Downtown Seattle, as Columbia Street reopens for buses in a few days:

And a Minecraft-themed streetcar:

Bruce

Downtown Bellevue and the SR 520 Floating Bridge, as seen from the rooftop of the Bill and Melinda Gates Building on the UW campus.

Bruce

The mountains are out:

Bruce

For good measure, here's a great shot of the US 2 / Hewitt Avenue Trestle that I got yesterday.

jakeroot

Mt Rainier has been showing off the last few days too...

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on February 22, 2020, 01:54:13 AM

I really need to visit Tacoma as soon as I can for more Rainier pictures.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on February 22, 2020, 01:57:04 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 22, 2020, 01:54:13 AM

I really need to visit Tacoma as soon as I can for more Rainier pictures.

It's really photogenic from so much of Tacoma.

Bruce

Yesterday's skyline views:

Bruce

A few photos from a recent trip around the Olympic Peninsula and out to the southwestern tip of Washington.

Ruby Beach:

Rialto Beach:

Clallam Bay, looking across to Canada:

The Olympics from near Sequim:

Views from Mount Walker:

Mount St. Helens from the Columbia River in Wahkiakum County:

Cape Disappointment:

jakeroot

Cross-post from the "Washington" thread:

Quote from: jakeroot on July 28, 2021, 06:50:49 PM
Seattle's new Fairview Ave bridge went and opened this past weekend. I took some photos today:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWhP8oj

Here are some of my favorites. There are also some videos at that link that I can't post here without uploading to YouTube:

Looking south down Fairview Ave and the bridge by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Under the new bridge by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Bikes Merge Right by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Bruce

Drove up on US 2 yesterday and got some good colors between Stevens Pass and Leavenworth (where my car broke down right outside of town). So here's part 1, as I will have to return to get the shots I missed in the dark.

Bruce

A few East Link stations I photographed on Thursday. Forgive the smudges, the camera I'm borrowing is pretty hard to clean.

Judkins Park Station

Mercer Island Station

East Main Station

Wilburton Station

Bel-Red/130th Station

Overlake Village Station

Downtown Redmond Station

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.