News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Where do you think each unused 2di Interstate number is most likely?

Started by hotdogPi, October 15, 2018, 12:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

1: Given CA 1, it would have to be in Washington, Oregon, or Alaska. I would put WA 16 and WA 3 combined as the most likely, with a renumbering of Anchorage's freeway as second most likely.
3: US 101 in California.
6: Given Texas's rapid Interstate construction, Austin to Houston despite being out of grid (using the number 18 is also out of grid once 14 is built). Laredo to Corpus Christi takes second place, but it would be redundant to the I-69 complex.
7: CA 99. They're not going to renumber I-82 just because it has a bad number.
9: Also CA 99. Of course, it cannot be both I-7 and I-9, but both numbers, considered individually, are more likely to be this corridor than any other corridor.
13: Salt Lake City metro, after it expands further.
18: Meridian, MS to Macon, GA via Montgomery, AL and Columbus, GA. Second place is Austin to Houston.
21: Provo to the I-80/US 189 junction. It's short, but it's more likely than a long-distance corridor in the middle of nowhere.
23: Same as 21.
28: NC wants more Interstates... but anything that would be I-28 is either I-74 (US 74 freeway segments) or parallel to the coast and therefore odd-numbered (Myrtle Beach to Wilmington). I say that Dallas—Amarillo wins this one.
31: The Dakotas don't need one, and anything in Texas would either be an I-27 or I-44 extension... I say the most likely is Dallas to Kansas City despite being out of grid (so is I-29, so it's not that unlikely) and being an obvious I-45 extension... maybe Kansas numbers it before Oklahoma does.
32: Same as 28.
33: Same as 31.
34: Same as 28 and 32. Decatur AL — Huntsville AL — Chattanooga TN would also be a possibility for any of these three numbers, but Dallas—Amarillo is more likely.
36: While it could be the same as 28, 32, and 34, the main difference here is that NC already asked for an I-36. Charlotte to Raleigh, which currently has an all-freeway route that isn't quite straight. (36 is also higher, which would discourage TX slightly.)
38: Same as 36. Texas would probably want a lower number for their Dallas—Amarillo corridor.
46: Cumberland Parkway in Kentucky. Second place is US 412 in Oklahoma.
47: See 31, with a much more fitting number this time.
48: Same as 46.
50: Same as 48. There are no places to put a long I-50.
51: Avenue of the Saints.
52: Western Kentucky Parkway and Bluegrass Parkway.
53: Avenue of the Saints.
54: No, it's not US 54, despite what FritzOwl says. Western Kentucky Parkway and Bluegrass Parkway.
56: Western Kentucky Parkway and Bluegrass Parkway. California could build something connecting US 101 to I-5, but probably not.
58: I-580 → I-58 is only a "fix" to I-238, not something that will actually happen. The most likely I-58 is US 58 east of Emporia, once it is established (I-41, I-74) that Interstates and US routes can continue as each other.
60: Western Kentucky Parkway and Bluegrass Parkway. A good I-60 would be the combination of I-44 and I-64, but they're not going to renumber those just to put a 60 in the grid.
61: US 61 prevents the Avenue of the Saints from being I-61... Meridian MS, Tupelo MS, Jackson TN, Union City TN.
62: Western Kentucky Parkway and Bluegrass Parkway, with Roanoke to Richmond in second place... or possibly combine both, although it's unlikely.
63: Same route as 61 listed above. I believe there's a non-roadgeek (but also not official) proposal to make this corridor I-63.
67: If NC decided not to duplicate numbers, I would say US 321 (already freeway), screw the grid. However, I'm still going to say this. 65 and 75 are multiples of 5, 69 would be really confusing, and it's west of their own 73 and 77, so that leaves just 67 and 71.
92: WI 29, with a NY-NH-VT-ME corridor in second place.
98: US 11 in New York along the Ontario border.

This does not belong in Fictional. This is a thread about predicting the future, not creating our own routes.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

Mods, this should probably be in Fictional, since several of the corridors "1" suggests are nothing more than Pipe Dream.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on October 15, 2018, 12:51:55 PM
Fritz Owl, is that you in disguise?

I'm not FritzOwl.
1. FritzOwl only posts in Fictional.
2. FritzOwl is mostly consistent across threads. If this was FritzOwl, it would change his entire plan.
3. Note the lack of Interstates in WY/MT/ND/SD and other sparsely populated places. Most of the routes listed above are either already freeway or highly needed freeway corridors.

Keep in mind that some numbers are unlikely to ever be used, so while it's extremely unlikely, it's still the most likely of the possible corridors to have that number.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

I always thought the WK/BG combination would make a good I-58. And I thought that long before I-69 ate a third of the WK.

