AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Connecticut News  (Read 1372424 times)

shadyjay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:47:45 PM
Re: Connecticut News
« Reply #5850 on: March 10, 2024, 11:56:19 PM »

ConnDOT doesn't seem to believe in overlays.  The CT 2 project has recycled the button copy exit tabs onto the top of the new signs with the new numbers tarped.  The CT 8 exit renumbering project will put in all new exit tabs.  The I-384 and I-291 projects will probably do some method of what's happening on CT 2. 

If they did do overlays, then they could just renumber all exits at once and worry about sign replacement when they get around to it.  But then they couldn't stretch it out to 2030 (at the earliest).

Then there's the case of the Merritt, which doesn't have exit tabs to replace.  So overlays will have to suffice on that project.  We'll find out later this spring when the plans come out.

RobbieL2415

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 03:38:04 PM
« Reply #5851 on: March 11, 2024, 02:23:47 PM »

ConnDOT doesn't seem to believe in overlays.  The CT 2 project has recycled the button copy exit tabs onto the top of the new signs with the new numbers tarped.  The CT 8 exit renumbering project will put in all new exit tabs.  The I-384 and I-291 projects will probably do some method of what's happening on CT 2. 

If they did do overlays, then they could just renumber all exits at once and worry about sign replacement when they get around to it.  But then they couldn't stretch it out to 2030 (at the earliest).

Then there's the case of the Merritt, which doesn't have exit tabs to replace.  So overlays will have to suffice on that project.  We'll find out later this spring when the plans come out.
It's curious to me that they are replacing signage on the eastern most portions of I-84, when the signs on the East Hartford to Vernon stretch are objectively older and in worse shape.

shadyjay

« Reply #5852 on: March 11, 2024, 03:04:36 PM »

It's curious to me that they are replacing signage on the eastern most portions of I-84, when the signs on the East Hartford to Vernon stretch are objectively older and in worse shape.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me, either.  Those from Vernon out to the state line date back to the late 90s and were probably the first generation of Phase IV signs to be put up, as they predate the "service bar".  Still, the ones from East Hartford to Vernon (Rt 15 to 30/83) have to be from the 1980s and don't have a target for replacement yet.  Maybe, its possible it has to do with the fact that there's highway lighting in the area so the signs are visible that way, while east of Tunnel Rd, its pretty dark and you need good reflective signs.  I don't know, just a thought.

What's also interesting is the current project on I-91 from North Haven to Meriden is replacing the same generation of signs being replaced in the I-84 project, while those north of Hartford to the state line date to the 1988-1992 time frame. 

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: March 12, 2024, 03:26:46 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #5853 on: March 12, 2024, 03:26:46 PM »

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me, either.  Those from Vernon out to the state line date back to the late 90s and were probably the first generation of Phase IV signs to be put up, as they predate the "service bar".  Still, the ones from East Hartford to Vernon (Rt 15 to 30/83) have to be from the 1980s and don't have a target for replacement yet.  Maybe, its possible it has to do with the fact that there's highway lighting in the area so the signs are visible that way, while east of Tunnel Rd, its pretty dark and you need good reflective signs.  I don't know, just a thought.

What's also interesting is the current project on I-91 from North Haven to Meriden is replacing the same generation of signs being replaced in the I-84 project, while those north of Hartford to the state line date to the 1988-1992 time frame. 

You'd think they'd do the I-91 north of Hartford bc they're still button copy.

The i-91 signage by North Haven, I saw the new rest area signs that are sheet metal. They're warping already.  That just amazes me on the cheapness.

