News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Durango to Nuevo Vallarta by the Sierra

Started by Jbte, March 07, 2015, 12:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbte

Hello  :sombrero:

Last week I made an interesting trip through Sierra Madre in Mexico, in the states of Durango, Nayarit, Zacatecas and Jalisco. Here I share some pictures of this travel. This road its so windy, narrow and dangerous to travel, I don't think you'll ever travel in a place like this, but I share some pictures of this place. First here the map of places I have traveled:

Here pictures, sorry for low quality pictures...
Road from Durango to Nayarit: (sorry for few pics, I was scary to take pictures while driving in such dangerous place)

Road from Nayarit to Zacatecas: (I was better by then, so I took more pictures)

Fun facts:

-There are four different biomes in the same route, as like pine forest, oak forest, tropical jungle, desert (painted desert rivers), all in same day driving.
-You can reach up to 9,800 fts from sea level in the same route.
-The road goes up and down (in sea level) 4 times, offering spectacular views of the sierra madre mountains, you can go up to 5,000 fts in less than 10 miles.
-There are braking ramps to stop you in case if you lose your brakes during the downhills. Theres extendent slope for about 20 miles, where using engine brake is mandatory otherwise if you use your brakes it would get too hot and stop working... my car brakes got too hot for a moment, I had to stop for 20 mins until to cool. If you use too much your brakes, those will stop working and will cause you to lose control of your car and probably falling into a canyon...
-In some places, youre like inside of canyon walls, also there are some places called "docks", where there are cliffs at both sides of the road and impressive views comparable to the grand canyon of colorado.
-The external temperature, was a max of 90 F at low places like inside of canyons and a minimal of 40 F up high in the mountains, 50 F of difference in relative short distance.
-The total time traveled between Durango to Ruiz, Nayarit, was 10 hours of windy road, curves, immersive views, canyons, forest, jungle, desert and so on... (a route of 500 miles of windy roads)
-The road is new, however road conditions in some places are bad with potholes everywhere... still there was a section under construction for about 10 miles in direction to Zacatecas state.
-There are no gas stations in more than 300 miles, so its recommended to fill up you tank in latest gas station you see before going. There are many towns in route, but without gas sations and services.
-In a section of 60 miles of curves, windy road, and great views but no towns, all desolated and lonely.
-No cellphone coverage area mostly all route, no angel verdes, nothing to help you if you get a flat tire or something bad, but nothing happened to me...
-There's a high risk of being kidnnaped by the "bad guys" being in a desolate and lonely road, but didn't saw any of them in all the way... only indigenous people walking along the road, some soldiers passed, road work workers (including indigenous poor kids working on the road), INEGI workers, and everything else soo lonely... I just saw about 1 vehicle every two hours in all the route (a vehicle about every 100 miles).
-Even Mexicans fear going in those lonely roads, so I really doubt you'll travel that road in any point of your life  :-D...

slorydn1

Wow, those are some beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

nexus73

The pix made the sunshine, sky and land look extra bright and beautiful.  Bad road but pretty views galore!  Thanks for sharing JBTE.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.