News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

flickr pages

Started by agentsteel53, May 13, 2010, 10:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

If somebody asks for permission to use one of my pictures, I'm likely to grant it.  Unless it's for a cause that I oppose or it's somebody who has been annoying in the past, I find it flattering.

agentsteel53

19000 photos is crazy.  Doug's over 200000 is even more crazy!

I think I've processed and posted maybe 2000 photos in my life.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

I think it depends on how one photographs. Some people only take pictures that highlight the highway, others try to document the entire road, and take a picture of every single sign and situation. I do the latter, and I average approximately one photo per freeway kilometer (or ~ half a mile), depending on exit density.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Chris on May 15, 2010, 04:44:58 AM
I think it depends on how one photographs. Some people only take pictures that highlight the highway, others try to document the entire road, and take a picture of every single sign and situation. I do the latter, and I average approximately one photo per freeway kilometer (or ~ half a mile), depending on exit density.

I think that covers it well, although I cover more than just roads on mine, which has 32,701 photos on it. I do work to cover the following:

Train stations, roads, my hometown, parts of the history around the region, and the Raritan Arsenal (a project of mine).
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

agentsteel53

Quote from: Chris on May 15, 2010, 04:44:58 AMI do the latter, and I average approximately one photo per freeway kilometer (or ~ half a mile), depending on exit density.

sometimes I go several hours without taking a photo, if there are no old signs or interesting sights.  And of the ones I do take, I discard a lot ("hmm, another random button copy sign that isn't sufficiently different from the last one to warrant mention", "one of these five should come out not blurry", etc)

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 15, 2010, 12:17:51 AM

It really is to each ones own.  I'll stop and walk around and explore places vs. wanting to drive endlessly.  I usually enjoy a short four hour trip in my own backyard over driving 15-20 hours in one day.  I'd also say in my own and Doug's case there are more than just roads or signs.  It does appear those in this forum will use flickr more for the hobby (roadsigns etc) than a general photographic interest.  I've enjoyed flickr more on the photography side as I have made great contacts and learned a lot either from talking to them or seeing their work.

njroadhorse

I know this is the flickr page, but I don't like paying for flickr right now, so I will post my Photobucket page that has all my photos from after my computer crashed.

http://s957.photobucket.com/home/njroadhorse/index

Let me know if you wanna use a photo.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Dougtone

I have about 260,000 photos posted on Flickr, plus about another 6,000 photos in the queue from the past couple months that I haven't posted yet.  Not all of these photos are road-related, but there's plenty to see, especially here in the Northeast.  Currently, I am uploading some photos from a recent trip to Maine.

Dougtone

Here's another thing worth mentioning regarding Flickr.  There are also a number of groups that are for roads and signs on Flickr, including groups for New England, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina, Michigan, Canada and Oregon.  Basically, these groups are for displaying some of your best photos for others in the group.  Some of these groups also have an ongoing scavenger hunt contest.

mightyace

My page is at the bottom of posts  currently, but, of course, that may change.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

There are currently over 600 items, most of them roads.

I default to "all rights reserved", but as other have said, there's not much that you can do to keep someone from taking it.  If I am truly concerned about persevering the rights of a photo, I simply won't post it.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Rob Adams

My collection is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/steelyankee/  I'm happy to have my pictures used, especially if you let me know and give me credit.  I consider it an honor.

agentsteel53

Quote from: CanesFan27 on May 15, 2010, 11:45:37 AM

It really is to each ones own.  I'll stop and walk around and explore places vs. wanting to drive endlessly.  I usually enjoy a short four hour trip in my own backyard over driving 15-20 hours in one day.  I'd also say in my own and Doug's case there are more than just roads or signs.  It does appear those in this forum will use flickr more for the hobby (roadsigns etc) than a general photographic interest.  I've enjoyed flickr more on the photography side as I have made great contacts and learned a lot either from talking to them or seeing their work.

my flickr page definitely has less road-sign-oriented content than the AARoads blog.  I think I have maybe four photos tagged "highway sign", which is somewhat less than what is tagged "purple", "snow", or "northern lights".

jake@aaroads.com

US71

My page is linked at the bottom of my posts ;)

If you want to use one of my photos, please ask (not that it stopped the Cafe Press thief)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

Broke down and bought a Flickr Pro account a couple months ago.  Will be slowly adding material as time and motivation allow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajfroggie/

Regarding this comment of Kurumi's from awhile back:

QuoteWhat do y'all use for tagging highways in your pictures? I tend to use lowercase with no space or dash, e.g. i635, us26, ct2.