Btw, CTDOT will regret not adding the third lane on I-91 SB.  Traffic will still backup there.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

kurumi

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:06:26 PM
    • kurumi.com
« Reply #5854 on: March 15, 2024, 02:35:18 AM »

Some interesting alternatives in the Hartford Mobility Study:

https://hartfordmobility.com/ghms/PEL/Appendix%20I%20-%20Universe%20of%20Alternatives.pdf
- how long a project might take, and whether or not to withdraw from consideration

https://hartfordmobility.com/ghms/PEL/Appendix%20J%20-%20Alternatives%20Screening.pdf
- cost estimates, and whether benefits exceed costs (or vice versa; or is it a tie)

https://hartfordmobility.com/ghms/PEL/Appendix%20L%20-%20Implementation%20Plan.pdf

Fun stuff like:
* New East-West Connection, Newington
* Regional Freeway System Interchange Completion: Route 5/Route 99 Interchange
* Regional Freeway System Interchange Completion: Day Hill Road/I-91 Interchange

Also rail and bus alternatives; and for the metro area, not just Hartford/East Hartford

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

RobbieL2415

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 03:38:04 PM
« Reply #5855 on: March 15, 2024, 09:25:30 AM »

It's like throwing darts at at wall and seeing what sticks.

This one is might be the most ridiculous:

Metacomet Ridge Crossing
• Description – Construct a new
road across or tunneled beneath
the Metacomet Ridge in
Farmington, West Hartford,
and/or Avon.

This is why I don't like these studies. They're transit researchers with engineering or political backgrounds that don't understand that many of their solutions would take decades of planning and encounter fierce community opposition.

Unless a study is published directly from ConnDOT, I take it with a grain of salt.

SectorZ

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 06:05:46 PM
« Reply #5856 on: March 15, 2024, 03:35:47 PM »

Adding a new lane to I-91 S/B from exit 29 to exit 25 in that mobility study seems interesting. I don't know if there is room in the footprint of the bridge over the Wethersfield Cove channel and next to the noise barrier that exists south after it.

I really feel there are no easy ways out in fixing the traffic in the area. Almost anything that needs to be done involves taking private land and that concept is pretty radioactive these days, especially with the cost involved.

The solar canopies in the parking lots for the various mass transit stations seems like a no-brainer. I wish Massachusetts would get off their ass and get that done themselves.

mariethefoxy

• I'm a traveling fox :3

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:19:57 AM
    • Magic Foxy Artworks
« Reply #5857 on: March 15, 2024, 09:38:39 PM »

Adding a new lane to I-91 S/B from exit 29 to exit 25 in that mobility study seems interesting. I don't know if there is room in the footprint of the bridge over the Wethersfield Cove channel and next to the noise barrier that exists south after it.

I really feel there are no easy ways out in fixing the traffic in the area. Almost anything that needs to be done involves taking private land and that concept is pretty radioactive these days, especially with the cost involved.

The solar canopies in the parking lots for the various mass transit stations seems like a no-brainer. I wish Massachusetts would get off their ass and get that done themselves.

For that it looks like there's more room on the northbound side since its not right up against a neighborhood, one of the other big bottlenecks is getting onto 91 from the Charter Oak Bridge approach (Route 15), that exit needs to be 2 lanes and get rid of the duplicate exit for 91 thats like a short while down the road. Another thing I would suggest is, like one of those Average Time to signs that says Average Time to I-691/Wilbur Cross Pkwy via 91 or via 15 Berlin Tpke.

shadyjay

« Reply #5858 on: March 15, 2024, 09:43:15 PM »

For that it looks like there's more room on the northbound side since its not right up against a neighborhood, one of the other big bottlenecks is getting onto 91 from the Charter Oak Bridge approach (Route 15), that exit needs to be 2 lanes and get rid of the duplicate exit for 91 thats like a short while down the road. Another thing I would suggest is, like one of those Average Time to signs that says Average Time to I-691/Wilbur Cross Pkwy via 91 or via 15 Berlin Tpke.

The exit for traffic from the Charter Oak Bridge South to I-91 South should enter I-91 on the left.  There's just way too many slow moving trucks that come off the bridge and are stuck in the far left lane then try to get over to the right.  The better solution would be to close that ramp and improve the "second chance" ramp.  That ramp already enters on the right... improve the geometry, make it 2 lanes, then it would enter I-91 South on the right, instead of the left, and would form the basis for that 4th lane through Wethersfield Cove, extending to Route 3.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.