News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cape Hatteras

Started by The High Plains Traveler, September 28, 2016, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The High Plains Traveler

We're planning a monster road trip in October that would take us from the Rockies to the east coast of Delaware, then down to Hilton Head and back - not home, but through Santa Fe to meet up with family before turning north to go home. A segment I would really like to do is the road along Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands (NC-12).

Please advise me of pitfalls of this route if I have a semblance of a schedule to meet. I note there are two ferries; the one from Hatteras to Ocracoke appears to run frequently, but the one from Ocracoke to the mainland at Cedar Island appears to be down to two crossings each way per day by that time of year. I'll certainly go back to calculate when I'd need to be at Ocracoke to make the crossing, but what else to I need to look out for. The day before, I'd probably purchase passage on that ferry to be sure I'd have a spot.

And just for information, what I'm trying to achieve is to complete I-70 and to put my feet on the ground in Delaware so I din't have to have an asterisk next to it on the "states visited" list. Plus, visiting some reportedly nice oceanfront when the tourist season is past.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

hbelkins

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 28, 2016, 06:17:09 PM
We're planning a monster road trip in October that would take us from the Rockies to the east coast of Delaware, then down to Hilton Head and back - not home, but through Santa Fe to meet up with family before turning north to go home. A segment I would really like to do is the road along Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands (NC-12).

Please advise me of pitfalls of this route if I have a semblance of a schedule to meet. I note there are two ferries; the one from Hatteras to Ocracoke appears to run frequently, but the one from Ocracoke to the mainland at Cedar Island appears to be down to two crossings each way per day by that time of year. I'll certainly go back to calculate when I'd need to be at Ocracoke to make the crossing, but what else to I need to look out for. The day before, I'd probably purchase passage on that ferry to be sure I'd have a spot.

And just for information, what I'm trying to achieve is to complete I-70 and to put my feet on the ground in Delaware so I din't have to have an asterisk next to it on the "states visited" list. Plus, visiting some reportedly nice oceanfront when the tourist season is past.

You will be out of there after peak tourist season, but watch out for hurricanes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2016, 09:28:49 PM

You will be out of there after peak tourist season, but watch out for hurricanes.
I've reflected on the possibility that this could be the year the Southeast makes up for its historic deficit of hurricanes. We'd just have to adapt in the event it's necessary.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

slorydn1

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 28, 2016, 09:42:52 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2016, 09:28:49 PM

I've reflected on the possibility that this could be the year the Southeast makes up for its historic deficit of hurricanes. We'd just have to adapt in the event it's necessary.

Ahh, so it's YOUR fault we've had an uptick in tropical activity down this way. I was wondering who to blame! :happy:

Don't worry I have the same luck. If you are ever having a drought call me. I'll come to your house, detail my Mustang in your drive way and I guarantee you will be under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch within 4 hours of me finishing the car. :)

In all seriousness, NC-12 is beautiful, especially between US-64 and Hatteras. Here is the ferry system schedule so you don't have to look it up: https://www.ncdot.gov/download/transit/ferry/ferryschedule.pdf

Other than some construction delays at the Cedar Island end of the ferry on NC-12/US-70 I am not aware of anything that would cause you any undue delays.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Rothman

I didn't have any trouble even in tourist season getting spots on the ferries (reserved when I could as well).  Lots of stuff to see and do in the Outer Banks, such as the Wright Brothers site, the lighthouse climbs and beaches and Duck Donuts.  Ocracoke is a nice, laid-back kind of place.  Heading over to Portsmouth Village is nice if you're into history and collecting shells.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.