News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com

Started by hm insulators, October 21, 2013, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Any good places to eat along I-180 (Illinois)?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

X99

Quote from: US71 on April 22, 2019, 07:46:13 AM
I-5 extended to Alaska

I-15 would probably be the one to go up there first. It's almost a four lane highway all the way to Calgary, Edmonton and Grande Prairie, and the rest could be a super-two until traffic volumes warrant an expansion, if that ever happens.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

MantyMadTown

Quote from: X99 on April 22, 2019, 10:30:57 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 22, 2019, 07:46:13 AM
I-5 extended to Alaska

I-15 would probably be the one to go up there first. It's almost a four lane highway all the way to Calgary, Edmonton and Grande Prairie, and the rest could be a super-two until traffic volumes warrant an expansion, if that ever happens.

The route you described is also part of the CANAMEX Corridor and goes all the way to the Alaska Highway. With some upgrades and bypasses we could create an interstate all the way to Grande Prairie if the US and Canada ever do a bi-national interstate system.
Forget the I-41 haters

TheHighwayMan3561

How many interstates continue as freeways on the Canadian side anyway?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rick Powell

Quote from: inkyatari on April 22, 2019, 01:56:43 PM
Any good places to eat along I-180 (Illinois)?

Probably a toss-up between Jonesy's Ranch House in Bureau Junction and Rolando's in Hennepin.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 23, 2019, 12:13:42 AM

Technically only one that has zero at grades on either side (ON 405 > I-190).

There are several that sort of count; the Peace Bridge (NY-ON) is actually a freeway only on the Canadian side, while the Thousand Islands (NY) and Peace Arch (WA) are at least free flowing if not freeway by definition.

X99

Quote from: webny99 on April 23, 2019, 08:48:20 AM

There are several that sort of count; the Peace Bridge (NY-ON) is actually a freeway only on the Canadian side, while the Thousand Islands (NY) and Peace Arch (WA) are at least free flowing if not freeway by definition.

And the Gordie Howe International Bridge, when it's done, will directly connect I-75 with ON 401.

Quote from: MantyMadTown on April 22, 2019, 11:51:55 PM
The route you described is also part of the CANAMEX Corridor and goes all the way to the Alaska Highway. With some upgrades and bypasses we could create an interstate all the way to Grande Prairie if the US and Canada ever do a bi-national interstate system.
Some of the bypasses are planned or being talked about. I did the rest here, including the super-two and optional highway upgrades in Alaska:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kTYzMJnqbueEnTn-w23gUUjHuF3shxjK&usp=sharing
Haven't made a Fictional Highways thread yet because I'm still finishing up some of the stuff around Anchorage.

Big John

I-5 to BC 99 is another.

X99

Quote from: Big John on April 23, 2019, 10:07:24 AM

I-5 to BC 99 is another.
Technically isn't a freeway, since each side has a crosswalk before crossing the border.

vdeane

I don't see any at-grades on ON 402.  I'd count the Peace Bridge as freeway-freeway now that the at-grade on the NY side has been removed, even though the bridge would still be a super-2.

Going down the whole border:
-I-5/BC 99 has an at-grade intersection north of the border and crosswalks in the park
-I-15 becomes an at-grade expressway
-I-29 becomes an at-grade expressway
-I-75 just ends
-I-94/ON 402 - see above, no at-grades detected
-Ambassador Bridge - direct freeway interchange on US side, surface street in CA
-ON 401 - will be freeway/freeway when the bridge is completed
-Peace Bridge/QEW - see above, freeway in CA, direct freeway interchange in NY
-I-190/ON 405 - see above, freeway/freeway
-I-81/ON 137 - surface street in CA before becoming a freeway and connecting to ON 401; super-2 bridges on either side
-I-87/A-15 - at-grade with stop sign on CA side
-I-89 - becomes (brief) four lane expressway, not 100% sure if it will be free of at-grades if/when A-35 is completed
-I-91/A-55 - at-grade with traffic light on CA side, second at-grade 5km from the border
-US 201/QC 173 - would become the reverse of the typical situation if A-73 were to be completed (not likely)
-I-95/NB 95 - at-grade on CA side
-NB 1 - freeway on CA side, ends on US side - could become freeway/freeway if Maine were to actually build the east-west Turnpike they keep talking about

This is all light-years better than the situation on the border when Mexico, which has nothing even remotely resembling a freeway-freeway crossing, at least for cars; trucks have the World Trade Bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on April 23, 2019, 01:24:52 PM
This is all light-years better than the situation on the border when Mexico, which has nothing even remotely resembling a freeway-freeway crossing, at least for cars; trucks have the World Trade Bridge.

Our friends regularly use the Anzaldúas crossing, and that definitely meets the criterion of "remotely resembling a freeway-freeway crossing".  There are only two at-grade intersections and zero stoplights or stop signs (not counting customs) between I-2 and Fed-40–a distance of 12 miles.  I-2 is a freeway, although it interchanges with FM-396 via diamond interchange.  Fed-40 isn't quite a freeway, but it is a major multi-lane highway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

X99

People don't try to smuggle drugs into the US from Canada as much as they do from Mexico.

cjk374

Quote from: X99 on April 24, 2019, 10:25:34 AM
People don't try to smuggle drugs into the US from Canada as much as they do from Mexico.

They dig tunnels for the US/Mexico trade.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

J N Winkler

The Santa Teresa border crossing also comes pretty close to free-flow, with a two-lane freeway on the Mexican side connecting (albeit with one at-grade intersection at Mex. 2) to a four-lane divided expressway on the US side.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 11, 2019, 06:21:07 PM
What is the highest classification of road beside which you have (insert any illegal activity here)?
Already done - see  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4969.0  Public urination is an illegal activity.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: X99 on April 24, 2019, 10:25:34 AM

I didn't consider a customs stop or military checkpoint to be in violation of a freeway-to-freeway connection.  For what it's worth, it's often possible to drive from Mexico into the USA and not have to stop at all until US customs.  I've even driven south into Mexico a couple of times when the border was wide open and I could have proceeded without stopping at all (except for the toll booth) if I hadn't needed any paperwork.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2019, 07:24:52 PM

What is the highest classification of road beside which you have (insert any illegal activity here)?

Urinating in public is an illegal activity, isn't it?

Quote from: roadman on April 24, 2019, 01:59:34 PM

Already done - see  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4969.0  Public urination is an illegal activity.

Is there an echo in here?
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Ford makes new truck called the Fump
Contractor signs M-185 as Interstate
NYT Opinion – Justin Amash made the right choice by dumping Trump *
It wasn't just a mapo: US 47 existed and was signed in Indiana for five months
Boston Revolution promoted to Champions League

*I estimate the chance of Representative Amash having the deciding vote for the 2020 presidential election winner to be about 1 in 1000. Not impossible, but very unlikely. In comparison, I estimate this chance to be about 1 in 50 for Chief Justice Roberts.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

CNGL-Leudimin

The Witch Doctor reveals he gave the wrong magic words to the Cartoons
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

sparker

I-710 completed after detour through San Marino.

Verlanka

Quote from: sparker on May 09, 2019, 12:28:02 PM

You mean through Santa Barbara? :colorful:

formulanone

While we're at it: San Marino's Autostradas

TheHighwayMan3561

Stoplights that need to stay red longer
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sparker

Quote from: formulanone on May 10, 2019, 11:24:00 AM

While we're at it: San Marino's Autostradas

Constructing an Interstate through the nation-state of San Marino is just about as feasible as constructing one through SoCal's San Marino!

hotdogPi

US 285 in Fairplay, CO to be named Kilkenny Highway
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.