News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Austin TX to Red River NM

Started by Dakotamade, September 26, 2016, 01:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakotamade

Hi
Seems to be lots of options getting to Red River from Austin. Anybody have suggestions on what route to take, or avoid?
Appreciate any advice-

Bobby5280

IMHO, the most direct route:
Take US-183 from Austin to Early,
leave US-183 for US-84,
Take US-84 to Abilene & I-20
Leave I-20 in Sweetwater,
Take US-84 to Lubbock, Clovis, Santa Rosa and I-25 South of Las Vegas.
Take NM-518 from Las Vegas to Mora, NM.
Take NM-434 from Mora to US-64 N. of Angel Fire,
Take US-64 to Eagle Nest and NM-38,
Take NM-38 to Red River.

Longer, but maybe less PITA route:
(more service stations, better roads, etc.)
I-35 from Austin to Ft Worth & US-287,
Take US-287 thru Amarillo to Dumas & US-87,
Take US-87 to Clayton, NM,
at Clayton pick up US-56/US-412,
drive West to I-25 at Springer,
go North on I-25 a few miles to Exit 419,
take NM-58 West to Cimarron and US-64,
take US-64 to Eagle Nest,
Take NM-38 to Red River.

coatimundi

Coming from Austin, I would guess you're going to ski, because that's what Texans do up there. The route will somewhat be dictated by the weather. The roads do sometimes close, and it's often I-25 as it's below the mountains and is more affected by drifts.
I would personally suggest the route via Angel Fire. It's very, very pretty, particularly 434. That Taos/Eagle Nest/Questa circle is known as the "Enchanted Circle" for good reason.

dfwmapper

I would not go through Fort Worth. You go a long way out of the way and there's still a lot of construction happening on I-35. There are plenty of services along US 183 and US 84, and they're mostly either 4 lanes or 2 lanes with alternating passing lanes.

texaskdog

There is a little shortcut around Abilene via Coleman that we always take

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.