The other Kentucky parkways are good candidates for 3di's.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: 1 on October 15, 2018, 12:31:01 PM
1: Given CA 1, it would have to be in Washington, Oregon, or Alaska. I would put WA 16 and WA 3 combined as the most likely, with a renumbering of Anchorage's freeway as second most likely.

One of Anchorage's freeways is already part of unsigned Interstate A-1. If it's ever signed, it would likely be posted as such (or as A1), consistent with how Hawaii's H- Interstates are signed. That leaves I-1 available for use elsewhere.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Personally I'd say I-1 for US 101 north of San Francisco and I-3 for south.  If I-9 ever were a thing the US 395 corridor is a good fit. 

sparker

Out of the 33 remaining in the unused pool (35 if extended to I-101), there are only a handful that'll likely to be utilized during at least my lifetime (or by 2035 in actuarial years!):

36:  The US 74 corridor in NC; Columbus-Charlotte-Rockingham (bypassing Charlotte w/I-485).  NC can't resist it; they've tried to use that number before -- but it's actually appropriate here.
9:  The next CA SJ Valley congressman (Jeff Denham, come on down!) to get in electoral hot water will likely propose this for CA 99 (Wheeler Ridge-Sacramento) as a "looky here, see what I've done!" action.  It's already a designated future Interstate, so it's not "out of the blue", so to speak.  Caltrans'll bitch, but eventually erect signs -- and try to take some credit for it!
67:  I know right now the US 31>I-67 concept is dormant, but eventually enough of the corridor will be done that the idea will regain traction -- especially if MI finishes the most recent iteration of the US 31 to I-94/196 connector.  Grand Rapids or bust!
56:  A conditional entry, dependent upon plans for an east-end connector to either I-64 or I-75: the remainder of the WKY and Bluegrass (or Ford/Collins, if you will); can't see those remaining effectively unsigned (except to in-state cognoscienti) when much of the rest is going Interstate.  HB will likely pipe in on this; I do prefer 56 to 58 simply because of the proximity of US 58.
98: WI 29; Elk Mound (I-94) to Green Bay (I-41).  Likely for both situational (freeway or upgradeable expressway; new interchange with I-41) & political reasons (well, maybe not for Scott Walker!).
51: AOS (US 61, MO/IA 27, I-380, etc.).  Semi-adequate as it is (except for Hannibal & Waterloo area), likely to be advanced/developed as a political measure -- but only if MO can find a way out of their fiscal doldrums.

Really can't think of any others that either could be applied relatively readily or would have impetus to do so; there are some extensions of existing routes, of course, but that isn't the exercise here. 

kphoger

This does not belong in Fictional. This is a thread about predicting the future, not creating our own routes.

Quote from: froggie on October 15, 2018, 12:33:59 PM
Mods, this should probably be in Fictional, since several of the corridors "1" suggests are nothing more than Pipe Dream.

1, you didn't say please.
froggie, quit tattling on your brother.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

oscar

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 15, 2018, 02:00:16 PM
Personally I'd say I-1 for US 101 north of San Francisco and I-3 for south.  If I-9 ever were a thing the US 395 corridor is a good fit.

Since California doesn't allow route number duplication (and people there aren't used to it, unlike some eastern states), the state would need to renumber state routes to make room for the new Interstate numbers. CA 3, CA 7, and CA 9 could be renumbered without much fuss, but CA 1 is too big a deal to make its renumbering anywhere near likely.

The short CA 7 would be easiest to renumber, making I-7 a little more likely as a new number for CA 99 than I-9.

index

Elaborate on 13? The SLC area already seems pretty well-connected, even with potential for growth.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: oscar on October 15, 2018, 02:42:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 15, 2018, 02:00:16 PM

Since California doesn't allow route number duplication (and people there aren't used to it, unlike some eastern states), the state would need to renumber state routes to make room for the new Interstate numbers. CA 3, CA 7, and CA 9 could be renumbered without much fuss, but CA 1 is too big a deal to make its renumbering anywhere near likely.

The short CA 7 would be easiest to renumber, making I-7 a little more likely as a new number for CA 99 than I-9.

If anything the I-80 Business Loop proves that there are legislative Loop holes to allow a route to be signed something different than its definition...either my answer was totally assumptive and one I have zero delusion of ever happening.  I'm totally in agreement with 7 on the CA 99 corridor instead of 9.  9 is a more significant CA Route and there ought to be room in the Interstate system if I-580/US 395 was ever spun off into a 2d. 

jon daly

Quote from: kphoger on October 15, 2018, 02:31:17 PM

Quote from: froggie on October 15, 2018, 12:33:59 PM

1, you didn't say please.
froggie, quit tattling on your brother.

I'm amazed people care so much about which topics go on which boards. Maybe this is because I don't navigate by subforum; instead I click the links for unread posts since last visit or replies to my posts.

