News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Charlotte

Started by wriddle082, October 15, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nature Boy

It depends on what NCDOT values:

Widening I-95 helps people get through the state more quickly. But I-95 mainly serves Fayetteville and the poor parts of eastern NC so I can see why it isn't an especially high priority. Making traffic flow through Charlotte might be a higher priority since I assume that more North Carolinians will benefit.

It's a classic urban vs. rural funding question though. I-95 is very important to people in say Halifax, Nash or Johnston counties but the rest of the state really gets little benefit. For those people though, I-95 is important. The argument for Charlotte is that more free-flowing traffic might encourage businesses to relocate to the area and will facilitate its growth.

NCDOT could benefit both rural and urban NC by building a southern tier freeway using what has already been built for I-74 between Rockingham and Lumberton. It would connect Wilmington and southeastern NC to Charlotte and better connecting Charlotte to western NC and Asheville. I imagine that you'd see more sprawl into Union and Gaston Counties with the building of an east-west interstate highway through the area and it might alleviate some of the sprawl in Cabarrus County and northern Mecklenburg County.

brownpelican

The CRTPO voted Wednesday night in favor of the I-77 toll lanes project.

Work is already underway on the project.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone know if toll lanes are coming to any other parts of Charlotte's freeway system?

froggie

Probably.  ETL's (as Maryland calls them) are proposed for parts of I-485 and two sections of US 74.  In addition, the Monroe bypass is currently under construction and will be a toll road.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 22, 2016, 04:31:25 PM
Does anyone know if toll lanes are coming to any other parts of Charlotte's freeway system?

Toll lane will also be on I-485, between US 74 and I-77/US 21, and on US 74 (Independence Frwy/Blvd).  These will be operated by NCDOT, thus not have the same issues as the I-77 lanes constructed by Cintra.

froggie

Did you not see my response, Washu? (complete with links to the project websites)

noelbotevera

Long ago, I don't really recall I-77 having heavy traffic. Has Charlotte grown massively after ten years?

ModernDayWarrior

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 24, 2016, 11:05:54 AM
Long ago, I don't really recall I-77 having heavy traffic. Has Charlotte grown massively after ten years?

Just out of curiosity, how can you possibly remember what Charlotte traffic was like ten years ago?

But yes, the Charlotte area is growing rapidly, as is the state of North Carolina in general.

ARMOURERERIC

I remember Charlotte traffic 20 years ago!

noelbotevera

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on January 24, 2016, 07:00:10 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on January 24, 2016, 11:05:54 AM

Just out of curiosity, how can you possibly remember what Charlotte traffic was like ten years ago?
I got a deep memory of my adventures of North Carolina.

froggie

Which suggests that you aren't the age you claim to be...

noelbotevera

Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2016, 07:56:42 PM
No, my age is correct, but sometimes I just have that good of a memory. I was in fact around one year old when we visited Charlotte.

US71

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 24, 2016, 08:56:21 PM
No, my age is correct, but sometimes I just have that good of a memory. I was in fact around one year old when we visited Charlotte.

Yet IMDB says you've been a member since October 2001, unless there's another noelbotevera out there?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

noelbotevera

Quote from: US71 on January 24, 2016, 09:07:02 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on January 24, 2016, 08:56:21 PM

Yet IMDB says you've been a member since October 2001, unless there's another noelbotevera out there?
That's my dad.

Rothman

Lots more of his posts have suggested that.

Frankly, I find it creepy that someone would pretend to be an 11-year old.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ARMOURERERIC

I crossed over I-77 today on the NC 150 overpass.  At that point 77's entire median had been final graded.

Rothman

Quote from: Rothman on January 26, 2016, 08:51:21 AM

Lots more of his posts have suggested that.

Frankly, I find it creepy that someone would pretend to be an 11-year old.

Seems we were wrong. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

I could be wrong, so wrong!

Lyrics from Maybe, Maybe
By A-ha
Album: Scoundrel Days
Year: 1986

ARMOURERERIC

I am too lazy to look it up, but where is the northern limit of the I-77 work?

noelbotevera

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 13, 2016, 10:25:10 PM
I am too lazy to look it up, but where is the northern limit of the I-77 work?
If you mean the express lanes, it ends at Exit 36.

Third Strike

Has there been any updates on the US 74 widening project in Charlotte? Original completion date was October 2016, but there's still a ton of work to be done, especially around the Sharon Amity interchange. I'm guessing Spring of 2017 at this rate?

wriddle082

Quote from: Third Strike on October 02, 2016, 07:30:56 PM
Has there been any updates on the US 74 widening project in Charlotte? Original completion date was October 2016, but there's still a ton of work to be done, especially around the Sharon Amity interchange. I'm guessing Spring of 2017 at this rate?

I remember hearing that the original contractor defaulted back around the beginning of this year, and NCDOT had to find another contractor.

jpi

Actually, he is the age that he says he is, he was at my road meet and his dad this past April, his real name is Alex.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Now to get back on topic, last time I passed through Charlotte was in 2008 and even then I can tell it had grown significantly grown since the mid 90's when I travelled through there regularly on road trips back and forth from York, PA to Columbia\ Sumter, SC
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Rothman

Quote from: jpi on October 04, 2016, 12:50:13 AM

Actually, he is the age that he says he is, he was at my road meet and his dad this past April, his real name is [deleted].

Dude...some people prefer to be anonymous on here.  Not cool to out their real name, even in defense of their age. :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.