I use uppercase, with a dash for Interstates and a space for US/state/county routes.  I also include the state (typed out), county (i.e. Fairfax County), and (if applicable) nearby town/locality.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on September 08, 2010, 01:15:18 PM
I use uppercase, with a dash for Interstates and a space for US/state/county routes.  I also include the state (typed out), county (i.e. Fairfax County), and (if applicable) nearby town/locality.

I tend to spell it out so that search engines will bite better (hopefully!).  "us highway 2", "interstate highway 90", etc.  I tend not to label state or provincial routes.  For Canada I use "transcanada route 1" and for Mexico routes I use "mexico highway 5" as opposed to, say, "mexico federal highway 5". 

Also if the highway has a prominent name ("alaska highway") I use that.  

and flickr's tags are case-insensitive.  they are automatically converted to lowercase for internal and display purposes regardless of the case in which you enter them.

jake@aaroads.com

Dougtone

19000 photos is crazy.  Doug's over 200000 is even more crazy!

Not all of roads, signs or bridges either, but many of them are.

And one mustn't forget the Flickr groups either, with road and sign groups representing many states, provinces, etc.

Dougtone

Closing in on 300,000 photos on Flickr now. 
Quote from: Dougtone on September 08, 2010, 09:55:02 PM

And one mustn't forget the Flickr groups either, with road and sign groups representing many states, provinces, etc.

Closing in on 300,000 photos on Flickr now.  I've spent the last week or so uploading photos from a recent trip to Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.  Now I'm tackling the rest of my New York backlog (a few thousand photos there).

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Dougtone on December 12, 2010, 11:17:07 AM

Closing in on 300,000 photos on Flickr now. 
Quote from: Dougtone on September 08, 2010, 09:55:02 PM

Closing in on 300,000 photos on Flickr now.  I've spent the last week or so uploading photos from a recent trip to Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.  Now I'm tackling the rest of my New York backlog (a few thousand photos there).
295,000 alone is nuts, much less 300,000 but congrats :)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

US71

I was hoping for 6000 by the end of the year, but won't make it.  Still, I have at least 5x what I actually post filed away because I didn't think they were good enough.

Ian

I'd like to reach that high eventually, but I need to upgrade to a pro account first  :rolleyes:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US71

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 12, 2010, 04:56:46 PM
I'd like to reach that high eventually, but I need to upgrade to a pro account first  :rolleyes:

Yes, you should do that post haste  :)

Ian

I went ahead and upgraded my Flickr account to pro:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iccdude/

Started off with a few New York shots tonight, and will probably upload more from other states within the next few days.
Youtube l Flickr

CL

I'm on the verge of breaking 200 photos and will probably get a Pro account soon. I just want to know how you guys take pictures while driving at the same time. I'm getting sick of having one hand on the wheel and trying to balance a camera in the other trying to get a good shot and to not get the reflection of the dashboard in the picture. I'm getting better and better at this technique, but obviously it isn't the safest thing in the world. So, do you guys recommend any mounting equipment or something to that effect where I can take good quality photos without getting in a crash?
Infrastructure. The city.

US71

Quote from: CL on January 22, 2011, 10:15:48 PM
I'm on the verge of breaking 200 photos and will probably get a Pro account soon. I just want to know how you guys take pictures while driving at the same time. I'm getting sick of having one hand on the wheel and trying to balance a camera in the other trying to get a good shot and to not get the reflection of the dashboard in the picture. I'm getting better and better at this technique, but obviously it isn't the safest thing in the world. So, do you guys recommend any mounting equipment or something to that effect where I can take good quality photos without getting in a crash?

Most of my photos I stop and take the photo. If I'm driving, I slow down. I also take multiple/repeating shots and save the best one. I don't recommend this. I have a suction cup monopod, but don't have a way to remotely take a photo.  
You may also consider a black cloth across your dashboard to cut down on the reflection. Preferably a fabric that isn't shiny, like cotton or a cotton blend (or an old bath towel).

Addendum:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sunpak+-+Suction+Cup+Monopod/8345622.p?id=1176506228750&skuId=8345622&st=camera%20monopod&cp=1&lp=3

Ian

I use a black t-shirt to block the reflections.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.