If they upgrade US-101 to an interstate, may I irrationally suggest I-pi?

dvferyance

1 Doesn't it already exist in Hawaii?
3 US 101 between San Fran and LA
6 No place it could go other than Mexico
7 CA 99 from near Bakersfield to Sacramento
9 A renumbered I-82
13 no idea
18 Georgia and Alabama along US 82
21 Nothing sticks out
23 Ditto as 21
28 no clue
31 I-135 in Kansas could extened it to Lincoln NE
32 Northern Texas maybe perhaps along US 380
33 Could use it to get rid of the I-35 suffixes so  that both cities get a mainline interstate
34 A renumbered I-74 in NC
36 Same as 34
38 Again nothing clear
46 Renumber I-87 in NC
47 I-69 in TX if I-69 is never connected
48 Could alos work as a renumberd I-87
50 Likely would never be used beacue of US 50
51 Avenue of the Saints
52 No idea
53 The propsed I-69 in Mississippi if it never gets that far
54 Who knows
56 Could use it for the remanider of the Western Kentucky Parkway
58 Same as 56
60 Same as 50 I-64 could have been I-60 but isn't due to the conflict with US 60
61 Along US 43 in Alabama
62 Southern Virginia along US 460 or perhaps the Bert Combs Mountian Parkway in Kentucky
63 Same as 61
67 US 31 and I-196 Indianapolis to Grand Rapids
92 US 20 in Iowa
98 US 2 in North Dakota

oscar

Quote from: dvferyance on October 15, 2018, 08:07:57 PM

Hawaii has H-1. Alaska has (unsigned) A-1. Puerto Rico has (unsigned) PRI-1.

All three are parts of distinct Interstate networks, added after the main Interstate network was established in the 1950s. None of them get in the way of a mainland I-1.

Beltway

Quote from: oscar on October 15, 2018, 08:16:09 PM
All three are parts of distinct Interstate networks, added after the main Interstate network was established in the 1950s. None of them get in the way of a mainland I-1.

There was an official proposal for a I-H4 --
http://www.hawaiihighways.com/proposed-Interstate-H4-report.pdf

Likewise the mainland already had an I-4.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

None of them get in the way of a mainland I-1.

...any more than Interstate H-2 gets in the way of Interstate 2.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Quote from: sparker on October 15, 2018, 02:21:00 PM
51: AOS (US 61, MO/IA 27, I-380, etc.).  Semi-adequate as it is (except for Hannibal & Waterloo area), likely to be advanced/developed as a political measure -- but only if MO can find a way out of their fiscal doldrums.

I'm still thinking the 2di for the AOTS (likely I-51 or I-53) will appear in Iowa first - possibly when the Waterloo to I-35 segment starts getting closer to being 100 percent freeway.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on October 15, 2018, 09:10:21 PM
None of them get in the way of a mainland I-1.

...any more than Interstate H-2 gets in the way of Interstate 2.

I-2 is so irrelevant I think most people here forget it exists. :)

I forget about it too!
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Occidental Tourist

I-9 or I-13 for a full freeway international freight corridor from I-10 in Indio to Mexicali.

sparker

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on October 16, 2018, 12:02:31 AM
I-9 or I-13 for a full freeway international freight corridor from I-10 in Indio to Mexicali.

Hey, if it'll help get the Westmorland bypass built, then I-13 might be feasible.  Most of the expressway along CA 111, CA 78, and CA 86 meets Interstate geometric standards (it's CA's closest equivalent to the classic upper-Midwest expressway/freeway facility, with some interchanges but mostly at-grade intersections).  I've used that combination many times as a long-range Phoenix bypass -- if you realize that you're going to hit PHX anywhere near commute times, it's one hell of a lot quicker to use this expressway to get from I-10 to I-8 and vice-versa for congestion avoidance. 

Henry

If you read my NAHIC thread, then you've seen me introduce a bunch of new numbers, and where I feel that they should go in the grid.

In retrospect, part of I-99 to Greensboro should be an extended I-83, I-97 should go all the way to Ocean City, and I-99 should be on the coast from New York to Savannah (with the current one being eliminated completely). Oh, and one of my new 2di's near Kansas City would be better off an extended I-29.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dvferyance

I can't see any possible place for an I-1 to go. US 101 in CA would have to be I-3 because of CA-1.

roadman65

Quote from: dvferyance on October 17, 2018, 04:53:02 PM

I can't see any possible place for an I-1 to go. US 101 in CA would have to be I-3 because of CA-1.
Have you been to Wisconsin or North Carolina lately? :D
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Quote from: roadman65 on October 17, 2018, 06:08:21 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on October 17, 2018, 04:53:02 PM

Have you been to Wisconsin or North Carolina lately? :D

The DOT's in both WI and NC tend to go along with multiple designations within a state; Caltrans definitely does not.  Adding that to their general reluctance to designate or sign new Interstate mileage, the chances of an "I-1" ever occurring in CA are very remote indeed!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.