News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

QC - Is the right-of-way belongs to the MTQ? Infolot will tell you!

Started by Richard3, May 28, 2017, 02:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard3

In province of Quebec, there was a time when the MTQ bought lots of land, in order to secure the right-of-way for future highways. So, in case of highways projects that never quit the MTQ drawing boards, it would be interesting to see if the MTQ still owns the right-of-way.  And now, there's possible!

The Quebec's Ministère de l'Énergie et des ressources naturelles (MERN) have an application called Infolot, that will show you each piece of land, and if you're ready to pay (6,70 CAD$ per day, longer - and cheaper - subscriptions are available), you can learn to who belongs the land, and some other informations.  This app works great in all areas where cadastral renovation is done (province is renovating the entire cadastre, in collaboration with the municipalities, on a multiple-year period). So you can see that some non-built sections of the A-40, in Trois-Rivières and in Quebec City, for example, still have their right-of-way owned by the MTQ.

Here's the link for the website.  For now, it seems to be only in french.

https://appli.mern.gouv.qc.ca/infolot/
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Fugazi

This is a great tool, and even without paying can be lots of fun! It's pretty easy to see where the right-of-way lies for many projected or abandoned stretches of autoroute, even without confirming the land actually belongs to the MTQ.

For instance...

Future extensions:
Land set aside for some well-known possible projects is easy to spot, such as the A-40 extension west of A-73 in Quebec City, the A-35 southern extension, the A-40 Trois-Rivières bypass, the A-410 Lennoxville bypass, the A-70 eastern extension.

There also seems to be land set aside for a short extension of the A-20 bypassing Ste-Flavie and meeting the R-132 at Rivière Mitis.

Also interestingly the A-25 extension north from Saint-Esprit to Rawdon is clearly visible, including a large interchange with the abandoned A-50/R-158 just north of Saint-Esprit.

Abandoned projects:
A-30 extension west of A-55 to Nicolet, Gatineau bypass from A-50 to R-148 ("A-550"). R-132 in Saint-Constant has a very wide right-of-way with room for exits, for the planned A-30 extension.

Other notes:
There is no obvious right-of-way acquired for any extension of the following autoroutes: A-73 St-Georges bypass, A-50 east of A-15, A-5 north of La Pêche, A-30 east of Sorel-Tracy, A-20 between Notre-Dame-des-Neiges and Rimouski, A-85 between St-Antonin and St-Louis-du-Ha-Ha (will probably be built in-line).

The A-6 right-of-way from St-Jean-sur-Richelieu to Farnham seems to have been parceled out for the most part and likely resold.

The A-13 right of way north of A-640 is partial and either hasn't ever been fully acquired by the MTQ or has been sold off.

I'm sure there are many more discoveries to be made! Especially if one paid for full data access.

vdeane

How do you get the lots to show up?  It may be because I don't understand French, but I only see a map of the municipalities when I click for the free access.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Fugazi

You will need to zoom in until the lots show up. Be aware that some areas have not been mapped yet, and those show up in white on the map.

vdeane

Ah, now I see them.  Very interesting to see that the right of way was already bought for many of these projects.  Guess that's why a proposal can lay dormant for decades and then come back to life.

A-955 also has ROW shown for interchanges, as does A-30 near Becancour.  I imagine A-55 will as well once that section gets mapped.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: vdeane on May 30, 2017, 02:11:40 PM

A-955 also has ROW shown for interchanges, as does A-30 near Becancour.  I imagine A-55 will as well once that section gets mapped.

Yeah, althought for future southbound lanes, the ROW is occupied by a 450 Kv high-tension Hydro-Quebec power line.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.05984,-72.16008&z=14&t=H

South of St-Albert however, I guess the MTQ had sold almost all the ROW down to Warwick and Richmond.

webfil

Quote from: Fugazi on May 29, 2017, 09:04:46 PMThere also seems to be land set aside for a short extension of the A-20 bypassing Ste-Flavie and meeting the R-132 at Rivière Mitis.
This is rather a provision for a R-132 rerouting, parallel to Chemin Perreault. I do not think that's a medium or even long term eventuality : even the new Mitis river bridge construction (page 15) does not feature provision for direct A-20/Grand-Métis connection.

Quote from: Fugazi on May 29, 2017, 09:04:46 PMAbandoned projects:
R-132 in Saint-Constant has a very wide right-of-way with room for exits, for the planned A-30 extension.
These will be surrendered to the neighbouring municipalities. Saint-Constant is currently planning a transit-oriented neighbourhood.

Quote from: Fugazi on May 29, 2017, 09:04:46 PM
There is no obvious right-of-way acquired for any extension of the following autoroutes: A-73 St-Georges bypass, A-50 east of A-15, A-30 east of Sorel-Tracy
Those were conceptualized, but never designed nor planned.

Quote from: Fugazi on May 29, 2017, 09:04:46 PMA-5 north of La Pêche, A-20 between Notre-Dame-des-Neiges and Rimouski, A-85 between St-Antonin and St-Louis-du-Ha-Ha
All planned, but not designed. Expropriations will occur upon final design.

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 31, 2017, 07:45:26 PMSouth of St-Albert however, I guess the MTQ had sold almost all the ROW down to Warwick and Richmond.
Same here. Planned, yes, but not designed; no land was acquired.

Quote from: Fugazi on May 29, 2017, 09:04:46 PMThe A-6 right-of-way from St-Jean-sur-Richelieu to Farnham seems to have been parceled out for the most part and likely resold.
Long story short : if the lot limits still show subdivision even after cadastral revision (purpose of InfoLot is to show cadastral revision progression), it's because the property is still divided (i.e. perhaps MTMDETQ is still legally the owner, although the attested (and tolerated) occupation is different ― often for reasons of agricultural efficiency). Otherwise, adjacent parcels of same ownership would have been reunited throughout renovation.

What struck me the most navigating through this area is that R-139 between Cowansville and Granby was designed to be a 4-lane divided highway with some interchanges at strategic intersections (R-104 west in Cowansville, Denison street, Gagné road, Cowie street and R-112 in Granby).

A second, northern bypass of Cowansville seems to have been designed at some point with connection to R-104W/R-139 interchange, routed through "Grand Boulevard nord" (a 300-metre oversized surface street that didn't even cross the railroad until some years ago), via Bordeaux/Albert intersection (artefacts of the ROW remain in the cadastre, the routing is even visible on aerial photo) and through J.-A.-Deragon boulevard until Pierre-Laporte road.

Quote from: Fugazi on May 29, 2017, 09:04:46 PMEspecially if one paid for full data access.
"Full data access" shows nothing more than parcel dimensions and matching unrenovated lot numbers + owner at date of revision for civil surveying and notarial purposes. No purpose for the common human being, unless you crawl the LRoQ website credit card in hand, and patronize your local Registry office.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.