Right Idea, Wrong Sign

Started by vtk, April 01, 2015, 12:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 03, 2020, 09:23:13 PM

Quote from: bcroadguy on January 03, 2020, 04:16:07 AM
I think this is a pretty good example of right idea, wrong sign

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.443862,-123.5266725,3a,25.2y,264.24h,87.51t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-MOvRIXpyU6KqyHIELrEjw!2e0!5s20180501T000000!7i13312!8i6656
What sign would you rather have there? "Keep Right" Black/White Sign?

I guess that yellow sign implies a Divided Highway

kphoger's examples look like "Traffic Circle" signs would be more appropriate, or Right Turn Only

Should be R4-7 instead.  A yellow diamond is a warning sign telling you about an upcoming hazard.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GenExpwy

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.408343,-77.6161798,3a,37.5y,269.58h,91.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfwmHCGKp4G9yadxlQ_O5nQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

About 15 years ago, NYSDOT posted these on NY 21 in each direction approaching the Hornell reservoirs. If GSV is too blurry, it says:
CAUTION
REDUCED SALT
AREA
NEXT 1.5 MILES

The sign guy apparently forgot that white on a blue rectangle is for services; warning is black on a yellow diamond. They were taken away a few years ago.
(Also, Helvetica.)

roadfro

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 03, 2020, 09:30:36 PM

Well, the yellow sign is for the end of a divided highway. In the instance in question, it's been placed upside down at the beginning of one.

The yellow warning sign shown here can be used to signal the beginning of or end of a divided highway, depending on the orientation. The MUTCD specifies separate sign codes, W6-1 and W6-2, for warning of the beginning and end of a divided highway, respectively.

The MUTCD (Sec 2C.22) explicitly prohibits using the W6-1 begin divided highway sign instead of a R4-7 "Keep Right" series sign on a median island.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

Quote from: roadfro on January 05, 2020, 02:58:15 PM

Well, the yellow sign is for the end of a divided highway. In the instance in question, it's been placed upside down at the beginning of one.

The yellow warning sign shown here can be used to signal the beginning of or end of a divided highway, depending on the orientation. The MUTCD specifies separate sign codes, W6-1 and W6-2, for warning of the beginning and end of a divided highway, respectively.

The MUTCD (Sec 2C.22) explicitly prohibits using the W6-1 begin divided highway sign instead of a R4-7 "Keep Right" series sign on a median island.

For the sake of the lazy or unaccustomed, here is the pertinent verbiage:

Quote from: MUTCD 2009 Edition
Section 2C.22 Divided Highway Sign (W6-1)

Guidance:
01 A Divided Highway (W6-1) sign (see Figure 2C-5) should be used on the approaches to a section of highway (not an intersection or junction) where the opposing flows of traffic are separated by a median or other physical barrier.

Standard:
02   The Divided Highway (W6-1) sign shall not be used instead of a Keep Right (R4-7 series) sign on the approach end of a median island.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

marleythedog

And since the original example was from British Columbia... Manual of Standard Traffic Signs& Pavement Markings PDF page 85

The  W-48  DIVIDED  HIGHWAY  ENDS  sign  warns  motorists  of  an impending  transition  from  divided  highway  operation  to  undivided highway operation.This  sign  shall  only  be  used  on  multi-lane  highways.    This sign shall not be used at a channelized intersection or in place of the R-14 KEEP RIGHT sign.

TBH, I don't see anywhere in that manual that allows for that diagram to be used as a Divided Highway Begins sign in BC.

jakeroot

Quote from: marleythedog on January 06, 2020, 12:19:28 PM
And since the original example was from British Columbia... Manual of Standard Traffic Signs& Pavement Markings PDF page 85

Finally. I was starting to worry that people had forgotten about the example being in Canada.

kphoger

Sorry, I saw palm trees in the GSV shot and assumed I didn't need to even look at the location.   :sombrero:
Male pronouns, please.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: roadfro on January 05, 2020, 02:58:15 PM

The  W-48  DIVIDED  HIGHWAY  ENDS  sign  warns  motorists  of  an impending  transition  from  divided  highway  operation  to  undivided highway operation.This  sign  shall  only  be  used  on  multi-lane  highways.    This sign shall not be used at a channelized intersection or in place of the R-14 KEEP RIGHT sign.

TBH, I don't see anywhere in that manual that allows for that diagram to be used as a Divided Highway Begins sign in BC.

So, in the US, I was right but for the wrong reason, and in Canada, I was right for the right reason. Since the sign was in Canada, then, I was technically correct . . . the best kind of correct.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2020, 03:27:08 PM
Sorry, I saw palm trees in the GSV shot and assumed I didn't need to even look at the location.   :sombrero:

Vancouver Island, BC's Lower Mainland, and the Okanagan are basically the only three places in Canada where you'll find palm trees. Everywhere else gets too cold, IIRC (with the Okanagan just barely being warm enough). Not natural to any of those places, of course. But the climate does work well enough for them.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2020, 03:02:57 PM

Finally. I was starting to worry that people had forgotten about the example being in Canada.
To be fair, there was no location context mentioned in the original post. I just looked at the street view image without examining location details.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on January 07, 2020, 11:19:09 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2020, 03:02:57 PM

To be fair, there was no location context mentioned in the original post. I just looked at the street view image without examining location details.

There were some contextual clues: the slightly narrow arrows on the warning sign, and the cross-hatching between single-yellow lines (relatively unusual in the US apart from some occasions), and (for car-geeks) a five-door Toyota Echo hatch (not sold in the US) off to the left in the parking lot.

roadman

Quote from: bcroadguy on January 03, 2020, 04:16:07 AM
I think this is a pretty good example of right idea, wrong sign

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.443862,-123.5266725,3a,25.2y,264.24h,87.51t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-MOvRIXpyU6KqyHIELrEjw!2e0!5s20180501T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Noted similar installations in the Champaign/Urbana area on my past couple of trips to visit relatives out there.  Not sure if they're local installations or ID(i)OT though.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

meh.  Some white paint on the road would work better.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2020, 11:16:46 AM

Until the early 1980s, it was common practice in Massachusetts to put a separate sign reading STOP LINE at the actual stop line, where one was marked on the pavement.   

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on January 09, 2020, 11:26:22 AM

Until the early 1980s, it was common practice in Massachusetts to put a separate sign reading STOP LINE at the actual stop line, where one was marked on the pavement.

At all stop lines (stop-control, signals)?

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

roadman

Quote from: 1 on January 09, 2020, 04:03:03 PM

First time I've seen a white on green Stop Line sign.  The ones in MA were black on white.

roadman

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2020, 03:54:03 PM

Generally used only at signalized intersections, but occasionally used at stop-controlled locations where the Stop sign and the Stop line were offset from each other as well.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on January 09, 2020, 04:34:58 PM

Generally used only at signalized intersections, but occasionally used at stop-controlled locations where the Stop sign and the Stop line were offset from each other as well.

Gotcha. I was thinking that using them at all intersections, stop and signal controlled, would have been overkill. Still overkill to use them at every intersection IMO (then again, the practice died off, so I must not have been alone in thinking that).

roadman

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2020, 09:10:30 PM
Quote from: roadman on January 09, 2020, 04:34:58 PM

Gotcha. I was thinking that using them at all intersections, stop and signal controlled, would have been overkill. Still overkill to use them at every intersection IMO (then again, the practice died off, so I must not have been alone in thinking that).

MassDPW discontinued use of Stop Line signs in the late 1980s, although the MDC continued to use them into the DCR era.  I encounter a straggler out there every so often, but I haven't seen a new install in some time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.